Hello everyone!

I've been a long time lurker on the forum but as my project now officially started off, also decided to subscribe to the community. My name is Niels, born in the Netherlands, raised in Belgium and living and working in Stuttgart Germany. I've always been a huge car enthusiast which started with collecting all possible car brochures as a kid up until working in vehicle development.

Okay, enough about my background, the 02! I bought the '02 back in 2015 with the plan to have the BMW as a driving project, as a student that seemed the most viable option. So after a long search I found this car:

IMG_3290.JPG

Okay okay, the front is not matching and the car has been painted by hand, but what could be wrong right (Naive me) !?

According to the nice gentleman selling it to me it was not in the best condition, but moderate with a good shell and drivable. I even got a new apk (dmv/mot) with it, so what could be wrong right? So, I drove it for some time, enjoying the thumbs up, having had no problems whatsoever apart from a gearbox replacement which took only half a day to fix.

But as it was supposed to be a driving project, I started off stripping the interior. Bad call, or maybe not too bad in the long run... I'm expecting these 2 photo's will tell the story just fine.

rightside_front_floor.pngleftside_front_floor.jpeg

I have no idea what one of the previous owners thought they were doing while covering everything up with bitumen, but this is of course not the way to fix issues. Also I have no idea, apart from cutting everything away, on how to remove the bitumen as it's sticky and seems to be full of moist. If anyone has an idea on this, let me know :)

So the driving project instantly came to a standstill. Until now that is. Last week I've brought the car over to Stuttgart and I can now start working on it. Hopefully I can share with you a nice project with lots of challenges but hopefully a nice end-result, the project will be a "restomod" style of project. 

The plans for the car:

• Strip down the car, removing interior, windows, trim, side panels and nose (I already have a replica from WN, did hear they needed some fiddling to get good?)
  • Removal of the soundproofing
  • Remove the driveline and suspension
  • Buying or building a suitable rotisserie 
  • Body rust repair
  • Rear cage (allowing for passengers)
  • Paint removal and protection (Not sure yet which approach to take, being acid or sandblast + etching primer + epoxy primer, so many possibilities and opinions on this)
  • Engine rebuild (+ upgrade?)
  • Suspension; Koni sport dampers with front coil overs and rear coil adjusters, Poly bushing and upgraded sway bars (Needs to be approved by TÜV in Germany)
  • Color of the car is not completely sure yet but the preference is at the moment at a deep (metallic) yellow a la Renault RS
  • Exact build up and interior is unknown until now, first things first...

Yesterday after setting up my workspace I started with the stripping down the car, the main parts of the interior I already stripped down in 2016 and are in storage for now. Stripping down the car I'm trying to do as careful as possible by taking photos of the parts before the go out, labelling them, packing and putting them in storage. 

I started off with removing all the windows as they are most vulnerable

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

For tomorrow the planning is to try and take off the side trims without completely destroying them, certainly the trims along the roof seem to be challenging!

I'd be updating this blog as I go along!

Edited by Schreuders Engineering
  • Like 1

In the past couple of days I’ve been working on stripping the car down after which after I’ve put her up and started with the removal of the exhaust and driveshaft.

868F95FA-4E22-4F3B-8AD0-E3596EDD4E48.jpeg

though, I couldn’t resist to leave the engine and gearbox in, so pulled them out as well. 
A82DAFA5-6DE4-4B58-BC8F-2C49E391FB05.jpeg
as the car has a lot of rust I’ve decided to go for a chemical bath in two stages. 1st the car will be completely cleaned until the bare metal after which it is neutralised. Then I’ll get the car back which allows me to replace all the bad parts, I’m expecting quite a few with this one. 

when everything is finished the car will be cleaned again after which it gets a ktl/epd  treatment. 

6AD52B26-052E-42E9-B4A9-86566FA6C968.jpeg
Next on the list is removing the front fenders and the nose. 

