• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

...and then depression set in, project abandoned

JayMac

Very sorry to hear this!  I was able to find a '02 that doesn't need a bunch of body work, but I know that day will come.  It does need mechanical help, which I'm much more comfortable with.  I just bought a used long block to rebuild, but I'd be interested in hearing about the rebuilt engine if you do intend to part the car out.  

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

I have been to the track 7 times since March. While that may  sound like a lot in "normal" times I get out about 3 times per month.

ditto.  about the same numbers for me.  sucks.

and the 2002 never got to the track at all this year.   just e36 and e30.

Edited by M2M3
  • Like 1

2xM3

54 minutes ago, wheelieking said:

Very sorry to hear this!  I was able to find a '02 that doesn't need a bunch of body work, but I know that day will come.  It does need mechanical help, which I'm much more comfortable with.  I just bought a used long block to rebuild, but I'd be interested in hearing about the rebuilt engine if you do intend to part the car out.  

Might be going down that path. I have had another inquiry on the engine. I think I would hope to find someone that would like a crack at this. I just dont see myself with the focus and it would kill me to pay  someone else to do the work as I have the time and there is no reason not to get at it. The body is actually pretty solid it would seem that every previous owner thought it their obligation to throw a coat of high build and paint on it. So I knew where I was going and that was down to as clean of metal as I could get and fix the rest. I did all the bushing and suspension first and it has been on the left since. 

I think the first step is just to catalog all of the stuff I have. 

Forgot I had 4 doors and 4 front fenders as I was digging through the parts room.  No different than any other hobby I guess. Not an issue of $$ rather just dont see me actually getting done

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

I swear I need to quit my job and just fly around and help you all get your damn projects wrapped up. 

2 weeks, a room with a bed (ideally a shower too), tools, and a positive attitude, and we could finish so many projects.

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

3 minutes ago, danco_ said:

I swear I need to quit my job and just fly around and help you all get your damn projects wrapped up. 

2 weeks, a room with a bed (ideally a shower too), tools, and a positive attitude, and we could finish so many projects.

There is an airfield 5 minutes from my house and a bed with your name on it. Just don't steal my girlfriend ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

7 minutes ago, danco_ said:

This is a brilliant idea!

My job quit me in 2005. I can envision my new calling.

'02 work for a bed, food & hot showers.

Projects worked on while you wait.

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, danco_ said:

Will wrench for burritos? Who knew?!

• Like 2

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

I think it's important to realize that for most of us this is just a hobby.  Don't let the stress of life affect your build, or just as importantly don't let the stress of your build affect your life.  

Ultimately, the calculus of stress vs hobby will change your perspective.  I have a project that has frustratingly dragged on for years because of interference of life., but if it ever became so overwhelming that it threatened life, I'd let it go.

• Like 2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

And sometimes we just end up with too many hobbies and too much crap.  At some point we decide to just get rid of some stuff to not have so much going on, not so many obligations.  I understand, I've been selling all kinds of crap lately and trying to create focus on just a few things that really bring me joy.

Someone will be excited to pick up all your stuff- might even be able to sell it in a lump for a fair price.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

9 hours ago, esty said:

i agree with you...sometimes it gets overwhelming...

9 hours ago, esty said:

could never seem to get the time, energy or motivation to put things back together

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that I have a 90+% finished Fiat Topolino woody wagon that I've put countless hours into but haven't touched for years.  I'm so close to finishing it and am (allegedly) retired, but just haven't had the motivation for that last bit.  But having come so far already, I'm not about to give it up while I'm still physically (if not mentally) able to finish.  And after that, there's the '56 Renault 4CV convertible--even rarer than the woody...I've owned it since 1987 but haven't started working on it yet.  But I will...

mike  

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike make a good point now that probably 1/3 or so of out members are at or near retirement your ability to do all the work on your 02 might leave you at any point so make hay while the sums shining. I was sure suprised when my lower spine basicly gave way over a football weekend watching not playing. Just remember time and tide waits on no one.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I identify with you and your situation. Cars like these are never done. 

