• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

...and then depression set in, project abandoned

JayMac

I have decided to abandon my 2002 project. Sadly based on the frequency of my posts one might have gathered that. I will be trying to get organised and start posting what I have to sell and get that on the classified section. Big items I have are doors one new , floor pans new, freshly epoxied gas tank, seals, m10 with zero miles and the break in oil, front fenders, epoxied hood and deck...lot of new seals and other stuff including the interior in tan. Plus the shell that is mostly down to bare metal.

Feel like I let you guys gals down as your cars are awesome but I m  much better taker aparter than I"m a putter back to together.

Prior to me getting this stuff up if you have any needs or questions you can call me directly or text. 757-784-7474

Sorry!

Jay

Slowly building a $20,000 $4000 car

If it "ran when parked" you wouldn't have parked it!

Before you bail out after all the work you've done so far, take a deep breath and just walk away for a few days, weeks or even months.  It won't hurt the car (unless it's sitting outside with all the glass out and paint sanded off) and you can let the feeling of being overwhelmed by the seeming immensity of the task subside.  

Or...like the guy who was asked, "How to you eat an elephant?" and answered "one bite at a time."  do a small task that you can finish in an hour or two, and then walk away 'till you feel like doing something else.  You're not on an external timetable or deadline--it's internal with you.  From long experience I'd suggest get it running and driveable first, and enjoy the car.  Then start working on the cosmetics.

We fellow 02ers are not gonna think less of you if you don't finish the project in a few weeks or months.  Heck, I was welding, grinding and primering my '69 for almost six years before I was ready to have it painted.  My wife not only refused to ride in it, but was threatening to get me a vanity plate that read "RDNKBMW" (from Jeff Foxworthy's "you may be a redneck if the predominant color on your car is primer")--I had six different shades of primer in addition to chalky Nevada paint.  But it was still driveable, just ugly.  I did finally finish it--and it turned out nice enough to have spent a year in the CCA Foundation museum.  

So don't give up yet...take a breather and see how you feel in a few weeks/months...

Plenty of FAQers are pulling for you to resurrect yet another needy 2002...

mike

• Like 7

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As Winston Churchill is often quoted & combining 2 here. "When going through hell, keep going. Never give up, never give up, never give up."

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Guys, I appreciate the support! In fact I expected it as this is the most active and passionate car forum I belong to, but.... I have an e21 that is mint that is just sitting and my real love is tracking so this car is just never going to get finished by me. I do think that the sell process will be a long one as this car is nothing special and I knew that going in...and you are right about being a bit overwhelmed as I m looking at two rooms filled with parts some of which I can't even remember what they are for, lol. 

I do love this forum!

18 years and counting on my AlpinA Gr. 2 car, still not done....happy to say I am getting closer, but still a ways off.  If you have a place to keep the car and parts and work on it - stay with it.  If other forces are at work - finances, losing space etc., then you should do what you need to do.  Good Luck.

• Like 4

I just reviewed your posts/ saga on your car, I haven't been following.

Your car your choice of course, but you have done so much over the last few years! I am assuming the body still needs structural repairs? That can be daunting.

Taking a break before deciding what you will do is a good idea. If you decide to let it go I hope it can go complete to someone who can carry it forward.

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

35 minutes ago, JayMac said:

looking at two rooms filled with parts some of which I can't even remember what they are for, lol. 

The struggle is real, I'm very organized yet I've bought things 2 & 3 times over I have & forgotten about.   

• Like 2

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

8 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I just reviewed your posts/ saga on your car, I haven't been following.

Your car your choice of course, but you have done so much over the last few years! I am assuming the body still needs structural repairs? That can be daunting.

Taking a break before deciding what you will do is a good idea. If you decide to let it go I hope it can go complete to someone who can carry it forward.

Don't let the thread tittle be an indication of my mindset. Movie quote from Bill Murray in Stripes. I have a PHD in taking breaks. I hope someone might want to take on the project too and the goal is not to recoup total costs, far from it. I have 3 other Bimmers that can fill the void. I am ll good here but some of the supportive reply's have made me laugh out load. Always good to find out you're not alone!

It is of course your decision but weigh into it we're all tired of this corona shit and by this point it is effecting most of our thinking in a negative way, never make a major decision when your depressed even a little.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, adawil2002 said:

As Winston Churchill is often quoted & combining 2 here. "When going through hell, keep going. Never give up, never give up, never give up."

More Churchill, very applicable to restoring cars....

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

It is of course your decision but weigh into it we're all tired of this corona shit and by this point it is effecting most of our thinking in a negative way, never make a major decision when your depressed even a little.

I have been to the track 7 times since March. While that may  sound like a lot in "normal" times I get out about 3 times per month.

• Like 1

i agree with you...sometimes it gets overwhelming...i have an e30is drop top I've been fretting about for almost 10 years...i'd probably give it away to get it out of my mind...i had to put a trans in it and could never seem to get the time, energy or motivation to put things back together

sometimes the worry outweighs what might be a good end result