• Like 1

I'm still in the process of stripping the car down to its shell. Unfortunately it seems the car is in a bad condition, so hopefully I'll still be able to safe it! It will cost some money and effort but it'll be worth it once it's finished, anyways that's still far far away...

So, I took off the front because it was completely rotten, I already have a replacement nose from W&N let's see how it'll fit I heard lots of stories. 

IMG_3002.jpeg

As it seems that also my spring towers are in bad shape, I made a brace and a mould for them in case they are disappearing completely from the scene, I still have the dimensions measured from the front of the frame.

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3018.jpeg

The mould I can slide on and off with the sleeve up front, there is no play in it whatsoever at this point.

IMG_3028.jpeg

With that done, I added some additional support in the car itself, from the A to B pillars and from the B-pillar to the transmission tunnel, not pretty but hopefully effective.

IMG_3044.jpeg

Now, the front and rear subframes can be removed which was a surprisingly easy job! This is how she sits right now, next thing up is to weld a trolley under it such that the paint and rust can be removed

IMG_3045.jpegIMG_3046.jpeg

Oh, on the side I'm working on a little project of mine for the rear lights to LED conversion. I know someone on the forum already did this, and that they are being commercially offered as well, but I didn't fully feel for the approach so I'm trying to develop my own. This is the status right now, parts will come in this week such that I can assemble the PCB after which I still need to make the mounting system, I'll keep you guys updated about this as well.

image.jpg

Cheers,

Niels

• Like 2

The last week I worked on making a trolley for the '02 and yesterday I took it to Carblast, there I the car will go through a two step process. The first step is strip all the paint and remove all the rust by soaking it in a chemical bath after which it is passivated. At that point I will get the car (or what's left of it) back such that I can start with the repairs. IMG_3071.jpeg

Whenever that is done, the car will go back once more, in the second step the car will be get a cathodic electrodeposition treatment making it strong against the red/brown metal enemy.

So I rented a small towing truck and prepped the car, put the spare hood on, the new nose in the back and also decided to take the original hood with me, just in case. Ready to go!

IMG_3076.jpeg

Turns out, that adding the extra original hood costed extra to get treaded as well, Who would've thought 🤪. Considering the state it was in, I didn't push it true so I decided to take it back home with me. 

However, I had to bring the truck back in time. Meaning that I couldn't drop off the hood at the workshop...

Hood_transport_bmw_428i copy.jpg

It turns out, you draw quite some attention driving around with a hood on the roof...

So, the car is now waiting in line and it'll take approximately 4-6 weeks. In that time I will make a start with the engine and driveline, and there might be a little side project coming up, which I will elaborate upon at a later stage.

Best,

-Niels

So while the car is out for a bath the next couple of weeks, I decided to have an early Christmas and I took apart the front and rear axle/suspension assemblies.

Unfortunately the suspension assemblies have not been able to win the battle against our usual suspect and certainly one of the swing arms sits in a terrible condition.

IMG_3091.jpeg

Luckily, a friend of mine pulled these off a couple of years ago :D 

IMG_3092.jpeg

All usable suspension parts are now awaiting a proper sand blast at the local shop :D 

So Santa a.k.a. W&N came by to drop off some fresh metal replacement parts. I'm pretty sure there will be a second (third/fourth/...) order pending once the 02'er is returning from its wellness retreat, but I already ordered the stuff that for sure needs to be replaced!

The lower A-pillar sections together with the lower rear "bumper" side sections

IMG_3109.jpeg

Floor pans! Left front, right front and right rear. The left rear unit seemed still to be okay'ish, but let's see!

IMG_3111.jpeg

The section running from the lower A-pillar top, towards the front of the car creating more support and stability for the suspension components. (I received both sides)

IMG_3108.jpeg

And finally the fuel tank compartment, which was completely detached on the side.

