• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: Repro cold start relay - BMW 2002 Tii, 2002 Turbo, 520i

JsnPpp

Price: $195

Description:

**** Update: March 2023 ****

I have a few repro Cold Start Relay boards built and tested. If you need one, let me know!

Not sure if yours is bad? I'm happy to help troubleshoot, test, etc.

Price includes shipping to Continental US.

Cheers,

~JasonP

~~~

Hi,

I have parts to build several cold start relay circuit boards designed to fit aluminum case cold start relay Bosch PN: 0335 330 001 and Bosch PN: 0335 330 003. This circuit board does not fit the black plastic case Bosch PN: F026 T00 001.

These cold start relays can be found in BMW 2002tii, BMW 2002 turbo and early BMW 520i cars. The repro boards are a custom PCB with high quality, properly rated components and a custom spade connector design that is stronger than original. I build each by hand, which takes multiple phases; daughterboard and spade connectors + passive components. Then two rounds of testing (the final is actual installation in my tii). The goal is for the boards to be strong, work as originally designed and last another 50 years.

If interested in a board, shoot me a message. The price includes shipping within the continental US (with tracking number). I take paypal. Please note that this price is the circuit board only, not the aluminum box. You will need to swap the board in your case (I include instructions) but if you wish you can send me your box prior, I can test it and then swap boards and send it all back to you.

If you choose to buy a cold start relay, and have a non-working board that you want me to look at, let me know at time of purchase. If it has burned components or lifting solder traces, I can explore repairing it so that you retain the original as backup. No guarantees though; some boards are pretty far gone - this is a case by case basis.

Here is my blog in case you wish to learn more (or follow the journey) https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/404-reproducing-the-tii-cold-start-relay/. This also includes troubleshooting, before you buy a new cold start relay make sure your entire system is working as it should.

Thank you. Any questions, just ask!

~Jason

IMG_2780.resized.jpeg

Edited by JsnPpp
Update March 2023
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi ,

I have a cold start relay that came with the '74 tii when purchased in Feb 2019. I replaced it with a newer version but have

problems with hot starts and need to hold throttle valve open and crank hard to start. Will the rebuild of my board solve the

problem of hot start. It seems as though the cold start valve (new) is allowing fuel to spray in when hot. Hope you can help.

Thanks Mike

4 hours ago, GTS407 said:

Hi ,

I have a cold start relay that came with the '74 tii when purchased in Feb 2019. I replaced it with a newer version but have

problems with hot starts and need to hold throttle valve open and crank hard to start. Will the rebuild of my board solve the

problem of hot start. It seems as though the cold start valve (new) is allowing fuel to spray in when hot. Hope you can help.

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Could be a few things. My first question is which newer version did you replace it with - was it the black plastic box (vs. aluminum)? Was it a known working cold start relay? Also, has the car gone through a full tune up (everything - plugs, valves, cap, rotor, all linkages have been triple checked for "no slop" (by "no" I mean zero!). This puts you at a clean ground point. If it a smooth running tii, that gives good power and gets good gas mileage (highway in the low to mid 20's), then it's probably tuned right.

Before replacing cold start circuit parts I would check all cold start circuit wiring. A voltmeter (like $9 at harbor freight) would permit you to trace each wire back. There are several sources online or in books that you can follow, I can also send you my summary if you wish. 

As to parts - if wiring checks out, it is possible that the cold start relay is not functioning properly, but also a malfunctioning thermo time switch, or a leaking cold start fuel injector. It also could be a misadjusted kugelfisher warm-up regulator (make sure when the engine is at full operating temperature, the "top hat" is off of the lever 10mm, perhaps the car is running rich all around.)

I can take a look at your original board and test if you wish - no charge other than you pay for shipping to Austin, Texas. My new cold start relay boards take the board out of the equation and add modern component reliability. But again, check the wiring first before buying anything.  Shoot me a PM any time!

Jason

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Thanks, Jason I would like to send my old  "Zeitschalter" to you for testing and would like an address. Now to give

more data the following has been done : rebuilt KF and ejectors, adjusted linkages,new cold start valve, new plugs,

petronix ignition. I am not sure about the thermo time switch as I did test it as to function ok but not to actual temp .

The replacement cold start is in a plastic box and don't know if is  function correct for this car but assumed it was.