My 74 tii project took all the wind out of my sails. It's done, or at least "done enough". Took me a long time and a lot of money. Meanwhile, I have a somewhat desirable 911 in the garage in need of similar commitment of time and money. I'm not gonna do it.

Why? I don't want to dig in that deep again and I don't need another car. Mostly, I don't want to do all that work, so I'm selling it. 

Will I miss it? Doubtful. As I get older I've come to realize that you can only drive one at a time, but you still need to drive them to keep them going. I have enough for me.

Good luck with your sale.

Nick

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

JayMac, 

Dude I completely understand losing motivation an drive on a project. No one can give you the right answer to whatever decision you make here. It is a choice of whether letting it go brings relief from a small black cloud nagging at you to get the job finished or whether it will bring eventual regrets from not completing the project. 

Have my own issues, and you can ignore the next paragraph (unless you like rabbit holes). 

I have trusted my car to others for restoration have had my patience stretched to no end waiting for the highly recommended "restorer" for close to 4 years to get started, then subsequently destroy my 2002 having him sub out to someone that I think was escapee from nurse Ratchet at the State Hospital. Had seats sent out to highly recommended upholsterer only to be sadly disappointed with the results. Tons of other issues, once the car was sorted enough to drive some ass threw a large rock through the back window etc. etc. I think I may have been behind the wheel of the car for a grand total of 1 month over the last seven years. The car is now in excellent hands now, but it is taking a long time to repair some of the restoration damage. And also  my current mech is having a ton of problems installing a highly recommended AC system....

I used to hit this site several times a day, but now some of the passion and drive have left me too. So I can feel your pain. I am hoping that when my car returns to me the excitement will rekindle once I am behind the wheel. 

Hard choices harder answers. Ask yourself why the stall on the 02'? Not wrong or bad if your interests have moved on to other things.  If you find joy in other pursuits, it may be time to move on. Take a deep breath and Imagine yourself without the 02. If you feel  a sense a relief, then you know what to do. If you feel an overwhelming sense of loss, then hold on for awhile and reassess at a later date. 

Cheers to you on whatever you decide.

Vic 

• Like 2

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

On 10/2/2020 at 5:36 AM, JayMac said:

I have decided to abandon my 2002 project. 

Feel like I let you guys gals down

JayMac,

Please tell me what in this world makes you happy?

If it's not your 02 sell it and move on. But if it is your 02 lean on friends who share your passion.

Not everything in life has to make logical sense if it did most people male and female would be single with a golden retriever.

I stopped tracking my rotary 02 after what could have been a high consequence front suspension failure, but not forever.

Doing things well requires discipline and focus. Besides it is cheaper to rent a shifter cart and some track time...

On 10/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Mike Self said:

Before you bail out after all the work you've done so far, take a deep breath and just walk away for a few days, weeks or even months.  It won't hurt the car (unless it's sitting outside with all the glass out and paint sanded off) and you can let the feeling of being overwhelmed by the seeming immensity of the task subside.  

Or...like the guy who was asked, "How to you eat an elephant?" and answered "one bite at a time."  do a small task that you can finish in an hour or two, and then walk away 'till you feel like doing something else.  You're not on an external timetable or deadline--it's internal with you.  From long experience I'd suggest get it running and driveable first, and enjoy the car.  Then start working on the cosmetics.

We fellow 02ers are not gonna think less of you if you don't finish the project in a few weeks or months.  Heck, I was welding, grinding and primering my '69 for almost six years before I was ready to have it painted.  My wife not only refused to ride in it, but was threatening to get me a vanity plate that read "RDNKBMW" (from Jeff Foxworthy's "you may be a redneck if the predominant color on your car is primer")--I had six different shades of primer in addition to chalky Nevada paint.  But it was still driveable, just ugly.  I did finally finish it--and it turned out nice enough to have spent a year in the CCA Foundation museum.  

So don't give up yet...take a breather and see how you feel in a few weeks/months...

Plenty of FAQers are pulling for you to resurrect yet another needy 2002...

mike

Thanks Mike for you thoughtful reply.

i agree with every word