• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear discs: Audi A4 caliper carrier instead of MK2 VW?

skylund

Tried searching. Consensus seems to be that you need VW MK2 rear caliper carriers for the VW rear disc brake conversion detailed in the FAQ, but I believe that only the Golf GTI and Jetta GLI had rear discs in the US, and I'm having a hard time sourcing the caliper carriers used.

However, rear caliper carrier 443615425B is listed on the VW parts site as fitting a MK2 VW GTI, but is also listed on the Audi parts site as fitting a late 90s Audi A4. 

I've never seen an MK2 GTi/GLI in my local junkyard, but there are about 5 late 90s Audi A4s there right now . 

Can anyone confirm that the rear caliper carrier for the Audi A4 does/doesn't fit with an MKIV VW caliper before I go pull these? If not, I'll give it a shot and update. 

Edited by skylund
Clarity/details

'71 inka 'Ingrid'

Maybe you can narrow it down by checking if the brake pads interchange between the 2 cars, if they don't match then your chances of the carriers interchanging go way down, if they do match than it would be worth pulling a set of a Audi.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

You should also be able to use the rear calipers from a MK3 VW... about 20 years ago I had an 88 GTI (MK 2)  and one of the upgrades that people would perform was updating to a MK3 rear caliper, and they were a direct bolt on. I think they were less prone to issues with the automatic adjuster, and IIRC the consensus at the time was to use a 95-99 rear caliper as they were better. 

If you search on Rockauto you can get remanufactured rear calipers w/bracket for a 95' jetta for $49 each without a core....or if you want to stick with the MK2 stuff they are $32each with a $14 core. That is pretty short money for some rebuilt calipers and probably the way I would go before spending money on used calipers. 

Actually if you go with the adapter kit from Classic Daily, they suggest using MK3 calipers.

https://classicdaily.net/product/2002-rear-disc-brake-brackets/

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Squid's 02
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Squid's 02 said:

Hope that helps. 

It does, thank you! I had overlooked that the Classic Daily solution suggests MK3 calipers and carriers. That definitely seems like the simpler route rather than mixing and matching junkyard parts. I already have Jake's brackets. Not sure if that e-brake bracket is specific to the MK3 calipers or just an alternative to the sleeve/stacked washer solution others have gone with. 

Thanks again

'71 inka 'Ingrid'

If you are ordering rebuilt units from a place like RockAuto, just take note that the different brands may or may not come with mounting brackets and the E-Brake cable bracket that you mention. Just confirm the description and pics are what you need. 

Another note with these rear calipers. They have the piston that twists out to adjust as the pads wear so the pads are always close to the rotor giving you a firm pedal. If there is a lot of space between the pads and the rotor the pedal needs to displace more fluid to make contact and it may take a while for them to adjust. With Audi's and VW's that I have had in the past I have turned the piston counter clockwise during install to adjust them if needed (it may not be). Nothing worse than getting the car together, expecting an improvement, and then the pedal goes to the floor during your first drive.  

• Like 1

While you’re hunting for upgrades for your VW rear calipers look at the MK4 calipers. If I recall correctly they’re alloy castings not steel (Lighter), perhaps less prone to seizing, and I believe they will mount up to the earlier carriers. I think the only real difference was the use of a bango connection for the brake line instead of an inverted flare fitting. I could be misremembering all of this, but it might be worth looking at

• Like 1