82BMW633

Wiring Fiasco

39 posts / 1020 viewsLast Reply

55 minutes ago, 82BMW633 said:

I have power at the green wire on the back of the ignition switch but there’s no power to the turn signal stalk.

Are you sure all the GREEN wires are connected only to the ignition switch double terminal #15?

This should give you +12V to the turn signal stalk when the ign. is on.

Ign. Switch.jpg

I have two pair of green wires at the ign switch. A large dia dark green wire along with a small dia dark green wire in one terminal. The there are two bright green wires in one terminal. I have checked for position on the switch and power for the wires. I will check again.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:38 PM, ray_ said:

Post a pic of the cables attached to your power source / battery please.

The engine and transmission are not in the car. We did test for power at the starter wire. 
I was using a 1973+ wiring diagram which showed power from the battery to the low beam relay. This isn’t the case with 1975+. 

F5A3F82F-60FF-4DC7-80D7-C625E5AB1B0D.jpeg

We are stripping the tape off the wires to trace the ones in question. I think that having no low beams, despite power to the relay, is related to no power to the turn signal/low beam/high beam stalk. 

It's still a bit unclear to me, but I think there may be a positive lead that is not connected at/near the battery....

59 minutes ago, ray_ said:

It's still a bit unclear to me, but I think there may be a positive lead that is not connected at/near the battery....

The larger cable going directly to the starter is not attached nor should it be needed at this point. 

9 hours ago, ray_ said:

To reinforce ray's point: there should be more than one red wire attached to battery +

I have power to the relays. I have power to the ignition switch.  I have power to the light switch. There’s power to the input side of the fuse block for everything except for the low and high beam fuses.  It’s a 1975 which does not supply power directly from the battery to the relays. When I jumper the headlight relays I then get power to the fuse block for those circuits. Apparently the high current side of the relay is triggered by the low current side. But this doesn’t appear to be happening. 

I’m going to look at why I’m not getting power to the turn signal stalk. I think that’s the source of the problem.