cdn97986

1973 BMW 2002 tii

4 posts / 309 viewsLast Reply

VIN 2763472 should be a U.S. 1973 model tii manufactured February 1973.

This has potential. It currently has a square taillight nosepiece, but that can be fixed. Given the nosepiece, salvage title, replacement engine, non-original seats, it is unlikely this example will ever be a record-setting specimen of a stock tii, but it has plenty of potential to be a good-looking, comfortable, fun driver.

Regards,

Steve

11 hours ago, Conserv said:

VIN 2763472 should be a U.S. 1973 model tii manufactured February 1973.

This has potential. It currently has a square taillight nosepiece, but that can be fixed. Given the nosepiece, salvage title, replacement engine, non-original seats, it is unlikely this example will ever be a record-setting specimen of a stock tii, but it has plenty of potential to be a good-looking, comfortable, fun driver.

Regards,

Steve

I'm interested in this car but the nosepiece bugs me, how can this be fixed?  

On 8/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, Kronos said:

I'm interested in this car but the nosepiece bugs me, how can this be fixed?  

You can either (a.) change the complete nosepiece, or... (b.) @estyreports that you can cut out the center of the square taillight front panel (an area encompassing both the center grill and the inner ends of the side grills) and replace it with an equivalent piece from a round taillight front panel. Caveats: First, there is not a nice, tidy brand-spanking-new repair panel available from an '02 specialty shop. You need to get someone to cut out a piece of an old nosepiece. Fortunately, the upper nose is not an area that is commonly consumed by rust. But it is an area that has historically been exposed to, especially, parking mishaps. Second, I have never done this. Esty is an experienced and reliable source for this advice. I don't know, however, if, after you've done this, the correct aluminum grilles are a perfect fit, or if there is additional massaging needed. Stated differently, I don't know if the shortcut requires fussin' to make it work well.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2