MattL

Needle Pilot Bearing - Differing Lengths

6 posts / 232 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I'm replacing my pilot bearing in the process of the (very deliberate) 5-speed swap on my '76. I took the old one out with the bread trick, which was very cool. But it's shorter than the replacement. Same diameter, but quite a bit shorter. That's okay, right? RIGHT?

WixnyOKXoQxcr8K8nmg8tksYRsXfUgyDYcCEQ8lC

Edited by MattL

Check the bore depth in the end of the crankshaft. More than likely it is even deeper than the new bearing. You should have no issues.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Mike. Will do. 

On the new bearing, one end is tapered (bottom in the pic above). Do you know whether that should face the crank or the transmission?

On 5/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, MattL said:

I took the old one out with the bread trick, which was very cool.

I LOVE the bread trick!  I must have jammed (wah!) 6 slices in that little hole before the bearing came out.

• Like 1

Measure it all out first, there was some issues with some of the pilot brgs being the wrong diameters    There is plenty of room to install this one,  beveled end goes towards engine to help get it started   Longer one is better, gives more support to the trans input shaft

• Thanks 1

Thanks! My cheesy Harbor Freight slide caliper shows both bearings at a hair under 21mm, but I’ll take it easy just in case.