IMG_3110.jpeg

I also continued with my little side project, the LED rear lighting. I've been able to build up my prototype board for the indicator light and perform some analysis and measurements. Although it looks good, the measurements did not fully satisfy my expectations, so I'm going into the second iteration with the electronic layout.

IMG_3103.jpeg

Regarding the mounting of the PCBs; I've already developed the mountings in CAD but I've unfortunately not found the time yet to make the prototypes and evaluate them.

This is how the indicator light looks behind the lens, it is however very hard to capture the actual light it emits on the photo.

IMG_3104.jpeg

Until the next update! 

- Niels

• Like 2
1 hour ago, D.martijn said:

Great progress on you 02! I'm curious how it'll look once you have it back from the acid bath!

Thanks! Yep me too, but I’m also a bit afraid though... 😅 still some weeks left before I’ll get it back. 

As of next week I have my dads 02 touring over to go through the same procedure.
2B12822C-DD71-47D6-9166-73F2F1DDB204.jpeg

Funny story to it; he bought this exact 02 brand new back in the early 70s and he bought it back 5 years ago, his plan is to put it also through the acid bath and restore it back to original.

1 hour ago, D.martijn said:

Yeah, I bet!

How long is the lead time to dip a body?

Nice Touring, loving the color. Just recently I saw an identical one on the highway here in Belgium.

Currently also restoring one.. it's quite rusty as well 😄

As they have a hall stacked up with cars the lead time is 4-6 weeks. This was standing around when I brought mineedd51092-f74f-4e1f-b609-62c164367186.jpeg

1b90131b-c379-4139-857b-a68dc1cdbfe8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally I've been able to work a bit on the car again. It took quite some time to get my parts back from sandblasting as well as all the necessary tools for pushing out the rubber bushings and spray painting the parts.

Anyways, today I started with applying a 2K-Epoxy primer using my spray gun. It was my first time spraying, but it didn't turn out too bad. Tomorrow I will the "thick" spots down and apply a second coat.

IMG_3292.jpeg

Yep, that's me! 😄

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3294.jpeg

There are however a few challenges along the way before the whole suspension is finished. The metal sleeves living inside the front wishbones are nicely corroded so need replacement. I've been reading a bit on the forum and saw some people who said to replace the whole wishbones, but also found some people who home-brew a solution. For my project I'm planning on manufacturing a mould which enables me to press in a new piece of tubing (Thoughts go towards Stainless 304 or DIN2391), the PU bushings I will turn using my lathe.

IMG_3285.jpeg

Cheers,

Niels

added a photo
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In my previous post I started painting my subframes and some other components of the suspension, however as I'm a rookie at spray painting I underestimated the amount of paint needed to get a good cover. So obviously I ran out of paint and had to wait for a new batch to come in, as I can't get the paint locally and needed to be shipped from my home country. So I had a few days before I could continue with the process. 

The epoxy primer The 2 component epoxy primer

The spray "booth"

The spray "booth"

A process which apart from the amount of paint, also took more time. But I want to get it right, so I better spent the time on it, as it will pay off in the end. So, sanding in between layers to lightly roughen the surface and get rid of some thicker spots were my main time occupants. The littlest time occupant is actually the spraying itself, which takes about 20 minutes at max, even mixing the paint properly and cleaning the tools afterwards takes more time. So, indeed, preparation is key.

Front subframe in full coat Front subframe in full coat

After the last layer of spray paint I hand brushed those hard to reach areas which were, especially on the fron subframe, impossible to reach due to the many bends and forms.

Finally it was time to put some color into the mix! I long doubted about the color to put over here, the wild ideas of having bright yellow or red were quickly thrown out of the window. I had a whole gamma of colours to choose from, so choosing simply a black seemed a bit blunt to me. So I did eventually choose for a dark (durable) blue color which I think complies quite good with my vision and objective of the car. Making the 02 its best version of itself.

