• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green OEM Air Cleaner?

Dug Nichols

Has anyone ever seen an original equipment air cleaner in Green? Here's mine -- stock '73 car that I bought from original owner. He'd put a weber on it with the small Redline box filter and had kept the air cleaner, snorkel, etc parts along with the solex in a box. Given the condition it makes me think it's the original, and hasn't been re-painted (no signs of other colors underneath / repaint happening at any time).

My understanding is the air cleaners came in Grey and Black. But I've never seen one Green. 

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Never seen green color air cleaner housing. It looks grey to me looking at your picture. For 73 it should be grey.

BTW, what is hose laying on top of alternator? Thinking is fuel return line. If so need to re-routed to left and clear alternator.

air cleaner.jpg

• Like 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

I'm not sure I would call that green but it is the original color.  Polish up a spot and take it to a paint store and they can scan it and mix up the correct color for you.

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

27 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

Never seen green color air cleaner housing. It looks grey to me looking at your picture. For 73 it should be grey.

BTW, what is hose laying on top of alternator? Thinking is fuel return line. If so need to re-routed to left and clear alternator.

air cleaner.jpg

@Buckeye good eye! This car came with the fuel return valve in the box along with the solex & air cleaner, having been bypassed at some point (my guess is when the weber was put on). This was my initial hookup I did last night to see if it worked still -- it doesn't. I do find that when the car's warm it hesitates to start a little bit, but not to a point where I'm motivated enough to spend $100 on a replacement. I'll be cleaning up the hoses. 

@Stevenc22 the green hue is admittedly not coming through very well in these photos. It's definitely a very different color than the grey ones I've seen (this is my 5th '02) and it's not faded black.

I'm hesitant to match the color, b/c it's so odd. And tempted to paint it grey to match most '73 cars' air cleaners..  

(cc @John_in_VA and @BarneyT who's previously asked to see some pics)

--

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

One person's green is another's grey.  Germans had some very pretty grey-green military colors.

The inside of the bottom of mine still has original paint.  It came with a crack that's slowly been getting longer.

IMG_4749.JPG

It's about time to get out the welder.

Does the green show up better on the inside of your air cleaner, where it isn't so weathered?

Would you mind sharing how you went about mounting it on the Weber?

Tom

Good call on the interior of the can. Still way more green than grey to my eye, but agreed on the grey-green and different perceptions.

There’s an adapter available and widely used, $40 on Ireland Engineering, search “Stock air cleaner adapter for Weber carbs”. Then use a Dremel and cutting wheel and cut the protruding down part of the air cleaner flush / close to flush. See my closeup pic

56319440-EFCB-4B80-B723-0EA35DCB36F5.jpeg

A8243BB9-97ED-4876-9527-08ED63EF8BE2.jpeg

--

They are indeed grey with a green tint to it and hard to match.  RAL 7043 grey is a fairly close match but not perfect, it needs a touch of green,

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

3 hours ago, otto said:

@Buckeye good eye! This car came with the fuel return valve in the box along with the solex & air cleaner, having been bypassed at some point (my guess is when the weber was put on). This was my initial hookup I did last night to see if it worked still -- it doesn't. I do find that when the car's warm it hesitates to start a little bit, but not to a point where I'm motivated enough to spend $100 on a replacement. I'll be cleaning up the hoses. 

You need to have a adapter between air cleaner and the carb. Here is my write up on it, but @'76mintgrün'02 could give you some options if air cleaner has not been modified yet.

Fuel Return Valve is a good device to put it back on. Works with Weber carb. 

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

1 hour ago, otto said:

There’s an adapter available and widely used, $40 on Ireland Engineering, search “Stock air cleaner adapter for Weber carbs”. Then use a Dremel and cutting wheel and cut the protruding down part of the air cleaner flush

Nice that you kept the domed base intact.  I made some oval shaped parts that slip over the flange that you cut, to mimic the original, so you can use a stock rubber seal (once you shorten it).  

Here's a link to the parts I made.  

Tom

• Like 1

That looks/sounds like it's probably very similar to the greenish-gray color of mine (early '71, the smaller housing for the single-barrel Solex). It's close to the color of my subframes, but not quite as green. Different suppliers, different drums of leftover Panzer paint... 

-Dave

20200821_185832~01.jpg

20200821_185749~01.jpg

• Like 3

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

19 hours ago, dlhoovler said:

... Different suppliers, different drums of leftover Panzer paint... 

+1

Dave’s nailed it!

The correct color on parts such as air filter housings and subframes, from a ca. 1970 BMW perspective, was... “whatever comes out of that drum”... ??

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I wuz gunna say, 'yeah, allowing for colors, cameras, etc, that looks pretty normal to me'

but Panzer Paint made me snort.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL