What is this? Speedo related engine bay part

Gosh it's been so long since I took the engine out... I am slowly getting it together and I am looking at this box.. I believe it has something to do with the speedo. I don't remember unbolting it from anything but it is basically hanging there. It has two holes which seem to line up with holes on the side of the engine bay but it is turned 90 degrees. When I turn it and try to line it up with the holes, it doesn't seem right as the lower cable doesn't clear the frame rail nicely. Doesn't look as though it would hurt to leave it hanging but I would like to know how it is supposed to be mounted.

Thank you in advance

IMG_20201017_153515058[1].jpg

IMG_20201017_191139742[1].jpg

IMG_20201017_191148873[1].jpg

IMG_20201017_191152736[1].jpg

It is an " EGR " counter box, after so many miles, it turns on the EGR lite as a reminder to replace certain components    I would just get rid of it and replace it with a normal one piece speedo cable      You probably don't have any of hose bits left on your car anyways     You can also remove those 2 magnetic valves and plug off the vacuum lines at the manifold/carb      

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stephers said:

It is an " EGR " counter box, after so many miles, it turns on the EGR lite as a reminder to replace certain components    I would just get rid of it and replace it with a normal one piece speedo cable      You probably don't have any of hose bits left on your car anyways     You can also remove those 2 magnetic valves and plug off the vacuum lines at the manifold/carb      

Thanks, Rick

I live in California and I'm gonna try to smog it. otherwise I still want to be able to pass a visual. Do you know how this affects the smog requirements? What are the other bits? It looks to me (novice) that all the parts are there.. which ones are the magnetic valves?  Thank you for the response :)

5 hours ago, MBar said:

I live in California and I'm gonna try to smog it. otherwise I still want to be able to pass a visual. Do you know how this affects the smog requirements? What are the other bits? It looks to me (novice) that all the parts are there.. which ones are the magnetic valves?  Thank you for the response :)

The magnetic valves are the cylinders with conical tops mounted on the firewall. There should be three, one with a black cap, one with a white cap, and one with a red cap. On your left inner fender is a schematic of the emissions controls in the form of an underhood sticker. That should provide a quick idea of the various components. There are some excellent threads on this forum describing the various components and their functions.

I have no idea whether CA’s visual inspection requirement — allowing them to verify that all the original components are present — is sufficiently sophisticated to capture the thermal reactor manifold’s mileage counter. But I kind of doubt it. CA residents, who have been through the emissions testing regime, will have a better picture.

Regards,

Steve

1CA91E25-CC80-4538-8FBE-881A1B3AC88A.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank You Steve... I am lagging so much on getting this puppy out of the garage that I need to keep moving... I think I'm going to just leave it all in for now. I really avoid any car 1976 and later due to the smog issue. Got a super deal on this one so I had to bite but.....sheesh. And whether or not the components work is another story. So, I looked at realoem.com and cannot find the part there. I don't recall pulling it off the engine bay but it has been a while... Is there a bracket that belongs there to fasten it?   :)

On 10/18/2020 at 10:38 AM, MBar said:

Is there a bracket that belongs there to fasten it? 

Those EGR counters are not part of the smog visual inspection for a 1976 in CA.  They will want to see all the components in the diagram below, with exceptions for those with a CA BAR approved Weber Carb set-up.  (Most people don't go through the pain of installing a dashpot on the Weber).  You can safely remove that EGR counter and install a longer speedo cable, (use the one from a Bavaria in case you do the 5 speed later).  If you do remount it, I remember them fitting closer to the trans tunnel, not on the frame rail.

Mark92131

76_2002p.JPG

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

(Most people don't go through the pain of installing a dashpot on the Weber). 

I'm guilty as charged....Didn't need the dashpot on the Weber, but found it reduced the exhaust puff on deceleration. 

CA Smog only conducts a visual (not functional) exam of the EGR system, thermostatic air cleaner, air pump, fuel evaporative controls (vapor tank in trunk and charcoal canister in engine bay) and fuel leaks. All emissions levels (CO2, O2, HC, CO and NOx) are easily achieved by careful timing and tuning. The EGR/Reactor service switch is not needed, however the Seat Belt Warning light must work...go figure???

Weber Linkage.jpg

• Like 1