8 minutes ago, jireland2002 said:

Yes probably repairable.  But if you bought it relatively recently we replace it.

It's about a year and a half old.  I think the warranty has expired.  I looked on the webpage and they are out of stock right now.  Any idea when they might be available?

9 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

Should be by a welding exhaust guy. Just for my info, any idea why it cracked. Any contact with body or extreme track stuff or anything. Looking to get this plus full exhaust so wondering!

No track or anything extreme, just some sporty drives on windy roads.  When the new muffler was installed the section from the resonator to the muffler was clanking on the subframe a bit so I took it back and they re-set the hangers on the exhaust.  My first indication was the change in sound, which happened at the end of last week.

If you have it repair welded, go to a welding shop that are stainless steel experienced and purge stainless with inert back gas.  A std muffler shop is not that sophisticated in welding to to a proper stainless weld.

Question: is there a support at the trans rear?  At around 2800 rpm the engine resonance shakes the exhaust pretty good and in time the welds in the exhaust header will fatigue crack.

If the crack is a thermal stress crack, then a repair weld will be a better bet than a new header because the header stresses are already relieved (the crack).

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, jimk said:

If you have it repair welded, go to a welding shop that are stainless steel experienced and purge stainless with inert back gas.  A std muffler shop is not that sophisticated in welding to to a proper stainless weld.

Question: is there a support at the trans rear?  At around 2800 rpm the engine resonance shakes the exhaust pretty good and in time the welds in the exhaust header will fatigue crack.

If the crack is a thermal stress crack, then a repair weld will be a better bet than a new header because the header stresses are already relieved (the crack).

Thanks for the input. I will check.  There is no support bracket, just the hangar off the frame that uses the bungee holder.  I've seen some photos of cars with a support.  I'm going to look into this.

12 hours ago, Carlos_M said:

My first indication was the change in sound, which happened at the end of last week.

check to be sure your transmission exhaust hanger is holding the exhaust, also I added a hanger off the differential and that really helped stabilize the whole system 

Alpina Dif  (7).JPG

• Like 1

The mount at the transmission is intended to take some of the rotational force off of the downpipes-

this kind of cracking seems to happen when you run without it.

Or when the welds in your exhaust system aren't all that great.

t

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, TobyB said:

The mount at the transmission is intended to take some of the rotational force off of the downpipes-

this kind of cracking seems to happen when you run without it.

Or when the welds in your exhaust system aren't all that great.

t

Thanks Toby - I'll make sure they look at that tomorrow when they attempt the repair.