Blue in the can Blue in the can

The paint system The color coat paint system

The 2 component paint system from De Ijssel is, like the epoxy primer from Epifanes, coming from the nautical industry. Where it is being used for yachts and shipping, my dad has always been in the professional shipping industry and based on his advise I went with these products. Both paint brands are more or less identical to each other and are therefore also compatible in the complete paint build up.

Almost ready to go Almost ready to go

I used the same spray gun for the paint job, although I changed my nozzle from 1.8mm for the epoxy primer to a 1.3mm for the color coat as its viscosity is significantly lower.

And this is how it looks right now, after the first layer of the blue coat. I'm very happy with the result up until now, based on the lighting it sometimes is almost black but by changing the perspective a bit the nice deep blue color comes through. I at least love it :D 

Some photos of how it all sits right now.

Rear subframe, 1st blue coat Rear subframe, 1st coat of blue

Rear subframe, 1st coat of blue Rear subframe, 1st coat of blue

Front subframe, 1st coat of blue Front subframe, 1st coat of blue

Front subframe, 1st coat of blue Front subframe, 1st coat of blue

Front subframe, 1st blue coat Front subframe, 1st coat of blue

Trailing arms, 1st coat of blue Trailing arms, 1st coat of blue

Some small suspension/steering components, 1st coat of blue Some small suspension/steering components, 1st coat of blue

Front control arms, 1st coat of blue Front control arms, 1st coat of blue

In total 3-4 layers will go on with the components being sanded in between the layers, increasing the grid as I go along from 240 till 600 before the final layer goes up. My impression of the paint is that this one is able to flow a bit better compared to the epoxy primer, so maybe there is no need to hand brush those hard to reach spots afterwards, but let's see.

Hope you liked the read! In case of any questions, advise or feedback, I would be very happy to hear! 😄

Cheers,

Niels

Adapted captions

Just a short post for progress and traceback reasons. I did a light 240 grid sanding this afternoon after which I applied a second coat. 

sanded the first coat with a 240 grid Sanded the first coat with a 240 grid

We now have something which starts to mirror a bit more, a complete mirror it will of course never be but it's nice to see some results from the work put into it.

Second blue coat Second blue coat

Second coat with minor mirror effect Mirror mirror on the wall that's the best thumbs up of them all!

Tomorrow it's time for the third coat!

Cheers,

Niels

• 1 month later...

It's back! Already for some time, but didn't have a lot of time in the past weeks to really work on the car. Anyway, there is not just a bit of work, but a ton of work. Certainly the rear is affected quite a bit and the whole floor in the boot needs to be replaced. On the front, I will replace both frame rails and some sections of the floor. Also the inner wing covers need to be done and sills as well. Luckily I have already quite a lot of material in to do this but it will be a long process.

I'm happy that I've chosen to do the chemical bath as it now shows every single thing which is wrong with the car. If not done like this but by hand I would probably get annoyed at some point when finding yet another spot or area which needs attention, if I would have found them at all.

I'll make some better photo's once the car is in the rotisserie, here are some photo's of picking it up.

IMG_3430.jpeg There she is!

IMG_3432.jpeg In the trailer

As there is so much work on the car I decided to draw and make a rotisserie for the car, as welding upside down is not ideal, I'll put the car upside down. Maybe I've over dimensioned the whole thing a bit though.... 🤪

IMG_3435.jpeg

So I took some dimensions and made a drawing of the rotisserie in CAD before picking up 24m of iron and actually starting with the build. The red part is the frame on which the BMW is already mounted.

Schermafbeelding 2020-09-21 om 23.08.22.png

So it costed me around 300 euro to get all the iron and materials, quite a bit cheaper compared to the commercial available ones which I probably have to adapt as well to fit the car. The commercial ones are of course easier to adjust and might have some additional options.

