• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E30 325ix Oil Pressure sender

landon

Anyone have experience with these? Is it replaceable with engine in car? I just wrestled with the wire and cannot even get a good angle to get the wire off. Trying to troubleshoot an oil pressure light that will not go off. Just did all the fluids including oil and filter and this happened upon first startup. Oil level is fine. Any other way to confirm pressure?

Thanks for any info.   

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Was it just taking a while because of no oil in the filter?

Does it run out a bypass like the e30m3?  That's the only other one I'm familiar with (from the m10.)  But if it's like the m3, then I'd say yes, I could get it out in the engine bay and get a new one in...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

It took a little longer than usual and never went out so I shut it down. Checked oil level again and did another cold start and it did not go out.  No bypass and the location of sender is typical for other M20 engines but the engine mounting is different for the all wheel drive and is in the way. First step in the Bentley manual was to disconnect the wire and I haven't been able to get that far yet.....

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

You probably already saw this...

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?483532-Is-the-Oil-Pressure-Sending-Unit-particular-only-to-the-e30-ix-model

There is an easy solution. Undo the nut that holds the bracket to the engine mount. Then, using and engine hoise or any other type of chain and pulley - hook it to the front hoist mount and tighted the slack in the chain. You may want to lift the hole engine about 0.5 to 1 inch BUT BE CAREFUL. now undo the four bolts holding the bracket to the block and remove the whole bracket. This should free up enough room to get at the sender.

I have also heard of guys grinding down their 22mm sockets but I think that may be a little over kill when you only have to take out 5 bolts to get at the thing.

I've messed with the motor mounts in my car several times by using a floor jack with a 2x4 under a vertically stiff part of the engine- then completely removed the motor mounts and bracket.  I've also got one of the things from Harbor Freight that spans the engine bay and supports the engine from there...  Both of those sound like they  might work.  And neither is that bad once you get started.

Dave.

Yes, saw that one Dave. Trying to avoid going there.

I did remove the new Mahle oil filter and it was bone dry. Never saw any oil. Replaced it with a new Mahle filter and pressure came up within 5-10 seconds as normal and i confirmed the filter was full of oil at that point. Next start was normal and pressure light is out.

Faulty filter?

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

On 9/7/2020 at 3:02 PM, landon said:

Yes, saw that one Dave. Trying to avoid going there.

I did remove the new Mahle oil filter and it was bone dry. Never saw any oil. Replaced it with a new Mahle filter and pressure came up within 5-10 seconds as normal and i confirmed the filter was full of oil at that point. Next start was normal and pressure light is out.

Faulty filter?

First things first, the light was off before you changed the oil, right?

Dave.

Yes, oil light was off. Normal operation prior to oil change. Engine now starts with brief oil light and then it goes out as normal.

Don't really understand why a filter would prevent oil from getting in. The interior was dry, never saw oil. It only had oil on the gasket and there was a small drip under the gasket when I spun it off.   

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

13 hours ago, landon said:

Yes, oil light was off. Normal operation prior to oil change. Engine now starts with brief oil light and then it goes out as normal.

Don't really understand why a filter would prevent oil from getting in. The interior was dry, never saw oil. It only had oil on the gasket and there was a small drip under the gasket when I spun it off.   

Wait, what?  So you changed the oil filter and now everything is fine?  And when you changed the filter, you found that the issue may have been a bad filter, which, after you ran the motor for a little bit, still had no oil in it?  Which filter was it?

Dave.

14 hours ago, landon said:

When you change the oil filter, you don’t add a little fresh oil to it before spinning it on?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, irdave said:

Wait, what?  So you changed the oil filter and now everything is fine?  And when you changed the filter, you found that the issue may have been a bad filter, which, after you ran the motor for a little bit, still had no oil in it?  Which filter was it?

I used a new Mahle filter when i changed the oil. Low pressure light did not go out. I checked that filter and there was no oil in it. Oil never got to the filter. I replaced that filter with another new Mahle filter. Oil pressure light now goes off and I confirmed that oil is in that filter as normal.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Oil pressure usually builds within 5-10 seconds after filter change. On the first filter it ran 15-20 seconds at idle before I saw the light was not going out. I checked for leaks, etc. then did another cold start. Light still did not go out. That's when I pulled the filter and saw no oil in it.....  

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

9 hours ago, landon said:

Oil pressure usually builds within 5-10 seconds after filter change. On the first filter it ran 15-20 seconds at idle before I saw the light was not going out. I checked for leaks, etc. then did another cold start. Light still did not go out. That's when I pulled the filter and saw no oil in it.....  

That's sketchy AF.  I've been using Mobil 1 filters because of the socket head to get them off- so much easier. 

I suppose some small percentage are bad- and you got a bad one.  Glad it was as easy as a new filter.  Glad you didn't pop your motor because of it.

Dave.