• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Reserve: 32-Years-Owned 1973 BMW 2002tii

cdn97986

VIN 2762769 is 12 cars after my own VIN 2762757, so the manufacturing date is likely close to my car’s October 19, 1972.

Lots of potential here! This would be a good base for a restoration. There’s lots of original fabric left.

But about that sunroof and the e30 rims... 

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Love those Bottle Caps! Too bad they took a Sawzall to the roof, added that snorkel nose,  hacked speaker holes in the doors and added a late model steering wheel. Otherwise it's a pretty clean honest tii.

My 73 Malaga tii is 29 cars newer...

Edited by iinca
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 11:42 PM, iinca said:

Love those Bottle Caps! Too bad they took a Sawzall to the roof, added that snorkel nose,  hacked speaker holes in the doors and added a late model steering wheel. Otherwise it's a pretty clean honest tii.

My 73 Malaga tii is 29 cars newer...

+1 (Excepting any kind words for bottlecaps! ?)

And my ‘73 Malaga tii is 12 cars older...

And only Malaga on top...

Best regards,

Steve

747D8753-4495-4722-B8AB-CFECB2A857E3.jpeg

A51FE602-78B1-44E9-A428-6593F4B87F93.jpeg

• Like 1

What saddens me that as soon as the car gets on the auction block...there is just a barrage of negative comments. I don't know what joy people find in looking down on a 50 year old car. It's no different than looking at a 50 year old human and making fun at the wrinkles or a scar or whatever. I find no joy. All of a sudden, everyone is an expert on BAT, all of a sudden it is free to talk anything down as long as it's not costing them but costing the seller.....I have no connection to the car, nor do I know the seller but I do love all 2002s, rusty, crusty, ugly, restored unrestored, tii non tii, hip to be square, groundie, etc. etc. So it really hurts when people start talking about numbers matching or snorkel etc. To me those are so irrelevant so long the car looks, drives and feels as good as it's advertised.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

of course I was being sarcastic about the Bottle Caps...it's not that hard to replace those..

the other things mentioned are OBVIOUS. not like i'm being picky but

it is a tii and they have a pretty high ceiling value wise. It doesn't 

take much to screw that up. Hacking a hole in the roof qualifies as

a major flaw....a new nose is pretty significant. holes in the doors that's not cheap to fix...

there are a few "experts" on BAT but they all seem to wait for Delia or Lytle or Les to comment so it usually ends up being a pretty fair assessment of each car

Edited by iinca

9 hours ago, cdn97986 said:

$20,271 on this one

Probably a great buy at that price. Lose the aftermarket sunroof and replace the e30 bottle caps with original steelies and wheel covers and you’ve got a $30K car... ?

Regards,

Steve

Hi everyone, I’m the proud new owner of this car, my second 02 after almost 35 years. As pointed out the car has a few issues that I’d like to fix. Sunroof, the speaker holes in the door cards and some other minor stuff. From what I’ve read on here so far the best way to delete the sunroof would be to re skin it from donor. I live in South Florida and would welcome any input to send me in the right direction. 

Dan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fortlauderdalian said:

... From what I’ve read on here so far the best way to delete the sunroof would be to re skin it from donor...

Maybe...

But if your plan is to (1.) take a complete original roof skin off another ‘02, (2.) take the complete roof skin off of your new tii, and (3.) install the other roof skin on your car, you could spend a great deal of time and money: there are oodles upon oodles of spot welds to drill out.

Maybe you just weld in a patch piece of metal, level it, and get yourself new headliner bars and a liner.

If I wanted to use the first method, I’d probably install a factory sunroof.

Take your time to think through your goals for the car. The car’s not going anywhere!

Congrats! I believe you got a very good deal!

Regards,

Steve

4 hours ago, Fortlauderdalian said:

Hi everyone, I’m the proud new owner of this car, my second 02 after almost 35 years. As pointed out the car has a few issues that I’d like to fix. Sunroof, the speaker holes in the door cards and some other minor stuff. From what I’ve read on here so far the best way to delete the sunroof would be to re skin it from donor. I live in South Florida and would welcome any input to send me in the right direction. 

Dan

Dan, let’s get something straight. You got a heck of a deal on one of the rarest 2002s. I think number of tii made that year in 73 was like 2500? And out of that, how many were Malaga tii’s? And then to narrow that further, how many of those Malaga tii are still on the road or alive today? 

Now, why am I telling you this? So that you don’t make a big deal about that aftermarket sunroof nor the bottle caps. Don’t let those comments from others bother you. Just enjoy the car the way it is unless you are looking to go back 100 percent original. Just my thoughts. I never found those pop up sunroof absurd or deal breakers. I always thought they are pretty cool.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, Conserv said:

VIN 2762769 is 12 cars after my own VIN 2762757, so the manufacturing date is likely close to my car’s October 19, 1972.

2762630 was the first model year '73 off the line, so yours as well as Steve's is a very early car.  Looks like a nice one too

And shoot, if you're gonna replace the roof to get rid of that aftermarket thing, go for one with a factory sunroof.  No more difficult to install and will increase the car's value as well as its fun factor.  

There are quite a few '02ers between WPB and Miami, so you have local folks to turn to.  And I couldn't help but notice your posting name--my wife and I grew up in Ft Lauderdale when it was much smaller!  We were in the last class to graduate from the original Ft Lauderdale High School, located between SE 2nd St and Broward Blvd, 3rd Av and Federal Highway.  Next time you're down there, check out the historical marker on the 3rd Av side.  

And welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite