• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing it home

Fletcher

Went and got a tow hitch put on my wife’s 2020 Subaru Ascent Limited which has a tow capacity of up to 5000lbs & max tongue weight of 500lbs.  

My route is straight down and back up the i-5 corridor between Washington state and North California which includes some steep grades in the California mountains and Grants Pass in Oregon. 

The trailer empty weighs 2210lbs.   The internet says the Kerb (curb?) weight of a 76 02 is 2317lbs.  

I was all good until I read the warnings and disclaimers.  ?

The Subaru’s manual has some alarming stuff to say about towing trailers up grades  (air conditioning auto shut off cuz car is imminently overheating) and down them (steering & braking issues). 

The U-Haul site has some stuff to say about towing the trailer empty and the tongue being too light causing the trailer to jump and sway.  

Thoughts on any or all of this?  Is this a bad idea or fine?

Thanks!  ?

[Sadly, I traded my Tundra in to get her this car.  If I still had that, I would have grabbed two 02s (one in bed and one on trailer) without a 2nd thought]

Edited by Fletcher
Forgot something

The numbers seem in your favor- yer' under the 5K weight limit, and you should be able to get the tongue weight to whatever's needed by shifting the '02 fore or aft on the trailer.  The U-Haul warnings are real, but driving like you're pulling a trailer, empty or loaded, will make it safe.  It IS different than a trip to the grocery store.  It ISN'T that hard though. 

1.  Don't have any extra baggage in the '02 - spare engines in the cargo area of the Subaru instead.

2.  Don't drive like the carefree folks headed to the lake pulling a boat.  Gentle, moderate use of both pedals except in an emergency.

3.  To enhance # 2, make believe your Subaru brakes and transmission are at the end of their lifespan and could fail at any moment.

4.  Drive like an old (as in has survived a long career), old time trucker who pays for his own truck repairs- stops to cool down Subaru brakes and drivetrain after the big up or down sections won't hurt a thing.

5.  If the traffic is crazy crowded or crazy fast, is there a time in the near future when it won't be?  Wait it out...  Your use of the pedals will be much higher in crowded, fast traffic than on an empty road. 

6.  If the Subaru gives any sort of warning along the way, heed it. 

7.  Space Cushion Driving - back in the 70's some driver ed classes included a very tired old film short with that title urging the new driver to assume everyone else on the road was out to get them.  Leave lots of space between you and those other diabolical drivers.

Finally, yo might also be able to get a good deal on a U-Haul truck to pull the trailer and leave the Subaru home, again making sure it's a local only rental.  The signage on them looks like it's a good deal anyway.   Read all of the fine print!

• Like 4

Having towed more than 5k lbs in a trailer on my old 2002 WRX wagon between San Fran and San Antonio, I think you'll be OK as long as you're gentle, your load is well balanced (as far forward as possible) and keep your distance to give you plenty of time to react.

But, if your subaru happens to have a turbo and you have a manual, be SURE to downshift for hard accelerations, or when lugging up steep grades. Don't keep it in 5th and try to pass someone. Granted, my car was pretty heavily modified, Overboost is real, and I once cracked a cylinder head on that same WRX making that mistake when towing heavy loads. *PPPPFFFFTTTTT* BANG * CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK*

A mistake I won't be making again anytime soon! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calw said:

you might also be able to get a good deal on a U-Haul truck to pull the trailer and leave the Subaru home,

Worth looking into, especially if it's a two way rental.  A lot cheaper than a major repair on your Subie if something goes pfffffffft...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I rented a U Haul trailer and a Ford Super Duty from Enterprise truck. Not the cheapest but no worries at all.

Mine was a 2000 mile round trip. The truck was $74k with 900 miles on it, a pure joy to drive and made the trip fun and easy

all done alone.

Nowhere N.Dakota.

IMG_2899.PNG

2002 fits easy on a UHaul trailer.

IMG_2902.JPG

• Like 3

I always thought that tow limits were set by testing and engineers sitting in a back room with those green eye shades and pocket protectors,  but when I researched it turns out the tow limits are set by the marketing department, so I only tow to 75% of the max tow limit.  

PS u haul is very picky about renting equipment if there is any question about tow weight and gvw.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I always thought that tow limits were set by testing and engineers sitting in a back room with those green eye shades and pocket protectors,  but when I researched it turns out the tow limits are set by the marketing department, so I only tow to 75% of the max tow limit.  

...and I routinely tow well over the US limit, as amusingly. the same ratings

for the same cars sold in Non-Covid-Lands are often double that

on our diseased shores.

Apparently the lawyers have some say, too.  Since our legal system is so rabid.

What I DON'T do is do stupid things like go flying down Vantage at 80mph, or try to climb back up out of it 

with my foot on the floor.  Tailgate.  Speed.  Talk on the phone.  Do my mascara.

I've towed between Seattle and SF a few times- it's not bad at all.  Just stay right in the Siskyous and don't push

it too hard.  An I6 in a 1980 Chev pickup is pretty weenie with #4000 behind you....  and then use 

gentle engine braking on the way down.

Common sense will get you home just fine.  Just be sane.

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I understand this is a one time trip so this observation is not necessarily critical 

but towing with a marginal capacity will put quite a strain on the vehicle.  My first truck was a C10 Chevy van.  The trans was shot in  4 years.   the brake rotors would warp every time I went down the hill from Watkins Glen

Then I used a Ford E 250 for 25 years of towing and the only mechanical failure was a fuel pump

• Like 1

Paul