IMG_3910.jpeg

So basically I should be able to change the height of the whole system such that the center of gravity of the car is more or less aligned with the rotating axle. The height is adjusted by sliding the middle part (where the rod is attached) up and down the rail, bolts (M18) will fix the slider in place, this means I do have discrete height adjustment, so a perfect alignment might not be possible. 

IMG_3898.jpeg

So at the moment, both sides are more or less finished, only a locking system needs to be attached to it such that I can fix the car at various angles.

IMG_3915.jpeg

The only thing I'm not too happy with is the length of the rear before it actually attaches to the car. A lot of other options are not there as the rear end of the car is in a too bad condition for this. However, the rotisserie seems to be a bit over dimensioned so hopefully it'll work out. Otherwise I could still make some diagonals whenever I know how much room I have whenever the car is attached.

Hopefully the car will go in somewhere in the next days/week.

Cheers,
Niels

No idea why the photo is down here, can't get it out...

IMG_3898.jpeg

On 7/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, Schreuders Engineering said:

Hello everyone!

I've been a long time lurker on the forum but as my project now officially started off, also decided to subscribe to the community. My name is Niels, born in the Netherlands, raised in Belgium and living and working in Stuttgart Germany. I've always been a huge car enthusiast which started with collecting all possible car brochures as a kid up until working in vehicle development.

Okay, enough about my background, the 02! I bought the '02 back in 2015 with the plan to have the BMW as a driving project, as a student that seemed the most viable option. So after a long search I found this car:

IMG_3290.JPG

Okay okay, the front is not matching and the car has been painted by hand, but what could be wrong right (Naive me) !?

According to the nice gentleman selling it to me it was not in the best condition, but moderate with a good shell and drivable. I even got a new apk (dmv/mot) with it, so what could be wrong right? So, I drove it for some time, enjoying the thumbs up, having had no problems whatsoever apart from a gearbox replacement which took only half a day to fix.

But as it was supposed to be a driving project, I started off stripping the interior. Bad call, or maybe not too bad in the long run... I'm expecting these 2 photo's will tell the story just fine.

rightside_front_floor.pngleftside_front_floor.jpeg

I have no idea what one of the previous owners thought they were doing while covering everything up with bitumen, but this is of course not the way to fix issues. Also I have no idea, apart from cutting everything away, on how to remove the bitumen as it's sticky and seems to be full of moist. If anyone has an idea on this, let me know :)

So the driving project instantly came to a standstill. Until now that is. Last week I've brought the car over to Stuttgart and I can now start working on it. Hopefully I can share with you a nice project with lots of challenges but hopefully a nice end-result, the project will be a "restomod" style of project. 

The plans for the car:

• Strip down the car, removing interior, windows, trim, side panels and nose (I already have a replica from WN, did hear they needed some fiddling to get good?)
  • Removal of the soundproofing
  • Remove the driveline and suspension
  • Buying or building a suitable rotisserie 
  • Body rust repair
  • Rear cage (allowing for passengers)
  • Paint removal and protection (Not sure yet which approach to take, being acid or sandblast + etching primer + epoxy primer, so many possibilities and opinions on this)
  • Engine rebuild (+ upgrade?)
  • Suspension; Koni sport dampers with front coil overs and rear coil adjusters, Poly bushing and upgraded sway bars (Needs to be approved by TÜV in Germany)
  • Color of the car is not completely sure yet but the preference is at the moment at a deep (metallic) yellow a la Renault RS
  • Exact build up and interior is unknown until now, first things first...

Yesterday after setting up my workspace I started with the stripping down the car, the main parts of the interior I already stripped down in 2016 and are in storage for now. Stripping down the car I'm trying to do as careful as possible by taking photos of the parts before the go out, labelling them, packing and putting them in storage. 

I started off with removing all the windows as they are most vulnerable

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

For tomorrow the planning is to try and take off the side trims without completely destroying them, certainly the trims along the roof seem to be challenging!

I'd be updating this blog as I go along!

nice work! keep going :) 

• Like 1