• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 specific tools?

Fletcher

Noob question I’m sure, but noob I am..

I’m about to embark on a 1976 02 restoration project.  I’ve never worked on a BMW before.  I’ve done a limited amount of as-needed repairs to other cars (Japanese & American) and my tool kit at this point is all pretty generic craftsman mechanic tools.  My project will involve repair & replacement of body panels, interior furnishings and the installation of replacement engine/trans & driveshaft.  

Are there BMW/02 specific tools I will need? And if so, any recommendations for inexpensive ways or places to source those?

thank you!

You'll need to pick up a metric set of sockets & wrenches for the 2002.  Craftsman, Husky or Kobalt will all do the job.  There are a few special things (super-thin or ground down wrench for driveshaft work) but those will get you started.  Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Welcome to the FAQ!  You'll find lots of great info here, along with a couple grouchy people (myself included).  There are lots of great 2002 guys up in your area.

Here's a couple tools that come to mind, not exactly bmw-specific.  

1) 2002 "blue binder" factory repair manual: It's available as a .pdf here on the FAQ.

2) Bearing Race Kit: From HF or similar.  It makes installing bearing races a breeze.

3) Hydraulic Press

4) Plastic trim/fastener removal tools (cheap off of amazon)

5) Flare Nut Wrenches

6) Pop-Rivet Gun and rivets

7) 02 Restoration Guide (by Mike Macartney)

8 Feeler gauge

• Like 1

Regardless of the specific car I'm working on, here's the short list of some random tools that I've found indispensable and probably would have HUGE regrets if I hadn't bought them long ago:

- SIX-POINT (NOT 12-point) metric box end wrenches (mine are craftsman, but others available) for max grip when breaking 'old bolts' free. 12-point sockets/socket wrench for holding or once broken free are fine.

- MAP torch.  Just get one and then thank me later.

- For suspension work a good ball-joint separator (please no pickle forks) though funnily enough my favorite one is actually cheap from harbor freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

- 1/2" drive breaker bar

- Lots of 3/8" extensions

- Ratcheting wrenches are nice

- Ball end allen wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-38099-GoldGuard-Ballpoint-L-Wrench/dp/B000E7ZQIA/

- Flare wrenches (as mentioned above) for brake lines.

If you find a job on a 2002 that you CAN'T get done with the above list, post back what it is and I'll probably remember what it takes, but I think that plus basic screwdrivers should cover just about 95% of the whole car right there.

• If you're gonna mess with the rear axle...a 36mm 3/4" drive socket and a humongous cheater bar (275 ft/lbs to loosen or tighten).  And make sure your 1/2" drive breaker bar has a lifetime warranty...
  • A set of metric allen wrenches, and a specific allen socket (8mm IIRC) for the half shaft bolts at both the diff end and the stub axle end.  
  • You'll also need a (help me out here, folks if I'm off by a mm or two) 22 or 23mm socket for the front suspension bolts
  • a pair of snap ring pliers for the clutch slave cylinder
  • A propane torch isn't a bad idea either for persuading recalcitrant bolts and nuts to surrender their death grip on each other.
  • a multimeter for tracking down electrical gremlins (and they will be present!)

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority--and don't be shy about asking questions....lotsa expertise on the FAQ--nice folks too...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Fletcher,

Welcome to 2002FAQ - the best '02-specific tool you can have.  Sounds like you're a smart mechanic.  However, just in case you don't have them, make damn sure you have a damn good and exceedingly high quality...

• fire extinguisher
  • first aid kit with an eye washer
  • eye protectors
  • jack
  • set of jack stands
  • charged cell phone (in your pocket at all times)
  • bold and prominently placed sign: "Disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal Before Working on This Car!"
  • person who knows you are in the garage

Now, you're set to look for '02-specific tools and have years of '02 fun.

Larry

• Like 2

There isn't much-  the oddballs might be, depending on your kit and your car:

7 mm wrench for brake bleeder.

8 mm wrench for brake bleeder.

11 mm flare nut wrench

6 mm allen socket

8 mm allen socket

10 mm allen socket

17 mm allen socket

30 mm socket

30 mm deep well thin wall socket

36 mm 3/4" drive socket (the Harbor Freight 3/4:"  drive set is useful for the price)

22 and 24 mm wrenches.  I have a 30mm as well, but I'm not sure it's critical.

Brass faced 3# hammer and brass drift

Acetylene torch if you're doing metalwork

(or other shrinking method for high- tensile steel)

Everything else is pretty bog- standard.

I'm sure I missed a few oddballs, but there just aren't that many.

Some of the things you DO are a bit different, but using Google to 

search this site finds most of the answers, and you've already

found the other way to get help!

Have fun!

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, mike said:

A propane torch isn't a bad idea either for persuading recalcitrant bolts

MAP torch, Mike! Time to ditch that old propane!

Multimeter is a key one I forgot though, good call.  If you don't have one already, I REALLY like this one, as it's 25x scale puts automotive 12V systems smack dab in the middle for easy usage!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IEFC8G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Mike! Time to ditch that old propane!

Not when you have a nice propane torch with a built-in lighter, and a half dozen propane bottles left behind by tenants whose movers wouldn't take 'em...free is good!  Besides, for the serious stuff, I have an acetylene torch...

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The most important tool of them all you already possess, THIS FORUM!  

Get yourself a pair of Harbour Freight jack stands-NO don't just kidding but a lift if you can spare the scratch.  

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know