• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doug

Dougie

Use some kind of o-ring friendly grease to hold it in place while turning it back into the groove on the tank.  You probably also need to replace the sleeve on the sending unit outlet tube.  I send these to everyone with gaseous rear ends.  PM me for more info.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

There was a comprehensive thread on this subject about a week ago that covers the whole fuel system and where it leaks. As Halboyles said always grease o rings every where, in the few if any places they are to be installed dry it will be well noted.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

And be sure and use the factory o-ring vs one from your local hardware store.  The genuine article is a type of rubber that swells when exposed to gas, thus creating a tight seal.  I've used silicone grease on my sender unit with great success.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

17 hours ago, halboyles said:

Use some kind of o-ring friendly grease to hold it in place while turning it back into the groove on the tank.  You probably also need to replace the sleeve on the sending unit outlet tube.  I send these to everyone with gaseous rear ends.  PM me for more info.

I am new to this website so don’t know how to pm someone. Can you help?

15 hours ago, halboyles said:

Hover your pointer over the image of the user as below.

PM Pop Up Window.png

And.... I’d suggest a more descriptive title than your name. This thread’s title, for instance, might be something like “Fuel Sending Unit O-Ring”. This might both attract more interest and make the title more useful for searches.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)