• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First 2002 - Brag Rag

I bought a '76 Fjord Blue on Saturday. 10 yr old ground up rebuild. Pretty much everything was redone. (cleaned painted Metric Mechanics Rally 2400, 5 spd conversion, E21 Recaros, Vintage Air, IE Stage II, etc. Grey Alcantara with Vinyl trim. I'm sure your keen eyes will quickly see many more details. And, yes, the exterior trim and bumpers are painted a more matte color vs. being chromed and/or plain aluminum.

Was a father and son project done up in Dallas. Serious guys, had a lift in garage, etc. I  Have about 1,100 photos of the project and binders of receipts. They bought a car that was painted to order (was Granada or Verona?), with an engine block and transmission, then started from there. It was then purchased by a couple in Houston, she drove it on her short commute the past 5 years. 

Much of it is what I'd do or want to do - goosed engine (claimed 170hp), 5 spd., exterior color, full redo of every piece, etc. Probably wouldn't have gone with this aggressive of a suspension tune, but it sure handles well. I decided to go with a square tail and restomod for power and solidity. Thought long and hard about a roundie. But, hey, There is still time! Then again, a carbon copy of my Dad's Fjord Blue E3 is in my mind ("Joey it's a 3.0s, not your basic Bavaria."). Big and little Fjord Blues would be kinda' cool, don't you think?

Known issues - running hot when at speed and with A/C on, some window regulator issues, interior fabric/trim issues and 2 lower door rust bubbles. It's been outside in Houston on and off  for 5 years. But, did take to body shop to confirm good paint job work and no bigger rust issues. Rust bubbles due to driver window not going up all the way and PO not doing anything about it for a few years, water getting down in there (my guess). Taking it to Terry Sayther this afternoon for a once over and to look at heat issues, check tune, etc.

Here are 5 crappy pics I just took and 6 select older photos showing a bit of the build process. All compliments and criticisms welcome. I just like the attention.

Cheers, 

Joey

75618E6B-C96A-4322-8A88-B4AC524DFCDB_1_105_c.jpeg

A8853ABD-3A82-4FF4-BF12-14CCDA282818_1_105_c.jpeg

E476314C-9185-4FF3-9995-B4EB008AE34C_1_105_c.jpeg

3454C4D0-30FF-4977-884E-E9BADA09DAB4_1_105_c.jpeg

7B62D596-BDB6-44D9-909D-30B6B92ABB14_1_105_c.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpg

5D45BD19-3328-4537-A6C9-05C774DB2570.jpeg

IMG_4519 - Copy.jpg

97BDD603-AAD5-4BCE-9A9D-0AF469AC2988.jpeg

6387FE3A-8B3F-498A-9C91-9479C3F8FF22.jpeg

IMG_5325 - Copy.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like serious fun!

Glad to see another Austin-ite here, once the cars and coffees fires up then looking forward to seeing it...

Thank you for posting.

Jason

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Very nice!  Welcome to the insanity, as we say.  Good to talk to you off line and hope to see this car in person very soon.

Ed Z

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Love it when we add another 02 to the Austin area.  That’s two 02s in the last two weeks!  Look forward to meeting you and seeing (and hearing) your 02.  

Ed forwarded me your contact info so I can add it to my ATX 02 contacts.  I’ll get you added and make sure you get our monthly 02 and Vintage BMW Cars & Coffee meet up.

A few pics from past events.

Greg

78CC9418-24F9-4455-BD23-E3823DFD34FE.jpeg

83071367-FA8C-4BE3-AFCB-5643C6EEBE10.jpeg

6774B179-0415-44FC-AF05-494103CE7B3A.jpeg

• Like 2

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority!  Nice looking car: that's about the sturdiest front suspension brace I've ever seen!  Did the builders steal it from a bridge?

WRT the window regulator problem--if the window isn't rolling up all the way, that's a relatively simple adjustment to the stops on the mechanism inside the door.  If there's lots of play in the regulator (you turn the handle 3/4 or more turn before the window starts moving) that's the sign of a regulator about to fail.  If you want to save yourself some $$ and repair the regulator yourself, drop me a PM and I'll send you a column I did on the subject. 

Love those Vintage Air outlets, replacing the original heater controls, but where are they now?  

