• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is your fave brightest LED plug-in brake light bulb?

ray_

I had no luck with LED "1156" replacements.  They either butted up against the lens or the light array was not projected outward, only to the sides.

I did replace my front markers recently with SiriusLED "1157" Amber bulbs.  Excellent projection!  I estimate triple the output of analog bulbs.

SO...I would (if I didn't have the most fantastic LED taillight arrays) try the KG Series SiriusLED 1156 bulbs in red or maybe white.  They not only have side projection but also outward projection LEDs.SiriusLED_Red.jpg

So there!

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Indeed. 

The white car has ClassicAutoLEDs for about 10 years now. But I'm cheaping out on the ugly car.

I've had some issues with fitment on Amazon offerings due to the German socket design/length etc. 

I think I'll try your suggestion -- making me about a third of the way to the proper solution price point due to all my attempts! :D

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

5 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I've had some issues with fitment on Amazon offerings due to the German socket design/length etc. 

These bulbs have a plastic body, so a little grinding probably wouldn't hurt them if you had to do some surgery.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I went with Alla lighting 1156 LED blinking bulbs for the brake and non blinking for the illuminated brake lamp. They both have the 360 projector tip lens for full illumination. Very bright and annoying for whomever is behind me that isn’t paying attention. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jae said:

I went with Alla lighting 1156 LED blinking bulbs for the brake and non blinking for the illuminated brake lamp. They both have the 360 projector tip lens for full illumination. Very bright and annoying for whomever is behind me that isn’t paying attention. 

Yeah your other post spurred me to post here. I am on the fence about strobe. I'd like it programmed to strobe the first time and then delay the strobe, so in stop and go it would be less irritating. Though the $5 strobe controller on superbright's pages is very tempting....

Cheers,

Ray

20 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Yeah your other post spurred me to post here. I am on the fence about strobe. I'd like it programmed to strobe the first time and then delay the strobe, so in stop and go it would be less irritating. Though the $5 strobe controller on superbright's pages is very tempting....

Cheers,

I agree with you. That would be a great benefit to have especially here with socal freeway traffic, constantly blinking brake lights would get annoying rather quickly on the 405

59 minutes ago, Healey3000 said:

Aren't blinking/flashing lights other than turn indicators illegal in most, if not all, states?  I was contemplating this until I read the "fine print".

I see them on cop cars now :)

Some iterations are legal, I think.

Cheers,

Ray

On 7/9/2020 at 11:38 AM, jp5Touring said:

purchased LedSuperBright.com bulbs and been very happy with them. 

I just checked.  The LedSuperBright 1156 bulb is $5.95 and 325 lumens.  Right?

The Sirius LED 1156 bulb is $12.00 and 700 lumens.  Double the brightness.

I don't mind paying the premium.  I have never been "thrilled" by LED replacement bulbs until now.

They are especially awesome in the front corners (actually #1157s).

8 minutes ago, tisalover said:

Hey brothers, are these all just plug and play lights, no problems with the wiring, current and installation?

You'll need an electronic flasher unit.  Search this forum for "LED flasher etc"  There is a long thread on the correct flasher units.

On 7/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, Jae said:

as long as no more than 4 flashes within 4 seconds after actuation.

That is actually slow...one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand.

To me that contradicts what brake lights are for.  STOP. 

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I’m in the process of developing custom LED panels, can’t tell you yet how they perform or if it’ll actually work the way I imagine.

The goal is to have them as a direct replacement for the regular bulbs without the need for installing new wiring etc. 

a small preview of my PCBs right now

image.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I just checked.  The LedSuperBright 1156 bulb is $5.95 and 325 lumens.  Right?

The Sirius LED 1156 bulb is $12.00 and 700 lumens.  Double the brightness.

Paul, do you have the SuperbrightLED or the Sirius?  On Sirius's website, the 1156 says 500 lumens each...  From 325 to 500 I think is noticeable and probably worth it.  Seven hundred might be too bright for a turn signal- that's really bright.

https://www.siriusledlights.com/collections/led-exterior-light/products/rlk-series-built-in-resistor-1156-amber

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.