• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experience with Guangzhou Fire Turbocharger EB32G?

Lengrep

Hi Greg,

It looked a little that way, its one of the standard aftermarket T3 turbos...maybe they altered the compressor & impellor, but housing-wise its generic. It can be made to fit, but likely only the T3 flange is bolt-on...the exhaust will need customising, the inlet machined to fit and the oil-lines re-plumbed.

Unfortunately there arent any 'small' modern turbos suited to 2litre applications that have the T3 exhaust flange.... this ancient flange is only used on ~4+litre diesel turbos these days. Byron had success with an Isuzu turbo, but I imagine that required much customisation to fit (I think its even water cooled).  I just purchased a Holset HX35W, T3, twin scroll, oil-cooled, 9cm2 (0.6AR) with an internal wastegate...may try fitting that over christmas.....

Edited by dlacey
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Update to the update....

Marc is going to see what he can do to make this unit work. It needs to be clocked 90-degrees, which should be easy. It also needs adapters for the oil supply. Not sure what else. I will post progress.  Pulling my car out of his shop while he works on turbo modifications. 

Greg

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

All,

Here's a physical comparison of a Holset HX35W and my battered EB32G:

IMG_20201106_150242_copy_1614x960.jpg

T3 Flange, turbine housing external dimensions rather similar.

IMG_20201106_150212_copy_1614x1013.jpg

This Holset has internal wastegate and VBand flange to the exhaust pipe.

IMG_20201106_150139_copy_1614x832.jpg

The oil feed is the same thread as the EB32G, the drain is different. I am not yet sure if all that wastegate actuator hardware will physically fit, if there's a clash then I will need to fabricate some contraption...

IMG_20201106_150114_copy_1614x854.jpg

Compressor housing is significantly larger, the inducer turbine is similar size and design.

IMG_20201106_150025_copy_1614x2779.jpg

IMG_20201106_150047_copy_1614x2683.jpg

I think I can trim the inlet flange on a lathe to make the E20 elbow fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

3 hours ago, wkohler said:

What do you think the chances are that compressor housing will fit next to the frame rail mounted on the manifold?  Seems considerably larger.  

IMG_20201106_183539_copy_832x1552.jpg

This is a Garrett TA34 with a similar large compressor housing, currently on my car. It clears the frame rail OK. 

This turbo was the only twin scroll T3 I could readily find in Malaysia...it's got no waste gate (like the EB32G) and it generates too much boost...that's why I wanna change to something with a wastegate.

• 2 weeks later...

Marc Norris is optimistic.  He's ordered the adapters for oil lines, and evaluated potential fit issues.  So far, so good.  I'll update the group when I've got my car back in his shop for fitting...hoping for the best!  

If this works, it's a very affordable solution.  Maybe we can work out a group buy and adapter kits, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Can't wait to drive the darn thing again...with full boost...for more than a couple hundred miles!

Greg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, Lengrep said:

Here are some photos of the unit.  Marc Norris is going to remove my failed KKK for re-overhaul, and install the Fire Turbo unit.  We should know soon if it's any good!

Greg

IMG_3704.jpeg

IMG_3695.jpeg

IMG_3697.jpeg

IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3701.jpeg

IMG_3702.jpeg

IMG_3703.jpeg

The front cover is at least kkk, you can see where they ground off the 3 k's in the triangle. I would assume the housings are old kkk but the internals are probably chinese junk. 

1 minute ago, 2002iii said:

The front cover is at least kkk, you can see where they ground off the 3 k's in the triangle. I would assume the housings are old kkk but the internals are probably chinese junk. 

We have a known quality, modern German (I think) turbocharger coming from Oldenzaal in the Netherlands.  It's what they've been using in their restorations for cars that are driven with excellent results.  That's what I'll put in later, but Marc and I just agreed to give the Chinese unit a shot before doing that.  If it's decent quality, it would provide all of us an attractively priced option for road use while keeping our KKK's in a glass case on the shelf...

The housings are new castings, not old stock, so perhaps reverse engineered.  From what we can see, it looks legitimate, and certainly many thousands of turbochargers are produced every year for the domestic Chinese auto market, so I wouldn't assume (though I fear) that it's junk.  The Chinese auto industry is fairly mature at this point, thanks to all the foreign manufacturers who stampeded into the Chinese market with their advanced technology and manufacturing know how.  I just can't learn anything useful about this particular rather small manufacturer, which appears to specialize in replacement turbochargers.  I'll let you know "soon".

Greg

• Like 2

I've had to many bad experiences with Chinese parts that look great on the outside but if you take them apart you find rough castings and other crap. I wish you good luck but I won't be surprised if it blows up. The Chinese have been ripping things off for 1000s of years and probably won't stop anytime soon.

The only thing that is needed is the exhaust turbine housing. If that is a direct match then the rest can be junk. They reality is that the OE housings only last ~20K miles. My engine has gone through 4 turbochargers in its life. And most of that has been with cracked housings with no discernible loss in performance. I consider this unit to be a "maintenance" item.

The exhaust manifolds are about the same in mileage.

So, collect a full set of each depending on how much you actually drive the car.

All that said with driving the car HARD, but with a little proper cooling off before shut down, which is mainly to prevent coking; modern synthetic oils tend to prevent that in my view.

BTW the Holset looks to be a bit big. At what RPM does the boost come on?

35 minutes ago, wkohler said:

I certainly am interested in the progress of this.  Thank you.  

The folks at Oldenzaal are open to selling additional units to non-clients.  If there is interest, I can see what we could get for a group buy discount.  It is supposedly a drop in replacement, requiring no modification to the fuel injection curves.  Boost comes on at lower RPM, typical of modern turbochargers, they say.  Stock boost.

38 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

The only thing that is needed is the exhaust turbine housing. If that is a direct match then the rest can be junk. They reality is that the OE housings only last ~20K miles. My engine has gone through 4 turbochargers in its life. And most of that has been with cracked housings with no discernible loss in performance. I consider this unit to be a "maintenance" item.

The exhaust manifolds are about the same in mileage.

So, collect a full set of each depending on how much you actually drive the car.

All that said with driving the car HARD, but with a little proper cooling off before shut down, which is mainly to prevent coking; modern synthetic oils tend to prevent that in my view.

BTW the Holset looks to be a bit big. At what RPM does the boost come on?

So the exhaust turbine housing is the weak point? Where do they crack?

Sounds like if you want to really drive them like a turbo should be you want an aftermarket turbo. I would probably go with a Garrett GT3076r for maximum performance and durability. From what I've read you should be able to bolt one on without too much trouble, since it has the same t3 flange. Has ceramic bal bearings and is capable of making up to 525hp at the crank. So making 250-300hp should be easy.

The holset hx35 is from 5.9 Cummins turbo diesel's from 1998 and up. They are 56mm inlet. So yeah that's definitely bigger than factory.