• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking Lift / Autostacker

fastricky

I also looked at this one which takes more floor space.

On both the PL 6000 I owned and this 7000 the center section of sheet metal on the lift platform was removable for car service. The scissor lift you posted looks nice and solid but you would get have to back the lower car up far enough to get your door open and clear the scissor.

https://youtu.be/NNUvzGz_8i0

Edited by gary32

Might be cheaper to get a new garage door opener and a 4 post. My opener eliminates any overhead obstruction since it operates from the side, and a 4 post installed is less than 3k. I also feel storing a car is safest when it is sitting on it's wheels.

IMG_20190205_132147.jpg

1974 Turkis -rusty

1974 Fjord -basket case

1954 GMC 100

2002 325it 5 speed sport wagon

This is how the opener is installed. A 4 post also doesn't need to be anchored down, so it can be moved pretty easily, even comes with rollers. 

20170114_102510.jpg

1974 Turkis -rusty

1974 Fjord -basket case

1954 GMC 100

2002 325it 5 speed sport wagon

Hi,

Definitely re-do the overhead doors, there are a lot of videos on YouTube. 4 post is the way to go for storage, the better ones have a jacking option to lift the car if needed. I like the safety and portability. 

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

Side opener might have a limitation in terms of lifting the car off its wheels. On the four posts you can get a "tray jack" that mounts in the tracks and lifts the car off the upper platform. Don't know if the same is available for the side opener, though I would think it should be possible.

A.

Edited by Oldtimerfahrer
missed an idea

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

If you have room, consider turning a 4 post lift sideways and having some new ramps fabricated.  I had mine made out of aluminum.  It does reduce how much work you can do from below but let's you fit more cars! (That's another 73tii up top under the cover)

20190827_131842.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Side opener might have a limitation in terms of lifting the car off its wheels. On the four posts you can get a "tray jack" that mounts in the tracks and lifts the car off the upper platform. Don't know if the same is available for the side opener, though I would think it should be possible.

A.

side opener is the garage door lift, not the car lift......?

LIFTMASTER  side loader garage door openers are the way to go.  I have two in my shop.  gets the garage door motor and lift track off the ceiling.  gives you more than a foot more overhead space for lifting cars. 

and they allow you to rehang the garage doors so they closely follow the ceiling....more space...

note the two openers between the doors and how the doors follow the wall and ceiling in pic.

20160929_185715.jpg

Edited by M2M3

2xM3

5 hours ago, M2M3 said:

side opener is the garage door lift, not the car lift......?

LIFTMASTER  side loader garage door openers are the way to go.  I have two in my shop.  gets the garage door motor and lift track off the ceiling.  gives you more than a foot more overhead space for lifting cars. 

and they allow you to rehang the garage doors so they closely follow the ceiling....more space...

note the two openers between the doors and how the doors follow the wall and ceiling in pic.

Exactly that's what I was referring to by "side opener"... more great info I hadn't considered thank you!

8 hours ago, Djthom said:

If you have room, consider turning a 4 post lift sideways and having some new ramps fabricated.  I had mine made out of aluminum.  It does reduce how much work you can do from below but let's you fit more cars! (That's another 73tii up top under the cover)

This interests me greatly! I have a tight garage and that might be a great solution, can you offer some more detailed pics of how you made this work?

Quarter inch aluminum with compound bends for strength.   Grade 8 carriage bolts right through the original tracks to hold it on.  Small wood wedge at the front as a guide to not roll off the end. No issues for tii or MG but the 911 clearance required a platform runners between the ramps and the tracks.  I made those by gluing up some Dow insulation boards that are light weight and easy to store 

IMG_20200806_1638565.jpg

IMG_20200806_1637192.jpg

IMG_20200806_1637059.jpg