Anyone here expert on S2000 conversion?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cold F20c sound   IMG_3872.MOV IMG_3890.MOV

Whipped up a set of motor mounts for another persons project, transmission mount later this week  

I gave up on the mounts I ordered, I don't want drama so I did it myself with help from people in the 02 community, helping out another F20c swap by shipping him a set of mounts next week, here's me :

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Tommy said:

Well, not an expert but got one installed in my racecar. Why don't you just post your question here?

Hard to select one out of a million. Do you have or know of a blog on the subject? Start with engine mounting issues, any necessary tunnel, transmission and drive line  mods, induction issues..linkage.. special parts availability or diy fabrication.....etc 

Trying to get a feel whether it is worth the effort

Edited by Mike A

Random thoughts:

I sent F20 swap fabrication photos to Igor several years ago that helped serve as a reference in the building of his first F20 swap (the matt-red 2002).  With all due respect to the F20, you really really need to wind it out to feel the difference.  A hotrod M10 will give an F20 a run for its money from stoplight to stoplight.  The center of gravity sits higher and the trans-tunnel does need to be raised a couple of inches to accommodate the higher transmission.  It requires more fabrication than an M20 swap.  It's no longer BMW powered.

The first two were done by now-closed Groma Race Fab., a third was built on a similar timeline up in the northwest.  

The swap obviously has a bunch of positives, but it seems you are trying to get a straight list of the minuses as well.

Will's

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/119503-honda-f20-powered-02/#comments

Igor's

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/129283-catuned-1976-bmw-2002-project-f20c-swap/

Kevin's

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/110268-the-heist/#comments

• Like 2
5 hours ago, irdave said:

Please make the conversation public!  If I ever have to do this again I'm doing an F20c swap...

I don’t know much about a Honda and  That’s one of the questions ... for a street build is the K series motor a better choice?

6 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

It requires more fabrication than an M20 swap.  

I sent F20 swap fabrication photos to Igor several years ago that helped serve as a reference in the building of his first F20 swap (the matt-red 2002).  With all due respect to the F20, you really really need to wind it out to feel the difference.  A hotrod M10 will give an F20 a run for its money from stoplight to stoplight.  The center of gravity sits higher and the trans-tunnel does need to be raised a couple of inches to accommodate the higher transmission.

It has a bunch of positives, but it seems you are trying to get a straight list of the minuses as well.

You got it Ace

28 minutes ago, Mike A said:

I don’t know much about a Honda and  That’s one of the questions ... for a street build is the K series motor a better choice?

Possibly.  But, for me personally, 9k rpm.  Holy crap.  My s54 motors would roll to 8200; I think it would be a little NSFW being able to pull to 9...  Also, I think there is a little issue with connecting a lateral motor in a longitudinal chassis- so adapter plate, which I believe is out there- one of the Miata places I think made a K swap to BMW tranny plate...  I think there's an issue with the starter as well- solvable, but issues, where the F20/22c motors just use the stock 6sp tranny.  I'm sure Andrew knows more about it than I do.

Good questions, Mike. You need to be prepared for some DIY in any case. I don't think I would start any swap if I didn't have a an angle grinder and welder. My installation is very much different than putting F20C in stock -02 body that seems pretty straightforward.

For K-swap you don't get that much information. You need to figure out more yourself but in the end it could be a better choice. F20C is so popular swap into any smaller car, that they are getting scarce and expensive, maybe not yet in US? If K- is chosen I would get the adapter plate for F20C gearbox rather than BMW.

I would relate Honda swaps to s14 but without selling house to fund it. M20 is different nature.

Might I suggest an M10 and a turbo?

I got excited about the FC2x when they were cheap 10 years ago,

but they're starting to get long in the tooth and approaching the 

'fall out of the parts chain' point.

It's a shame the current- ish crop of 4 cylinder BMW engines are so gigantic

when packaged- that would be a more 'fun' way to get real torques and horses.

t

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

Isn't there a reverse rotation problem with a lot of Honda engines?

t

this is what I have read....I may be wrong but the K series and the F series both spin the same direction CCW from looking at back of motor. The B series spun the other direction so, guys that put a K series in an older honda have to figure that out. 

there are a few different trans that ppl are hooking up to the Kseries... the BMW trans is a popular option because it can hold decent power

https://kpower.industries/products/k-series-to-bmw-e36-e46-transmission-adapter-plate-and-flywheel