Motorrod

Seat stuffing

4 posts / 189 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

Chipping away at the rust repairs on my '73 2002 and preparing to do some indoor work once the cold weather sets in.  The horse hair in my seats has gone all hard and is disintegrating as I attempt to move it or sit on the seats.  The car has been stored indoors and not even sat in since 87.  I'm hoping (pretty sure) that some members have used foam to replace the horse hair.  I'd be interested in successes and failures with foam selection or viable alternatives.  I'm thinking I can carve the foam to closely match the shape and contours of the horse hair pads and I'd like to avoid puffy looking seats.  Of course, I'd like to have them end up comfortably firm, similar to originals.  Any insights are appreciated including suppliers.  I'm in Canada so local suppliers would be good but I'm not against shipping cross-border to get the right stuff.

Thanks

There was a thread last week on reupholstering seats using a product called curly hair that looked real good when done.

• Like 1

I used some closed cell foam from a local auto upholstery place. It has a hardish side and the foam side. Never messed with the front, but worked well on my rear seat at least. You don't have to use LOTS of foam such that they look like couch cushions. A little trimming goes a long way. Arguably the rear seat is comfier than the front lol! Find your local auto upholstery supplier and talk with them.