• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experience with Guangzhou Fire Turbocharger EB32G?

Lengrep

A few years ago, I bought a Chinese "copy" of our turbocharger...it wasn't very expensive...thought it would be a good backup if I was desperate...which I am...

200 miles into a turbocharger rebuilt by Carl Nelson's guy in Texas, I appear to have blown an oil seal climbing a long steep grade at full throttle.  Crap.

I'm going to remove the turbocharger and ship it to the fellow who did the overhaul for Carl, including manufacture of new castings.  Meanwhile, I was thinking of bolting the "Fire Turbo" in place of the KKK while I'm trying to sort things out.

Does anyone have experience with these units? It there any potential for harm to my numbers matching motor?  It isn't a modern turbo adapted to our motors, but a copy of the original design...but how well executed is a mystery to me.  The manufacturer represents itself as exclusively a turbocharger manufacturer.  But who knows...

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Edited by Lengrep
additional information

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

I also contacted Guangzhou Fire Turbo but didn't buy because they seem so vague about the EB32G... I couldn't even get a picture that was confirmed to be the item they sell. 

Could you share pics of the turbo you got? Is it dimensionally correct? Still twin-scroll? Does the 'elbow adapter' fit on the intake? Do the oil feed & drain banjos fit? I guess in terms of A/R, turbine/impeller design etc, the only way to really know how it performs is to try it!

I don't think there is harm in trying it, worst case it leaks oil or runs out of balance and commits suicide, but damage to your engine is unlikely. Since the injection system dynamically reacts to boost, the fueling will adapt even if the turbo has different spool characteristics.  Maybe it will provide more boost and you'll need to adjust the blowoff valve...but that's not such a bad problem to have.

• Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Here are some photos of the unit.  Marc Norris is going to remove my failed KKK for re-overhaul, and install the Fire Turbo unit.  We should know soon if it's any good!

Greg

IMG_3704.jpeg

IMG_3695.jpeg

IMG_3697.jpeg

IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3701.jpeg

IMG_3702.jpeg

IMG_3703.jpeg

• Like 1

Any details on how to acquire one of these?  At this point, the turbo itself is the biggest obstacle in my efforts so if I could use one of these even as a stop gap for the time being, it would take lots of pressure off.  

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

Suggest use WeChat to contact them via the number below:

Guangzhou Fire Turbocharger Co.,Ltd.

Phone: +86 139 2244 7158

E-mail:admin@fire-turbo.com

Address: No.72,Hongjing Street ,Lejia Road ,Baiyun District,Guangzhou City,Guangdong Province,China

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

13 minutes ago, wkohler said:

Gammet.  By Funeywell.

Thanks.  I guess I’ll send a request for pricing.  

I know...

Stand by for a report on how it fits and performs.  Looks okay, but who knows what materials and quality control they used.  Very small company and factory per the write up.  Of course, materials technology and QA wasn't very well developed in the 1970's, either...

Ignore the photo on the website.  The data tag is for an actual KKK turbocharger.  Mine has a Fire Turbo label with the EB32G model designation and a serial number.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:51 AM, Lengrep said:

Ignore the photo on the website.  The data tag is for an actual KKK turbocharger.  Mine has a Fire Turbo label with the EB32G model designation and a serial number.

I assumed that was a file photo and I think when this previously came up in my investigation I was thinking vaporware due to that but nice to know it’s real and from you photos looks pretty nice.  I certainly look forward to your report.

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

48 minutes ago, Yale said:

Looks like you need to buy 10. I would buy one if folks are going to go in on these. 

If mine proves to be reliable, we can put together a group buy. 

Greg

The verdict is in. Just spoke with Marc Norris. The Fire Turbo is definitely not a reverse engineered copy. It does not even have the right construction to be a bolt on replacement.  

Time to move on... ?