One suggestion:  find yourself a pair of original door armrests and install 'em.  Black ones will go with the dash.  You'll wish for 'em on a long trip (like to Mid America) and without 'em you (and your passenger) will be tempted to pull the door closed with the inside door handle, a sure recipe for breaking it.  I know there's a grab handle installed, but it's not nearly as convenient.  

Anyway, you'll have fun with it, and Austin is a hotbed of 2002 activity.  

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

@mike - Thanks. I'm going to talk to him about some other things I need (shift boot, rear belts, a tiny rubber piece, BBS center cap).

Brace - Yes. Have seen one like it. Thinking custom fab. 

Windows - I'll pull the panel and look. I think you are right and it's just an adjustment. Passenger side also has issues (think it's loose in the rail). Quarter windows almost close. I'm guessing just an adjustment. None of them have play or wiggle. Seem good.

Vintage Air - Look near at the bottom of the console in the pic. 4 knobs. Fan/Flow/Heat/Cool. One problem, there is no way I can find to just have airflow. It's heat or A/C, no in between. Thought I was missing something and read the Vintage Air Manual and it confirmed my experience. I'm going to call them and see what they say.

Door handle/panel - I did not like the look in the photos. After seeing them in person and driving it, I like them more. Sporty like the mechanical set-up. And, I use the windowsill as an armrest. However, I'm going to spend some time and think about what to do. I lean towards more of a stock look.

Options. 1. Go with stock black armrest and leave all else (but have to do something about holes where handle is. 2. Have armrest done in grey vinyl like seat trim and leave rest as is. 3. Redo door to look to like stock, but use grey vinyl to match seat trim (have armrest colored to match). Do rear set panel same. A bit more $$. 4. Redo entire interior in tan/beige or saddle in a stock look (except keep Recaros). But, a bit over the top since everything but a little wear on the driver's seat is in good shape. 

I do have original fabric sample, vendor, and all that so I can get more of material if it's still being made, so likely do something staying grey. #3 is most likely scenario.

I don't think I'll be doing long drives. Much over 100 miles and it'll probably be on a trailer. Just 'cause. Driving from Houston Heights to Austin via a downtown Houston, IAH, a detour due to a flipped and burning semi across 290 and running the heater due to high temps at speed in 95 deg heat took it out of me. 

Driving around on 2222 (for you Austinies) and near 2244 yesterday morning - much for satisfying. Ran it hard and no overheating...

Okay - off to Terry Sayther's...

• Like 2

I’ll let you know when we do a run down 1431 and Cow Creek.  Ed, Barney, Mike and I all live in Cedar Park / Leander and enjoy that route.  

ADF36B0E-6C29-40EB-83BF-3160BB3FFB86.jpeg

Edited by Greg R aka Big_Lebowski
Remove picture
  • Like 1

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

Nice find! 

Those "issues/problems" are soooooooo few and sooooooo minor compared to the overall state of the car and will be knocked out in no time at all.  You might want to check your tower bracing...you sure it's sufficiently beefy?

Welcome to the group.

Larry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

Nice find! 

Those "issues/problems" are soooooooo few and sooooooo minor compared to the overall state of the car and will be knocked out in no time at all.  You might want to check your tower bracing...you sure it's sufficiently beefy?

Welcome to the group.

Larry

Yeah, these are mostly good problems to have (e.g., to Alcantara or not Alcantara). 

It’s so stiff, it’s a little uncanny.

11 hours ago, Greg R aka Big_Lebowski said:

I’ll let you know when we do a run down 1431 and Cow Creek.  Ed, Barney, Mike and I all live in Cedar Park / Leander and enjoy that route.  

Had to look it up, but looks cool. 

First, thanks again to all for the warm welcome and info (especially to the locals). 

Need tires for the 14" BBS - has 195/60 r14, which seems standard. What's odd is the speedometer is running low -says it's going slower than it is when I compare to GPS (10%+). Makes me think they were running larger tires at some point and had speedo calibrated.

So, two questions.

1. Does anyone run 65's? Would enhance comfort, but with my suspension set-up might "fold in 1/2".

2. Any tires you're liking right now? Not as much choice in this range at my usual Discount Tire. A few other choices at Tire Rack, but not that interesting. Would prefer a summer tire unless we're expecting snow...

For Austin area locals, any sources you recommend?

Thanks,

Joey

Jason, I haven’t decided yet on having our June ATX C&C.  Sounds like there is some interest so perhaps we go ahead with it.  Definitely long over due after missing the last two due to virus issue.