• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Beautiful...or What!

PaulTWinterton

A great example to go by when I re-Celon -ify my car, even if a there is little too much bling for my taste. 

Would have a hard time with the glossy air cleaner, but can live with everything else.... ok, who am I kidding.... would be a dream to have this in the garage!!

Vince

• Haha 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

Stunning example and I'm partial to Ceylon but nothing curls my toenails more than open seams above the headlights, an inexcusable omission. Leads me to wonder what else was ignored.

• Like 1

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

I saw this car and its restomod twin at the famous Colorado CCA Ofest in the year 2002--the year that 104 '02s showed up and the first 100 received the little white commemorative badge that you occasionally see at '02 events even today.  If you look at the Werkshop plate in the pictures, it's #1--the first car the Werkshop did, IIRC.  It was a $40,000+ restoration back in 2002 (when factory front fenders were $90 and most beltline trim bits were $20-30 each). 

But Steve is correct in that the restoration is to a much higher standard than the factory's production cars--it would be more like what the factory would have prepared to put on their stand at a major auto show.  Just too pretty to drive (witness the miles since it was done 18 years ago). 

IMHO an '02 is meant to be driven, not trailered to events--and driven on back roads around curves; that's an '02's beauty.  This one is so nice I'd be afraid to drive it.  Wonder what the asking price is...

mike 

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Kronos said:

Stunning example and I'm partial to Ceylon but nothing curls my toenails more than open seams above the headlights, an inexcusable omission. Leads me to wonder what else was ignored.

My 69 has open seams in the front.  I’m ok with that.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I saw this car and its restomod twin at the famous Colorado CCA Ofest in the year 2002--the year that 104 '02s showed up and the first 100 received the little white commemorative badge that you occasionally see at '02 events even today.  If you look at the Werkshop plate in the pictures, it's #1--the first car the Werkshop did, IIRC.  It was a $40,000+ restoration back in 2002 (when factory front fenders were $90 and most beltline trim bits were $20-30 each). 

But Steve is correct in that the restoration is to a much higher standard than the factory's production cars--it would be more like what the factory would have prepared to put on their stand at a major auto show.  Just too pretty to drive (witness the miles since it was done 18 years ago). 

IMHO an '02 is meant to be driven, not trailered to events--and driven on back roads around curves; that's an '02's beauty.  This one is so nice I'd be afraid to drive it.  Wonder what the asking price is...

mike 

I used to have the Roundel issue with the twin Ceylon tii”s on the cover.  Ceylon isn’t my favorite BMW color. There are plenty others to choose from.

Jim Gerock

10 hours ago, Kronos said:

Agree with the curling toenails, takes less than an hour to solder & grind both sides.

Vern, my '73 Tii was/is finished to the level of the Ceylon '73 Tii. The Work Shop did 2 Ceylons for the same owner, the one at the Foundation with mirrors & lights was/is the show car, the other, the for sale/sold Ceynon was the driver.

Leaded Passenger Fender.jpg

Leaded Driver Fender.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5982.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

On 9/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, Kronos said:

open seams above the headlights

I was wondering when that little detail would surface.  The true purists speak their minds.

I'm in the other camp.  It's not that big of deal to me as it begs the question, "why didn't the factory hide the seams below the grills"?

You could go crazy documenting all the yellow zinc plated fasteners that would originally have been silver plated, black plated or even just painted.  

It's still very pretty.  I would like to see the bottom.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On 9/15/2020 at 11:30 AM, PaulTWinterton said:

... It's still very pretty.  I would like to see the bottom.

Paul,

At the Icon exhibit, they had the car raised on a pedestal of sorts, with lights and a mirror underneath, so viewers could gawk at the obscenely-glossy underside. I’m guessing you might have appreciated that! I’ll bet someone here has a photo of the setup and that shiny bottom!

Oh, wait, I did photograph the car! Here are my two photos of the Ceylon VIN 2763852 at the Icon exhibit. ? I guess I got a bit distracted by that factory-correct Polaris in the foreground. It’s got filled seams, in all the right spots, if you know what I mean! ? Wow, that is one sick ride... ??

Oh, yeah, the Ceylon tii wasn’t bad...

Best regards,

Steve

EBB49A59-1854-4F35-A544-10FC661988DA.jpeg

4F00F809-1B01-4F37-8194-7C8602E18DB4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 1:56 PM, Conserv said:

Paul,

At the Icon exhibit, they had the car raised on a pedestal of sorts, with a light and a mirror underneath, so viewers could gawk at the obscenely-glossy underside. I’m guessing you would have appreciated that! I’ll bet someone here has a photo of the setup and that shiny bottom!

The only picture I took of that car.

20180518_115535.jpg

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

Paul,

I don't believe those mileage claims. I don't know the outfit that restored that car, but you got to question anybody that affixes their "badge" to the chassis of a car, especially to a supposedly virgin mileage classic. Are these guys trying to build their own "Brand" like "Alpina" ? Good Luck !

I'm not afflicted with "tii" fever which seems as contagious in the 02 community as the Corona virus is in the US. Nor, am I impressed by the face lifts and second thoughts, often necessitated in response to mandated US safety regulations, characterized by all post 67 US spec cars, but especially 1970s era 2002s which deviate from the original design vision. And, I'm least impressed by what I would characterize as the melon vendors of the bazaar who are looking to make a quick $$$ and drive prices through the roof. “The Werk Shop”, "This Werks", "That Werks", "Eurowerks" ; I characterize it all as "Skunkworks", and I'm not referring to Lockheed and Kelly Johnson.

I've driven my 1600s as basic transportation since 1982, through college and beyond. And, I kept them on the road all these years as my own mechanic or what I would characterize as "Slavwerks" or the “Slav-Werk-Shop”. "Slavwerks" has nearly 40 years experience in building and maintaining real 02s, not "Garage Queens" and keeping them on the road as daily transportation.

I live in Burbank, home of the real Skunkworks, located off San Fernando Blvd. at the Burbank Airport and adjacent to main the wrecking yards, just down the road in the hot, sweltering bowels of the  San Fernando Valley where many of SoCal's classic BMWs met their end during the 80sand 90s. This includes the "tii" cars. Jay Leno set up shop, just across the runway from Skunkworks, and I've run into him on many occasions on San Fernando Blvd., often on my way to and from the wrecking yards. He always gives me a thumbs up as I drive past in one of my 1600s.  Perhaps I should design my own badges and affix them to the chassis with aircraft grade aluminum rivets. I can confidently pronounce that my badges signify a higher degree of “Legitimacy”, like the “Cocarde Tricolre” of the French Revolution; Fraternite ! Egalite ! Liberte ! I'm proud to claim that each one of my cars has clocked over 200,000 miles.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, rockyford77 said:

If that is the case, that should be clearly stated.  It is unlikely that there any 2002’s with that low of mileage, but it is possible. A ‘73 tii with that actual mileage would be very valuable. 

a 2002 with under <2000 original miles in that survivor condition is an easy $500k to 1 million car

probably more

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series