• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking about doing a K24a2 swap.

MolyZoky

A bunch of people are doing the K24 swap to E30's right now and have been making kits for them to bolt in, and then bolt to i believe the e30 transmission, would this kit work work for a 2002 as well or would modifications need to be made?

i know a bunch of people have done the F20c from the s2000 this is just the next iteration, a hopefully good one of these engines is cheap parts are cheap and the power you can get out of them and reliability stock is apparently A+ like a 700 dollar S14. has any one else done any research in too this, or have resources to look at around the subject?

• Like 1

The engine should physically fit; what will potentially cause problems are things like pan-to-crossmember clearances, exhaust routing, ability to use a mechanical fan etc.

And be advised that an E30 tranny, even those used for the 318i--is physically larger than even a 2002 automatic, so will require surgery to the 2002's sheet metal surrounding the transmission--percussive modifications (hitting it with a big hammer, like you'd do for an E21 5 speed) won't do it.  If the engine's original tranny is physically smaller, it might be easier to have a driveshaft made up to mate tranny to driveshaft...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This would have been my next engine swap instead of my s2000 eng/trans I did. I haven't seen a k24 outside of a car, so I can't comment on size difference, but assuming it is very close to the F20C s2000 specs, it shouldn't be too difficult of a swap. I'm really vibing the stuff people are doing to them even on stock internals!

Things to consider: 

1- Trans tunnel - had to cut the top out of mine to fit the height of the s2000 trans. not a big deal, but will need to get done

2- motor mounts- oil pan clearance, steering clearance, orientation (perfectly upright or tilted like an m10?) 

3- rear end- LSD? 3.73? 4.10? what case? e30? 2002 I dont think will survive

4- k24 to transmission adaptor- i recently checked this past weekend for Sh*ts and giggles and I found one for s2000 trans to k24.... i know Hert from hoonigan did a k24 to a bmw trans (its on youtube). So people are coming up with some fun stuff. 

If you do end up doing it, I will be following extremely closely... and taking notes!

Edited by bianchini
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

fit nicely into X1/9s!

Whoa... the X1/9 is a tiny car!  I bet that screams....

The Jalopnik writers always keep me laughing:

"As for pairing that with the old Fiat–the idea ranks somewhere between the large hadron collider and the Doritos Locos Taco in terms of genius and ingenuity. But absent the scientific backing of the collider or the marketing budget of Taco Bell, Midwest-Bayless instead handed me the keys so I’d have a chance to proselytize the way forward."

Edited by zinz
  • Haha 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

thanks guys 

On 10/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, bianchini said:

- k24 to transmission adaptor- i recently checked this past weekend for Sh*ts and giggles and I found one for s2000 trans to k24.... i know Hert from hoonigan did a k24 to a bmw trans (its on youtube). So people are coming up with some fun stuff. 

yeah this is one of the things that brought the ideas on that and there is a group of guys that specialize in k24 / f20 in to E30s and all the links hurt used to do his swap is on his vid 

On 10/14/2020 at 11:13 AM, Mike Self said:

pan-to-crossmember clearances

the company https://kpower.industries i think is making parts like custom oilpans and but im not that far in too a parts list yet but that swap uses the e30 harness and what not as well so to do the sawp you will need a stand (alone ECU--- have not found) and a i assume a (digital dash board---- not sure what to use yet) 

On 10/14/2020 at 1:23 PM, bianchini said:

3- rear end- LSD? 3.73? 4.10? what case? e30? 2002 I dont think will survive

what should i use what would be an easy swap in that would probably handle power/ is there a rear end that pretty much bolts in too the back and upgrades everything, like breaks and such?

Edited by MolyZoky

If you guys feel like helping put together a parts list and such that you think would be necessary to make this project come together that would be pretty exciting to have an in depth K24a2 swap too 2002 guide.

i think k24s will be the next big hit for a while they have lots of aftermarket support, they are cheap, they make 200 NA stock more with a tune probably, if you turbo them they will make 300 stock reliably and if you build it 500. thats pretty cool coming from an 800 dollar engine and then the zF transmission is pretty cheap as well,

putting it all together is the expensive part but if it i can drive my car across a state without me worrying about finding parts to fix it that would be pretty dope. that said the other bit is swapping the Jdm K24a2 over too the American style so a few things fit like the normal alternator. so there are a few steps to this but i would be very excited to try and go for it at some point. 

Edited by MolyZoky

I too have had this on my mind.  My previous car was a 510 that I swapped a F20C (s2000 motor) into.  So I'm fairly certain I could get it done.  I really dislike the idea of cutting up the trans tunnel.  And would be more keen on finding the smallest trans that would work.  They make a lot of different tranny adaptor plates for the k20/24.  Here is the offering from kmiata: 

From left to right, E30, E36, E46, Miata 6 speed

IMG_6999_large.JPG?v=1492013200

For those that have done a 5 speed swap in the 2002, which area of the transmission is the most troublesome when it comes to fitment?  (aka the part you need to massage with a hammer)?  

• Like 1

It's specifically the slave cylinder that really gets in the way with the 245 swaps, but in general it's both pretty far forward, sorta at the ass end of the bellhousing, and also where the tunnel starts to narrow some up at the very top of the tunnel that are the tricky parts.  I'll try to draw an approximate line on your picture to help a little.  That Miata box actually looks like it might have a chance. . . but not sure about that length:

image.png

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, MolyZoky said:

the company https://kpower.industries i think is making parts like custom oilpans and but im not that far in too a parts list yet but that swap uses the e30 harness and what not as well so to do the sawp you will need a stand (alone ECU--- have not found) and a i assume a (digital dash board---- not sure what to use yet) 

what should i use what would be an easy swap in that would probably handle power/ is there a rear end that pretty much bolts in too the back and upgrades everything, like breaks and such?

Easiest that I know of is going to be a E30 or E28 Medium Case Diff with cover for one of the reinforced rear subframe options. ex: https://2002underground.com/store/p1/New_2002_Rear_Subframe.html

- doesn't AEM have something for the k24 yet? i'd be shocked if they didn't have one. You shouldn't need much to power the engine from the stock 2002 harness. Its like 4 wires for the s2000 swap to get it electrically powered. 

- dash could just be some simple digital gauges from various suppliers, but I haven't dug that deep into the swap yet. I'm most interested in fitment in the bay and transmission. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bianchini said:

- dash could just be some simple digital gauges from various suppliers, but I haven't dug that deep into the swap yet.

Haltech dash connected to a Haltech Elite.  Uses a single data cable on the CAN bus and nothing else.  Customize screens to your liking with alarms and color changes.  I use it as an info screen, mainly screen photo 1 and 2.  The diagnostic screen is preset and not reconfigurable.

20201021_073626.jpg

20201021_073637.jpg

20201021_073656.jpg

20201021_073716.jpg

20201021_073729.jpg

20201021_073740.jpg

20201021_073751.jpg

20201021_073808.jpg

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 4 weeks later...