Mucci

3.46 LSD with 4-speed?

12 posts / 271 viewsLast Reply

I'm curious if anyone's running a 3.46 LSD with the 4 speed and how they like it. My main concern is if the car feels significantly less peppy down low. 

Asking because I could pick up an E36 318ti 3.46 LSD locally for pretty cheap and do the "guts swap".

Question 2: Can I mate the stock 02 3.64 ring gear to the E36 LSD internals to keep the same gearing?

(edited)

I can't answer your questions but I can say I'm running a 3.45 LSD with a 5-speed and absolutely love it. But if the 4-speed has a taller 1st gear which I think it does it would be quite slower off the line (mine is compared to the 3.65 diff that was stock) but it makes the 5-speed 1st gear more useful IMO as you can sit on that gear more than you could previously. And of course the highway cruising is much improved.

Edited by fastricky
  • Like 1

The 2002 turbo ran a 3.36:1 LSD with a 4sp or CR5sp. 

21 minutes ago, dlacey said:

The 2002 turbo ran a 3.36:1 LSD with a 4sp or CR5sp. 

...but has the power to make up for it. I’m still rocking the 99 ponies 😁

4 and 5 speeds have (essentially) the same 1st thru 4th, and the 5th adds a .8 od.

A 3.46 would be ok with a 4 speed.  The down side is that the 2-3 gap gets even bigger.

First is so low that it'll be ok, and second, likewise.

The up side is that 3rd is a bit more useful on the freeway, and 4th will drop the revs to 3500 at 70.

t

has a 3.46 in the ti.

• Like 1

The 3.45 differential — I’m just distinguishing the ‘02’s 3.45 from the E36’s 3.46 — only went into tii’s from the factory, so 130 hp, more or less. I think the 3.45, or 3.46 E36 differential, is going to be... less than ideal with 99 hp and a 4-speed. Unless your driving is mostly highway, and high speed, in which case you might enjoy the low revs.

My opinion.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

(edited)

I do have plans to hop her up a bit. I'm putting together an Ansa sport header-back system mated to long tube headers. It's also got electronic ignition and a Weber 32/36 on it. Just maybe that'll put me into triple digits!

I'll be moving to Santa Cruz soon so I'd say most of my driving will be tight and twisty with the city being surrounded by mountains. 

So, back to my 2nd question; can I swap the 02 ring gear onto the E36 LSD guts?

Edited by Mucci

Living in SoCal a 3.64/4 speed meant I was passed like a tree on the freeway, unless you want to drive at a High RPM slowly it may not be such a good solution. 

the 3.64/stock M10 is noticeably slower around town compared to a 3.91

As another option I would suggest a 242-5 speed for much less money than a 245, just add a GPS speedo for $49.00  

5 Speed Kit.JPG

79241290_2592955697449664_3047752400044556288_o.jpg

5 Speed conversion (12).JPG

So, back to my 2nd question; can I swap the 02 ring gear onto the E36 LSD guts?

Yes, the ring gear will fit onto the e36 lsd center section.

That assembly will, however, probably NOT fit into a 2002 case-  you'll have

to 'clearance' it by grinding, or use a later 320i case.  Which will be significantly easier to set up.

Search out AceAndrew's 'ultimate lsd guide' which pretty much covers it all.

You'll have to swap the pinion as well, of course, and set up the gearset.

Take the shims that come with the CASE for the side covers, and the shims that

come with the PINION for the pinion depth.  That seems to give you the best starting point.

t

Would certainly run a 3.46 on the street with a 4- speed.  But might then boost it.

• Like 1

Maybe the 3.46 with and add sync link if you are running a Weber 32/36? 

Not sure if that would compensate, but might be a fun experiment to give you a little more low end grunt. 

But this is me being an Italian Redneck. Others here are wiser. 

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

Yes, the ring gear will fit onto the e36 lsd center section.

That assembly will, however, probably NOT fit into a 2002 case-  you'll have

to 'clearance' it by grinding, or use a later 320i case.  Which will be significantly easier to set up.

Search out AceAndrew's 'ultimate lsd guide' which pretty much covers it all.

You'll have to swap the pinion as well, of course, and set up the gearset.

Take the shims that come with the CASE for the side covers, and the shims that

come with the PINION for the pinion depth.  That seems to give you the best starting point.

t

Would certainly run a 3.46 on the street with a 4- speed.  But might then boost it.

I read Andrew's LSD build and he uses the E36 318ti guts into an E21 case. I'm a metalworker so I'm fine with needing to clearance a bit if needed. I can pick up an E36 318 LSD for 1/3 the price of an E21 diff at this point so I feel like it's worth it.

Down the line I'd like to build a turbo kit for it as well...but boy is there a lot to do before then.