I filled my cracked dash with a product called "Sugru Moldable Glue".  It comes in different colors.  Obviously I used black.  It was easy to use - I didn't take very much care or time in doing it.  It's been there for about three years.  Available on Amazon and Home Depot and probably more.  I think it cost about ten bucks. 

I've thought that one of the Flex Seal products might be good for this.  This is the "Handyman in a Can" stuff that the pitchman uses to coat the window screen bottom of a rowboat on the TV commercial.  Never used it for anything, but thought it might do the job for the dash cracks. 

IMG_3125.JPG

On 8/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, Jdddrigot said:

I’m working on perfecting my technique. Fill void with hot melt glue and then layer in the PTEX. Remove excess with razor blade and low temperature heat iron. Finally apply shoe polish. Thoughts (please be kind I grew up in Kenosha)?

Is that the PTEX used to make repairs to the bottom of skis and snowboards ? If so, it comes in different colors including black.

3 hours ago, Dick R said:

I filled my cracked dash with a product called "Sugru Moldable Glue".  It comes in different colors.  Obviously I used black.  It was easy to use - I didn't take very much care or time in doing it.  It's been there for about three years.  Available on Amazon and Home Depot and probably more.  I think it cost about ten bucks. 

I've thought that one of the Flex Seal products might be good for this.  This is the "Handyman in a Can" stuff that the pitchman uses to coat the window screen bottom of a rowboat on the TV commercial.  Never used it for anything, but thought it might do the job for the dash cracks.

IMG_3125.JPG

i recently bought 2 packages of Sugru Moldable Glue from Amazon to give it a try...commenting on your repair, would it have been a flat - level repair if you had trimmed off the curled edges of the vinyl

since it's held for 3 years, it's obviouldly flexible enough not to crack again like all the other filler products seem to do...

You're absolutely correct about my quick and dirty repair.  When I did it I already had some of the Sugru on hand and just started applying it without giving it much thought or any preparation.  It turned out better than I had expected and then wished I had done it more carefully with the kind of preparation you suggested. 

esty, if Dick's Sugru is the typical Sugru, it's kinda like a PlayDoh that cures to take a more permanent, yet somewhat flexible shape.  It'll fill the crack, and I'm not surprised it has done a really good job staying put through temperature variations and flexure of the dash.  But, this picture doesn't really communicate well what it looks like in person.  It won't look like a proper repair.  It really just fills the crack and obscures the light, bright color of the foam beneath, making the crack less noticeable. It has a matte surface texture and I don't think you could paint it to look more like the surrounding dash, as Sugru stays a bit flexible when cured.

"Sugru Moldable Glue".

Brilliant!  Someone gave me some of that stuff, and I (until now) didn't have a use for it!

Now, off to do the Saab's dash

(it looks something like the surface of Mars, but chunkier and foamier)

t

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1