• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine 1660001

kbobwhite

Price: $1

Description:

I'm contemplating parting with engine 1660001 to help fund a build project on an 1802. I have not set a price as I honestly do not know what its worth to someone who might be looking for an early serial# engine. It is not currently running but it turns great, the oil, and coolant both looked to be in good shape when drained. (green coolant, dirty oil but no signs of water)

I did perform a compression test and( albeit cold) and all 4 cyl held excellent compression.all in the 160 range and within 25 psi of each other. I will be happy to pull the head and oil pan for pictures if anybody is truly interested in the engine. Please let me know if posting here without an asking price is inappropriate and I will gladly remove the post.

According to BMW Archive 1660001 was the first 2002 manufactured globally and the only on manufactured in Nov 1967.

Cheers,

Kevin

Cheers,

Kevin

Further discussion of 1660001 and the engine:

This would be great in an early 2002, like that tidy Polaris '68 (manufactured February 1968, according to the seller) languishing on the market — for months, and months — with a 1971 engine! 

GLWS,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Kevin, a suggestion:  donate the engine to the BMW CCA Foundation's museum.  They'd be tickled to have it and it would go on display with your name as donor.  It really does belong in a museum and that's the place for it.  

If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the Foundation director.

Mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Kevin,

I'm a 68 2002 owner (1661250) and given the significance of 166001 - I would really love to see this engine restored and on display at the BMW CCA Foundation Museum in SC.   If you were to consider donating, I believe your gift would receive tax benefit.  Understanding that your primary goal is to raise funds for a project car (we've all been there!) I'd imagine that a group of passionate history loving BMW folks would be willing to chip in on this.  If one of the great BMW Foundation sponsors (Werkshop, IL/ Classic BMW, TX) could get in on the fun, perhaps they could sponsor the restoration?   Imagine how cool it would be for visitors to see this engine on a stand with accompanying press information and hear it run on a test stand!!     Please consider this path.   

-=Ben in Indy

• Like 1

--> 1968 2002 <--

I like the museum idea, it’s just the doing another engine idea it makes me cringe. LOL I don’t have a ton of spare funds for my build as it is. :)  maybe crowdsourcing would be an option? If it’s going to a museum it’s not like I would care to make a big profit off of it or anything. Just like to get my money back

Cheers,

Kevin

I would totally chip in to ensure that you get your dough back, but also to see this go to the Foundation. The PHH carbs you have on it are probably not original to it though, so you could probably make some extra $ by selling those separately.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167