• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5 Replacement for Summer/Winter Air Intake Box

Dick R

When I acquired my 71 2002, the air intake regulator housing was missing.   When I found out that they were available for around $150, I figured that I could easily do without one – especially since living in coastal Southern California pretty much negates the need for the “winter” setting.   But there was that unused snorkel  - a constant reminder of an untapped cool intake air source. So I went to one of my favorite BMW parts stores (A.K.A. Home Depot).   Armed with some digital calipers, the snorkel dimensions, and an OE rubber boot I had acquired, I studied the plumbing fixtures for quite some time for inspiration.  What I ended up with was:

A 2-inch, ABS, 90 degree street elbow drain fitting that takes the place of the box.   Part number C5807-2.  

A 1.25-inch PVC, 45 degree elbow.  Part number C417-012. This white plastic fitting was the only thing I found that fit the boot and the black plastic elbow like it was made for that purpose.  I had to cut one of the legs off, so that’s why there’s a bias cut under the boot end.  I glued that into the black plastic elbow. 

I made 4 saw cuts in the black plastic piece that attaches to the snorkel so that I could clamp it securely.  I first used a typical hose clamp, but then replaced it with a fancy-schmancy black Allen bolt clamp.

These two plastic fittings set me back a total of $4.53.  Heck of a lot better than $150. 

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

• Like 9

Nice!

But what do you do in the winter???

Encinitas, CA

oh, right....

t

could get used to eternal summers...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

59 minutes ago, Harvanj said:

Nice, is the black flexible hose stock BMW for the specific air filter box. If no, what is the source?

Yes, it's the BMW stock hose. A portion of the part # is seen near where it meets the filter housing.

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Stock BMW part number.  According to RealOEM, the part number is 13731258983.  I think the same boot fits fits both single barrel and two barrel air cleaners.  It is currently available from multiple sources - even Amazon and that one is made by URO.

4 hours ago, Dick R said:

I think the same boot fits fits both single barrel and two barrel air cleaners. 

At least back when they were new, the one and two barrel boots were different.  The two barrel boot is much more flexible--enough so that I had to tilt the nipple on the air intake box upward (not parallel to the ground) to keep the boot from being nibbled on by the fan when it got warm.  That never happened with the much stiffer boot on the 1 barrel setup.

And BTW that's not the only use for a street ell: I used a smaller one to make a housing for my VDO oil pressure gauge to mount to the left of the instrument binnacle where the emergency flasher switch used to be.  It's now banished to a little bracket at the dash's bottom edge. 

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 year later...