• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on installing Ireland Eng. Late Shifter Refresh Kit?

GDI

I just received this kit for my 1974 tii and I am thinking through the process to install it.   I'd appreciate any tips or watch outs.  

To get started, do I just need to unbolt the guibo from the transmission (leaving the drive shaft bots installed) to allow the drive shaft to drop mostly out of the way?   Am I correct in this, or will I need to totally remove the drive shaft to get reasonable access to the shifter parts?  

Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks

I've done the deed (and even replaced the shift tower mounts) without unbolting the driveshaft, but to do that you'll need to get the car reasonably high up off the ground to reach around the driveshaft--and even then it's tight.  You may want to try that method first; if it doesn't work, then you can unbolt the guibo with a clear conscience.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, mike said:

I've done the deed (and even replaced the shift tower mounts) without unbolting the driveshaft, but to do that you'll need to get the car reasonably high up off the ground to reach around the driveshaft--and even then it's tight.  You may want to try that method first; if it doesn't work, then you can unbolt the guibo with a clear conscience.

mike

Many thanks, Mike !  I am hoping that unbolting the guiro will allow enough clearance to move around in there. It looks pretty tight in there.  

I too did on shifter rebuild without disconnecting the driveshaft, but I will admit, I was NOT able to get the selector rod joint off during this endeavor.  I just plain couldn't pry that locking clip off to get the pin out.  I eventually gave up, left the old joint on there, and just swapped out the rest of the parts e.g. mounts, shift cups, and the yellow shim rings.  I think all of these account for more slop elimination than that join anyway, and was always happy with how the job turned out, but did want to mention my one failure in trying to do that with the driveshaft in the way!

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:12 PM, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I too did on shifter rebuild without disconnecting the driveshaft, but I will admit, I was NOT able to get the selector rod joint off during this endeavor.  I just plain couldn't pry that locking clip off to get the pin out.  I eventually gave up, left the old joint on there, and just swapped out the rest of the parts e.g. mounts, shift cups, and the yellow shim rings.  I think all of these account for more slop elimination than that join anyway, and was always happy with how the job turned out, but did want to mention my one failure in trying to do that with the driveshaft in the way!

Well, I got under the car this afternoon and I can understand why you couldn't get to everything!  

So, just so I am sure about this - can I unbolt the guibo from the trans and just let the driveshaft hang there, or do I need to worry about stress or alignment, etc. on the driveshaft?  I realize I may have to drop part of the exhaust too, but I'll try to avoid that. 

Thanks for all the advice!

Just to be clear, by removing the nuts from the guibo, it will not let the driveshaft just fall away. You have to remove the center support nuts first, then the guibo nuts. Understand that in most cases, the rubber guibo will expand once you take the driveshaft off so you will either need to replace the guibo or get a large enough band clamp to compress the guibo so you can get the bolts to line up with the flanges. Once you disconnect the drive shaft, you can support the rear of the trans with a floor jack(if you're working on the ground) and remove the rear trans crossmember nuts to let the rear of the trans drop a few inches to gain a little more working room. With this done, you can reach the knuckle pretty easily, along with the 8mm allen bolts up front.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

Just to be clear, by removing the nuts from the guibo, it will not let the driveshaft just fall away. You have to remove the center support nuts first, then the guibo nuts. Understand that in most cases, the rubber guibo will expand once you take the driveshaft off so you will either need to replace the guibo or get a large enough band clamp to compress the guibo so you can get the bolts to line up with the flanges. Once you disconnect the drive shaft, you can support the rear of the trans with a floor jack(if you're working on the ground) and remove the rear trans crossmember nuts to let the rear of the trans drop a few inches to gain a little more working room. With this done, you can reach the knuckle pretty easily, along with the 8mm allen bolts up front.

Wow, thanks I assumed the guibo was a piece of cake!  I need to take another look...

Honestly it’s not that hard, but the first time doing it can be daunting. Trust me when I say to have a replacement guibo ready before taking anything apart. It will save you from getting really frustrated when you put it all back together. Don’t forget to take the metal band off the new guibo after installing it too. 

• Thanks 1

I was thinking that buying a new guibo was a good idea, thanks! 

I guess I'll order one and get on this next weekend.  

Edited by GDI

Careful... you're  in danger of falling down the "scope creep" rabbit hole.

Check out your guibo for cracks, stringy stuff hanging out. inspect your center bearing rubber support for cracks and settling.

Is  there currently any clunking, shuddering, creaking or clicking when driving/taking off from a stop? Any vibration?

If the answer is no, dont mess with your driveshaft! 

You can do it without having to disconnect guibo and center bearing. Check the mounting bolts for the guibo and center bearing and ensure they are not loose.

Also, the majority of wear/slop is because of bushing wear in two components: forward shift rod joint and lower shift lever ( 25 11 1 205 870 ) Only one of these is supplied with the kit. replacing just one may not give you the results you hope for.

Replacement bushings for the shift lever are NA. Have to buy  new one  or modify and install generic bronze bushings.

Good luck.?

7D4DE401-8357-4468-9579-962BC8179BAC.png

C9809710-92F5-4059-BF2A-AE843EFB3CB3_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by tech71
  • Thanks 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

FWIW I have removed and reinstalled the same giubo several times in the last couple years... Pick up a large hose clamp from the hardware store and you can compress the giubo down easily to reinstall. [as mentioned above]

I should have rebuilt my shifter when I had my trans out. I am regretting now that I didn't. So I am about to do mine as well. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

• Thanks 1

'74 Verona

Thanks all.  

I am making progress - But I am stuck at the forward shift rod joint..  I got the retaining clip off, but I can’t get the pin to budge! Any tips there, should I pull back on it , push it forward, or...  

I am really trying not to drop the drive shaft, I have not clunking or vibration, so if I can we’ll enough alone I will. 

It may be under a little tension, there's a little spongy plug inside the shift rod joint that does that.

With the shift rod attached, press forward and try to push the pin out with a tool like the one pictured or anything that works.

Thats how mine came out. Almost there.?

IMG_1848.JPG

• Thanks 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

12 hours ago, tech71 said:

It may be under a little tension, there's a little spongy plug inside the shift rod joint that does that.

With the shift rod attached, press forward and try to push the pin out with a tool like the one pictured or anything that works.

Thats how mine came out. Almost there.?

IMG_1848.JPG

Great idea - I think I have some brake tool like that squirreled away somewhere.  Thanks!

Well, I finally gave up on getting that dowel out of the forward shift rod joint!  I am going to refresh everything else and see how it goes. 

A note about the Ireland rebuild kit  - they send the wrong size allen head bolts to bolt the shift platform to the transmission housing!  They are too small, so I used the old, still good bolts.  So I am not going to be able to use the shift rod joint or those two bolts. 

I did get everything else under the car ready, but I pulled the stickshift apart and found that the cap washer was torn and someone had packed black gooey crap between the upper and lower shifter sections - what a mess the clean.  Anyway I now have an order in to Maximillian for a new lower shifter and all the innards. Hopefully the parts come soon, I am anxious to try out the new shifting situation.

I will say that just the new parts on the shift plate have significantly tighten things up already. That unsed shiftrod oint is going to irratate me for a while, but if it looks like I have to have it, then I i'll drop the drive shaft and hopefully get it out then - my fingers are crossed...