PaulTWinterton

Is This Beautiful...or What!

26 posts / 1032 viewsLast Reply

A great example to go by when I re-Celon -ify my car, even if a there is little too much bling for my taste. 

Would have a hard time with the glossy air cleaner, but can live with everything else.... ok, who am I kidding.... would be a dream to have this in the garage!!

Vince

• Haha 1

Stunning example and I'm partial to Ceylon but nothing curls my toenails more than open seams above the headlights, an inexcusable omission. Leads me to wonder what else was ignored.

• Like 1

I saw this car and its restomod twin at the famous Colorado CCA Ofest in the year 2002--the year that 104 '02s showed up and the first 100 received the little white commemorative badge that you occasionally see at '02 events even today.  If you look at the Werkshop plate in the pictures, it's #1--the first car the Werkshop did, IIRC.  It was a $40,000+ restoration back in 2002 (when factory front fenders were $90 and most beltline trim bits were $20-30 each). 

But Steve is correct in that the restoration is to a much higher standard than the factory's production cars--it would be more like what the factory would have prepared to put on their stand at a major auto show.  Just too pretty to drive (witness the miles since it was done 18 years ago). 

IMHO an '02 is meant to be driven, not trailered to events--and driven on back roads around curves; that's an '02's beauty.  This one is so nice I'd be afraid to drive it.  Wonder what the asking price is...

mike 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kronos said:

Stunning example and I'm partial to Ceylon but nothing curls my toenails more than open seams above the headlights, an inexcusable omission. Leads me to wonder what else was ignored.

My 69 has open seams in the front.  I’m ok with that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I saw this car and its restomod twin at the famous Colorado CCA Ofest in the year 2002--the year that 104 '02s showed up and the first 100 received the little white commemorative badge that you occasionally see at '02 events even today.  If you look at the Werkshop plate in the pictures, it's #1--the first car the Werkshop did, IIRC.  It was a $40,000+ restoration back in 2002 (when factory front fenders were $90 and most beltline trim bits were $20-30 each). 

But Steve is correct in that the restoration is to a much higher standard than the factory's production cars--it would be more like what the factory would have prepared to put on their stand at a major auto show.  Just too pretty to drive (witness the miles since it was done 18 years ago). 

IMHO an '02 is meant to be driven, not trailered to events--and driven on back roads around curves; that's an '02's beauty.  This one is so nice I'd be afraid to drive it.  Wonder what the asking price is...

mike 

I used to have the Roundel issue with the twin Ceylon tii”s on the cover.  Ceylon isn’t my favorite BMW color. There are plenty others to choose from.

10 hours ago, Kronos said:

Agree with the curling toenails, takes less than an hour to solder & grind both sides.

Vern, my '73 Tii was/is finished to the level of the Ceylon '73 Tii. The Work Shop did 2 Ceylons for the same owner, the one at the Foundation with mirrors & lights was/is the show car, the other, the for sale/sold Ceynon was the driver.

Leaded Passenger Fender.jpg

Leaded Driver Fender.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5982.jpg

(edited)
On 9/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, Kronos said:

open seams above the headlights

I was wondering when that little detail would surface.  The true purists speak their minds.

I'm in the other camp.  It's not that big of deal to me as it begs the question, "why didn't the factory hide the seams below the grills"?

You could go crazy documenting all the yellow zinc plated fasteners that would originally have been silver plated, black plated or even just painted.  

It's still very pretty.  I would like to see the bottom.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

1 hour ago, BarneyT said:

Love it, my next project is a 72tii Ceylon...starting in November.

Go Barney!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

... It's still very pretty.  I would like to see the bottom.

Paul,

At the Icon exhibit, they had the car raised on a pedestal of sorts, with a light and a mirror underneath, so viewers could gawk at the obscenely-glossy underside. I’m guessing you would have appreciated that! I’ll bet someone here has a photo of the setup and that shiny bottom!

Oh, wait, I did photograph the car! Here are my two photos of the Ceylon VIN 2763852 at the Icon exhibit. 😉 I guess I got a bit distracted by that factory-correct Polaris in the foreground. It’s got filled seams, in all the right spots, if you know what I mean! 😉 Wow, that is one sick ride... 😋🤣

Oh, yeah, the Ceylon was fine, too.

Best regards,

Steve

EBB49A59-1854-4F35-A544-10FC661988DA.jpeg

4F00F809-1B01-4F37-8194-7C8602E18DB4.jpeg

• Haha 2