02Turbo Kugelfischer Pump Lubrication

Hi All,

BMW service bulletin 832 (with thanks to Einspritz) mentions 2 parts of the Injection Pump that must be serviced with oil top-up:

BMW_bulletin_862_clip.png

One is the small Allen-Head screw here (i think😞

Kugel_pump_turbo_small_LI.jpg

The one referred to in Richard Stern's Tech Supplment:

https://www.bmw2002.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bmw-2002-turbo-technical-supplement.pdf

RStern_tech_Supp_Clip.png

Which/where is the other one?

Dave

Edited by dlacey

Isn’t that the turbo pump?   The oil fill hole on the main pump housing is beneath the hex plug on the pump “head”.   Oil will drain thru the pump out the bottom hose and into the engine block.  Unless there is something wrong with the little pressurized oil feed line, you should only have to fill the pump after it has been taken apart.

F9F54B27-F077-4094-BA1E-C7EFEA82D972.jpeg

1CA73BC9-3570-40CE-BC52-1085DA3F3371.jpeg

Hey Jim,

Yes this is the turbo pump and in addition to the normal oil feed shared with tii pumps, theres at least one additional oiling point.

That snpashot at the top of my post is from a turbo service buletin that @Einspritz shared:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=341208

Seems it needs a top-up every 8000miles...

but I am wondering if theres two top-ups as that bulletin list 'control piston' and 'drive mechanism' needing service....or is this second one the 'first install' oiling you mention above?

Dave

7 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Hey Jim,

Yes this is the turbo pump and in addition to the normal oil feed shared with tii pumps, theres at least one additional oiling point.

That snpashot at the top of my post is from a turbo service buletin that @Einspritz shared:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=341208 899.32 kB · 27 downloads

Seems it needs a top-up every 8000miles...

but I am wondering if theres two top-ups as that bulletin list 'control piston' and 'drive mechanism' needing service....or is this second one the 'first install' oiling you mention above?

Dave

Dave- maybe you should change the subject to include “turbo” so that folks can respond accordingly.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:53 AM, dlacey said:

No, just the one.

BUT you should remove the big nut on the back of the barometric cell to see if there is oil in there; there should not. If so, then you have a leak in the rear seal which could eventually impair the movement of the piston and eventually hydro locking its movement. That will prove extremely frustrating in tuning and running well. At least, wipe out the oil. That has happened to me twice over many miles. I suspect its from the high vacuum when coming off full boost so often, like on the track.

Along that line, that piston is Aluminum, riding in the Aluminum housing with high tolerances. When it wears, it can allow air in addition to the little hole in the piston, again changing the amount of enrichment performance.

Let's say you have one that's been sitting for an extended period, is it safe to assume that you need to add oil to it before trying to run the pump as you would if it were a fresh install?  I assume any excess oil would just drain back into the sump, but they seem to be pretty specific with the oil quantities from what I've seen, so how would you know how much was already in there, etc?  Sorry if those questions seem dumb.  

Yes, you just fill it up till it overflows, accounting for bubbles, at least that's what I have done. There may be a "shelf" at the bottom of the threads (like in the steering box), but I can't recall, that you would fill to.

One easy way to do that is to use, say an ice pick, and place the pick in the hole, then dribble oil down the pick and it will follow into the hole.

That and other things I learnt in Chemistry class.