• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable Lower Control Arms

mttpekin

Matt,

These are really taking shape in a really positive direction. The guys "steering" (lol pun) the topic, have very solid knowledge and are really leading you in a great direction. Props to the veterans on this forum.

I hope these come to fruition since I have aways wondered why we don't have something like this for 02's and it seems like every other cult like car does. We can get fancy rear setups for adjusting but nothing for the front. Maybe some things are better left alone but this looks down right appropriate.

My question is about the E30 ball joint, I think uai pointed out and I didn't see an answer. What rims will this work with? What if individuals are using bumpsteer spacers on the strut. I know using a std 02 arm with 32mm spacers will need some grinding on an arm to clear 15 rims w/25mm offset. Also what about diameter of the ball joint with BBKs?

Not that you need any more design challenges?

Thanks

Moe

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

On 8/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, MOESPEED2002 said:

My question is about the E30 ball joint, I think uai pointed out and I didn't see an answer. What rims will this work with? What if individuals are using bumpsteer spacers on the strut. I know using a std 02 arm with 32mm spacers will need some grinding on an arm to clear 15 rims w/25mm offset. Also what about diameter of the ball joint with BBKs?

Moe & UAI,

I'll bolt on the pitman/lbj tomorrow and test fitment w/ 13" mahle. That'll be tomorrow evening likely. 

On 8/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, MOESPEED2002 said:

Not that you need any more design challenges

haha! When there are no more design challenges I'll quit this hobby. I think pretty much everyone on this site is a lover of tinkering.. myself included.

I hope to have a fair amount of time to spend on this this week. 

- MP

1972 02

www.peeks.ltd

^^parts I make for 02^^

@MOESPEED2002 @uai

This is the e30 ball joint w/ 13" Mahle. I banged it into the steering arm. There's no nut torquing it but that'd probably get you a thou.. The bolts holding the steering arm to the strut aren't tight either. 

From the side view pic 1, there's about 1/2" clearance from the barrel if it projected out further towards the cars center line. 

Pics 2 & 3 are looking from the front. The balljoint is comfortably distanced from the barrel. 

Goal is to have the pretty much final design done by Friday. Front spherical brg will add a significant bit of cost. Low tolerance, 4 pieces, and many features.

I think the best will be poly up front on the braking rod and heim on the LCA

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

Edited by mttpekin

1972 02

www.peeks.ltd

^^parts I make for 02^^

Top is utilizing heim on the LCA. 

Bottom is for a bushing on the LCA (oem or poly)

Both are using bushings (oem or poly) on the tension rod. 

Turnbuckle adjustment on the LCA for camber has been added.

I want to build these now. So if there's any feedback or questions, please let me know.  

Matt

v3.002.JPG

v4.001.JPG

1972 02

www.peeks.ltd

^^parts I make for 02^^

Matt,

The picture provided for the LCA w/ bushings looks like a good candidate for individuals wanting to use OEM/poly attachments.

The picture provided for the LCA w/Heim joint seams redundant designing an arm with adjustment and a heim with adjustment sharing the same plane. I think you could get the same operation with just an adjustable heim and do away with the adjustment on the arm. 

Am I missing something in the geometry?

Moe

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

44 minutes ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

The picture provided for the LCA w/Heim joint seams redundant designing an arm with adjustment and a heim with adjustment sharing the same plane. I think you could get the same operation with just an adjustable heim and do away with the adjustment on the arm. 

Moe,

The turnbuckle is there because the thread length on the heim is not very long. It'd give about 1/2" of adjustment before I'd start to worry about the amount of thread in the bung. 1/2" pretty much correlates to 1deg camber on a 26" strut. This config allows quite a bit more adjustment range, close to 5deg, which I think is probably more appropriate. 

If people needed the heim w/o turnbuckle, it would require one email to the tube laser bender guy. Very doable. 

Best

v3.003.JPG

1972 02

www.peeks.ltd

^^parts I make for 02^^

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am currently gearing up to build 4x pairs of these for interested parties. 2x will be poly bushed, 2x heim at this time. The final version is four posts above. 

One of the pairs it's been requested to not have the turnbuckle on LCA. He's using camber plates and doesn't need 8deg of adjustability.. If you want stock dimensions or no turnbuckle that's all possible. 

Are there any others that'd like to be in on this? Please shoot me a PM if so. 

I haven't built these yet but believe the pricing will work out to right around 1k for a set. 

If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Matt 

1972 02

www.peeks.ltd

^^parts I make for 02^^

• 1 year later...