• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust

Yale

I took off the front resonator as it was leaking and not available. The car sounds better, which is good, but I’m sensing a back pressure issue as there is less umpf before the turbo cones on boost. So I’d like a local to me (nyc) muffler shop to put something in. Problem is most ny area muffler shops are not really to be trusted. Anyone know of one that they like?

I just got 2 complete Turbo exhaust systems from QuickSilver Exhausts in England and so far I'm impressed.  They make a complete system from the turbo all the way back in stainless.  I have a customer that was in need of a complete system, his was a exhaust shop kluge system from many years go and it was the 1st thing that hit the trash bin.  They make both an offset outlet for the early cars as well as a center exit for the later cars.  I just got it installed and this is on a fresh engine so I have just started it up but have not done any tuning or break in yet.  I'll let you know what I think once I can get it under load.  So far just at idle it is louder

The fit is good and hopefully it will perform well on the dyno.   

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Although I have not installed them yet I did purchase a resonator and muffler for my Turbo from BMW. Either they went NLA since or they gave me the wrong parts. Did you check on realoem for part numbers and then check with your dealer? 

• 1 month later...

I just finished a car with a fresh engine and a complete exhaust system ( downpipe, center resonator and rear muffler) from Quicksilver and I’m impressed with the fit and finish. It sounds great, just a bit louder than a stock system but no droning.  You can buy each section individually and it looks like they are compatible so you can mix them with stock parts.  They make the rear mufflers in both the offset outlets for the early cars as well as the center outlet for the later cars. They are stainless steel and should last quite well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

SuperSprint also makes a system for the Turbo.  It only has a rear muffler, though and no resonator.

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/supersprint-performance-sport-exhaust-bmw-series-02-2002-turbo.aspx

Would be interested in approximate cost of a system from Quicksilver, as they do look nice.

Edited by wkohler

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

I got a bit of a discount because I purchased 2 complete systems plus a rear muffler all at once.  With shipping and duty a complete system should cost you about $1800us. They were a bit backed up on production because of the pandemic lock down and it took them about 6 weeks to get them to me. They don’t keep a lot in stock and make them as needed. They might have made an extra while they were doing my order but you will have to ask.  

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the complete Quicksilver exhaust system for the Turbo.  This is for the early cars with the offset outlet.  They also make the rear muffler with the center outlet (same price).  I am happy with the fit and quality, it would have been a bit nicer if they had used a mandrel bender on the tighter bends but I'm sure it does not make a performance difference on a stock turbo.  It is a few db louder than the stock system especially at idle, does not drone on the road. The complete system is about 10 lbs lighter than the stock BMW system.   

Quicksilver Exhaust.jpg

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC