A/C firewall fittings

Hello all,

I just finished patching up the firewall in my 72' tii, and I have a question before I re-drill holes for the AC lines. The Behr installation manual has a guide that shows where to drill the two 1 3/8" holes in the firewall. I had to do a patch because of rust that formed under the ac lines and ate away a bit metal. Per Rob's book he mentions using fittings to pass the ac lines rather than just the hoses with rubber grommets. Does anyone have a recommendation or personal experience with which fitting to use? I want to make sure the right holes are drilled prior to sending it out for paint.

39 minutes ago, Nola02 said:

Hello all,

I just finished patching up the firewall in my 72' tii, and I have a question before I re-drill holes for the AC lines. The Behr installation manual has a guide that shows where to drill the two 1 3/8" holes in the firewall. I had to do a patch because of rust that formed under the ac lines and ate away a bit metal. Per Rob's book he mentions using fittings to pass the ac lines rather than just the hoses with rubber grommets. Does anyone have a recommendation or personal experience with which fitting to use? I want to make sure the right holes are drilled prior to sending it out for paint.

I'd ask Rob!

@thehackmechanic

Regards,

Steve

Two things to consider--remember that an '02 engine moves quite a bit on its mounts, side to side and fore & aft, so leave some slack in the lines, especially when they jump from the inner fender well to the compressor. 

A second reason for leaving some slack is so that you can move the evaporator unit into the driver's footwell far enough to extract the heater (and you will have to do that someday) without having to evacuate the A/C system and disconnect the refrigerant hoses.  That alone would predicate against having through-the-firewall fittings vs a single hose run:  you won't have any slack.  

mike

Heres my latest bad idea.

Im thinking of using these 90 degree firewall fittings on the inside of the car.

https://nostalgicac.com/fittings-hose-kits/ac-bulkhead-fittings/10-single-90-degree-a-c-bulkhead-fitting.html

Then in the engine bay using either these 45 degree fittings to turn the lines toward the right fender well or perhaps just straight fittings.

https://nostalgicac.com/fittings-hose-kits/ac-bulkhead-fittings/10-single-90-degree-a-c-bulkhead-fitting.html

I figure the 90 degree fittings will give me enough flexibility with some short hoses to mate up to the flare fittings on the behr evap.

Let me know if Im terribly mistaken, or if this might work.

Personally, I would say if you're going to do it, get a real bulkhead fitting that you attach to on either side. The style fitting you show I am not a huge fan of as they are easier to work loose and harder to tighten securely to the firewall. They will also not distribute the clamping force over a large area which could cause chafing. 

I like what Marty brought up about the metal being another spot for moisture to hang out due to the nature of refrigeration. A properly gasketed bulkhead fitting might not be a problem on this.