• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 2002tii WIW

A newbie here looking for some value advice.

72 2002tii

Fjord

sunroof

90,000 miles

owner bought it in 75 and parked it in 90

never apart or modified (haven't checked the block but would be surprised if it's not original)

many paint repairs evident and currently looks a VW harlequin car

runs and rolls freely

straight clean bumpers and trim

steel wheels

records from new 

tool roll in trunk

no previous damage but sadly the tin worm has had it's way with the car...fenders, rockers, quarters

I've not made a list but factory parts to restore it were purchased in the 80's including

exhaust (possibly two systems)

fenders

doors

rockers

injection parts

some weather stripping 

etc

Is it worth more in parts or as a project?

Thanks in advance!

Look under the car closely, cars with surface rust often time have rust in harder to fix places. The car sounds nice if you can handle the rust get some pictures up and many will offer their opinion.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Photos!

E.g., rear wheel wells, as viewed from the trunk, the passenger compartment, and underneath; bases of A pillars; floors.

Hey, it’s a ‘72 sunroof tii in a great color. Other than specialty sub-models like turbos, ti’s, cabriolets, etc., that’s the holy grail! So the threshold for a “restorable” example is quite low, and considerably lower today than it might have been ten years ago, when tii values were lower.

On the other hand, some desperately-rusty examples just can’t find a restoration-minded caretaker. So let’s see what you’re looking at.

Shown below: a potential tii parts car.

Regards,

Steve

8708B2A1-B474-43AF-827E-8121CE555E50.jpeg

8C17A933-40CB-4820-9BCB-45A0ABD1AECB.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Body side moldings are with the car

engine bay seems unmolested with original style clamps I believe

dash has cracks but seats are surprisingly great shape, I peeled off the drivers side base and that upholstery wears like iron, reminds me of my 67 Shelby interior

Perimeter of hood at front is corroded through.....sadly no NOS hood

windshield has no cracks or bullseyes

It's a serious project but complete, unmolested and not something I want to tackle

I know in the other cars I collect that the brain trust on the forums is incredible which is why I came here for some opinions after seeing some comments on Bring a Trailer.

Parts car or sell complete on a venue like Bring a Trailer. 

Is it 5K, 10K?

Thanks for your insights!

Nice Spec, very original...but the glimpses of rust in the front fenders, rockers and rear shock towers indicate that this is a major project.

Still its worth more as a complete car than it is as parts.

Bargain at 4K, Good Project at 8K, Wince at 12K  (pre-covid economy)

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

4 hours ago, dlacey said:

Nice Spec, very original...but the glimpses of rust in the front fenders, rockers and rear shock towers indicate that this is a major project.

Still its worth more as a complete car than it is as parts.

Bargain at 4K, Good Project at 8K, Wince at 12K  (pre-covid economy)

What Dave ^ said! Not a parts car: just an ambitious project!

In the ‘72 tii arena, “matching numbers” actually matters. I say this because there is a mis-match between the engine’s aluminum intake runners and the lack of a “firewall notch” to accommodate timing (?) tii’s with aluminum intake runners. The aluminum intake runners did not appear until VIN 2761944, so if this car has a VIN from 2760001 through 2761943, the runners, or possibly the engine, were changed. A few cars may have left the factory with aluminum intake runners and no notch, but those are probably quite rare, certainly rarer than plastic runner cars with notches (generally within VIN’s 2762300 to 2762373). In short, check the engine number — it’s buried under that #4 intake runner, on a flat boss above the tail of the starter. A matching-engine number will enhance the value of this car and broaden the band of buyers willing to take on this project.

Share the VIN with us, so this car can go in the Registry. BMW Group Archives will confirm the exact build date, date of transfer to Hoffman Motors Corp (the NYC-domiciled importer until ca. 1975), and the factory color (obviously Fjord metallic). Just email the VIN to them and request the car’s data:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

A copy of Archives’ emailed response will also put buyers at ease, particularly those less familiar with the tii VIN’s.

(The steel rims currently on the car and in the trunk are from a square taillight car, manufactured 9/73 and later.)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

IMG_2105.jpgThanks for the help......I had a quick look and didn't see the engine # but will attempt at getting a pic....thanks for the location Steve......and thanks for the heads up on the wheels (that is the sort of information I was looking for). 

IMG_2095.jpgIMG_2081.jpgIMG_2088.jpg

Here are some of the bits that have been collected over the years

IMG_2103.jpgIMG_2082.jpgIMG_2091.jpgIMG_2092.jpgIMG_2087.jpgIMG_2089.jpgIMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

The orange parts stickers were phased out some time in the 1980’s, so those items are truly NOS. A large batch of parts I purchased in 1983 had them, so the phase-out was after 1983. Because BMW has actually continued to produce a large number of ‘02 parts, lots of parts identified and advertised today as NOS might be 10 years old, 5 years old, 1 year old, or even brand new.

Over the course of these 50 years, quality of replacement parts has waxed and waned. And BMW has slowly moved towards an interpretation of a replacement part as “suitable to fulfill the purpose of the original part” rather than “duplicate of the original part”. Thus, BMW will sell you a square windshield washer reservoir that has greater capacity than the original round reservoir, and will not start leaking within two years like the original, but it is of a design that post-dates the end of ‘02 production.

Despite my general disdain for these modern interpretations of the original parts, I am not saying that 1970’s parts were perfect. Far from it. We complained about the fit of OEM replacement fenders from the 1970’s. And every rear axle boot I bought, 1975-1976, for my ‘67 1600-2, had the same molding defect that doomed it to fail in 8,000 miles or less. Still, I’d much rather take my chances with these early parts.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1