The engine is now out as I had a bad oil pump and will be doing a complete rebuild in addition to a reconditoned

head. All wiring seems to be OK and the test port at the coil wire etc has been removed and replaced with new wires.

The engine did run good  at 5200 altitude, where I live, it does run rich with gas milage from mid to low 20's. Any additional

info you can provide would be appreciated.  I never checked nor adjusted the " top hat" and assumed it was adjusted by

by KF rebuilder. Thanks for your help

Mike

19 hours ago, GTS407 said:

Thanks, Jason I would like to send my old  "Zeitschalter" to you for testing and would like an address. Now to give

more data the following has been done : rebuilt KF and ejectors, adjusted linkages,new cold start valve, new plugs,

petronix ignition. I am not sure about the thermo time switch as I did test it as to function ok but not to actual temp .

The replacement cold start is in a plastic box and don't know if is  function correct for this car but assumed it was.

The engine is now out as I had a bad oil pump and will be doing a complete rebuild in addition to a reconditoned

head. All wiring seems to be OK and the test port at the coil wire etc has been removed and replaced with new wires.

The engine did run good  at 5200 altitude, where I live, it does run rich with gas milage from mid to low 20's. Any additional

info you can provide would be appreciated.  I never checked nor adjusted the " top hat" and assumed it was adjusted by

by KF rebuilder. Thanks for your help

Mike

Hi,

Happy to help - feel free to shoot me a PM through this board or an email to jasonpap2002 AT yahoo DOT com. If engine is out and you are verifying I'd say also send the thermo-time switch and I can plug them both into the test harness and check/map functionality. Easy to do.

~Jason

Hi Folks,

Sold the last of my repro boards, thanks to everyone who was part of it. I will gather parts for additional boards and build them up. Will take some time but do PM me if you are interested.

~Jason

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 4:05 PM, JsnPpp said:
Price: $245
Description:

**** Update November 2020 ****

Hi Folks, I sold the last of my extra boards from the first batch, thanks to everyone! I'll gather parts for a second batch. If you have a need just reach out. 

~Jason

~Hi Jason I am interested in one of your new circuit boards ASAP . I have just installed a rebuilt injection pump and have found that the relay is not working. Do yo have an idea of when you might have more of these available ? Thanks Tom ~~

Hi,

I have parts to build several cold start relay circuit boards designed to fit aluminum case cold start relay Bosch PN: 0335 330 001 and Bosch PN: 0335 330 003. This circuit board does not fit the black plastic case Bosch PN: F026 T00 001.

These cold start relays can be found in BMW 2002tii, BMW 2002 turbo and early BMW 520i cars. The repro boards are a custom PCB with high quality, properly rated components and a custom spade connector design that is stronger than original. I build each by hand, which takes multiple phases; daughterboard and spade connectors + passive components. Then two rounds of testing (the final is actual installation in my tii). The goal is for the boards to be strong, work as originally designed and last another 50 years.

If interested in a board, shoot me a message. The price includes shipping within the continental US (with tracking number). I take paypal. Please note that this price is the circuit board only, not the aluminum box. You will need to swap the board in your case (I include instructions) but if you wish you can send me your box prior, I can test it and then swap boards and send it all back to you.

If you choose to buy a cold start relay, and have a non-working board that you want me to look at, let me know at time of purchase. If it has burned components or lifting solder traces, I can explore repairing it so that you retain the original as backup. No guarantees though; some boards are pretty far gone - this is a case by case basis.

Here is my blog in case you wish to learn more (or follow the journey) https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/404-reproducing-the-tii-cold-start-relay/. This also includes troubleshooting, before you buy a new cold start relay make sure your entire system is working as it should.

Thank you. Any questions, just ask!

~Jason

IMG_2780.resized.jpeg

Hi Bret,

Thanks for the ask. I don't have any built out of my original run. A couple other folks have expressed interest and so I just need to put time aside to build and test them. I'll target building a few in December, I can then reach out to see if you are still interested.

In the meantime, I recommend verifying your cold start circuit wiring to ensure it's all 100%, especially if your cold start has never worked. Want to make sure a new relay will fix the problem! Happy to provide some guidance there, feel free to send me a PM!

Cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...

Folks, I've had several requests for more boards and so I will build a handful more in the next few weeks. If you are interested, shoot me a PM!

Thank you in advance,

JasonP

• Like 1