• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 1600 on Bring A Trailer - No Affiliation

Slavs

Slavs, I will only address PA salting its roads mercilessly. Like Steve, I have first hand experience with DOT Salt Trucks. The holy terror was finding myself behind a salt truck with its whirling fan spreading a quarter inch of salt in my lane. I could hear it crunching up into and onto the entire undercarriage. 

PA still has annual mechanical and emissions inspections, but the focus is more on emissions than rust. But they have  effect on classic car owners as we can register our cars as antiques and avoid annual registrations and all inspections. And reap the considerable benefits of classic car insurance rates and high agreed values. 

Steve

Well, I guess I'm living in a bubble with my car and some parts I've accumulated over the years. I'll try my best not to partake in the speculative madness. There are a few people like me in my area who still cling to their old cars while driving them as they have always driven them since they acquired them years ago. If they sold their cars, they probably couldn't afford to buy them back. It's not the case with just cars, but real estate. In the case of the latter the bubble bursts from time to time due to all the corruption, greed and speculation. Classic car values will also take a dive when people start getting more concerned about their ability to meet their basic needs for subsistence.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 3:48 AM, maharaja said:

If I may pass judgement, I would never think of daily driving an outdated, polluting vehicle in  smog ridden LA. Better to walk, ride a bicycle , ride share take public transportation, or if pressed operate an EV.

I must be as outdated as my cars. Or, I'm a cynical skeptic.

I believe in alternative and "green" energy sources as a means by which  to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels which have wreaked havoc on our environment ever since the onset of the Industrial Revolution during the mid-19th century. There is no doubt that we are responsible for the rise in carbon pollutants and steady increase in the average global temperatures; "Global Warming".

But, given all that, there are always the snake oils salesmen, charlatans, opportunists and self-aggrandizing politicians who are ever ready to hijack a populist or noble idea such as   “Green” energy. And, California has no shortage of these quacks and sycophants. They are everywhere, ever ready to take credit and add another catch word or phrase to their resume or record. Here in Los Angeles, which is choked by both, pollution and traffic, they spent millions in widening many of the highways and streets in an effort to mitigate traffic congestion. As much as they tried, they could never catch up, but in some cases they were partially successful. Just as this started to work a new and younger generation of “Green” urban planners assumed power and embarked on undoing everything that was done by their predecessors. They deliberately set about narrowing the roads by creating bike lanes and exacerbating traffic congestion so to force people to think about alternative modes of transportation. Unfortunately, Los Angeles is not Amsterdam. In Los Angeles and vicinity people commute an average of perhaps 50 miles per day to and from work. What are they supposed to do; pedal to work ??

But, this goes well beyond the daily commute to work and back ? Over zealous politicians passed legislation mandating various “Green” measures and programs without really evaluating all the nuts and bolts of such operations. In San Francisco they mandated water saving toilets without taking into consideration the ancient plumbing and sewers below the city. While the new generation of toilets works well with smooth plastic plumbing, that’s not the case with old clay and cast iron pipes and sewers. As a result, liquid manure solidified in the city’s sewers, creating clogs and back-ups. San Francisco’s Yuppies and “Green” activists were coming face to face with their own byproducts. The city was finally forced to pump chemicals into the sewers to dissolve the clogs.

I worked on a program providing free energy efficiency upgrades to low income households. One of the upgrades included solar energy systems. But, solar energy panels can only be mounted on healthy roofs which are in shortage in low income neighborhoods and housing stock. Despite this, the “Yes” men and program administrators were so hell bent on pushing through the programs and satisfying the politicians that they decided to stick the unsuspecting low income residents with these systems, where warranty clauses omitted the costs associated with removing and reinstalling the systems in the eventuality of roof repairs. It was evident to all of us that the roofs were in really bad shape. But, we were instructed by the state’s own administrators and over-paid consultants and "Experts" to skip going over the specifics of the warranty and the condition of the roof when presenting the programs to people. In other words we were instructed in how to sell a "Lemon": It all sounded great since they were getting a solar energy system for “Free”, paid for by the state and federal government, not to mention the taxpayers.  It’s stunts like this which give ammunition to the “Far Right” and those who don’t believe in global warming etc. In the end, I refused to be one of the “Yes” men.

So going back to your comment about driving an old car and contributing to pollution in LA;  That all sounds like a noble idea, but the fact remains that new vehicles are no cleaner than my 1967 1600. New cars are full of plastic and electronics which will keep polluting the environment for thousands of years to come and well after both, my 1600 and I will have turned to dust. The process associated with the manufacture of plastics and electronics, especially batteries in electric vehicles, accounts for  more pollutants than my 1600 will in its lifetime.

So, maybe you should jump on your bicycle and pedal your way to work, 25 miles in one direction, as LA is completely lacking in rail transportation. The public rail transportation here has about 100 years to evolve before catching up. Or go and purchase an over-priced and so called “Green” Prius with its toxic plastic and batteries.

This old school 1600 pilot will not stand for such shortsighted comments. I will drive a 1600 as long as I exist. And, in the end, they will bury me in it. And, I will never install a low flow toilet in my home unless the city and / or state pays for all the costs associated with excavating and installing new plastic sewer pipes ( An estimated cost of $30K).

Edited by Slavs