• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whistling antenna

Tlambert

What brand is it? Where is it attached? Is it firmly attached? Does it make a difference if the antenna is retracted or extended? Antennas were almost always installed by BMW dealers. Thus, brands, models, placement, and quality of installation was all over the board.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Tlambert said:

It’s definitely the antenna, when I put my hand over the top mount it stops!

So you fixed it. Just wear gloves in the winter! 

?

Seriously, since you've isolated the source, I'd suggest looking for other antenna mounts that could be swapped out for yours. What's the style of it? 

-Dave 

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

I'm old enough to remember when they sold antenna lube, sort of a very thick Vaseline, it not only lubed the antenna but also sealed the joints between the sections to reduce whistling and act as a conductor for the antenna ground plain.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, Lorin said:

Are you sure its the antenna?

The front hood trim Loves to sing.

Not to mention the rain gutter trim...even the beltline molding on both the sides and the hood & trunk, if the end is loose...

Now don't laugh, but I did a column on tracking down wind whistles...PM me if you'd like a copy...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm with Mike track down the noise as there are many places on the left side it could be, my best freind in tracking down wind noise is blue painters tape, start by covering everything that could make noise, then find a place you can drive at the speed that the noise is loudest and start making runs removing a piece of tape at a time until you find the noise.

PS wind noise is a bitch, but you can beat it, keeping in mind this is a car built in the 60-70s it's not a 2020 Mercedes.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

To make sure it's the antenna try a small piece of tape from the window gasket to the antenna.  Sliding a piece of clear tubing over the antenna might change the airflow enough to kill the whistle.  I chased a whistle for a couple of years to find out it was the front trim on the hood would pull away just enough to whistle at 65+mph but would snap back in place when it was stopped so there was no gap.  A new clip under the molding fixed the problem.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

My driver mirror whistles at the right speed and temp. Same kinda thing. In your case, I would get some tape out and verify then maybe some clear silicone or similar to block the tiny hole.

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2