• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Issue with new fuel sender. Am I doing something dum?

sam1904

As you can see from the pictures my old fuel sender had an issue in that the weld was broken. It would work intermittently but obviously not well. 

I dropped in a new sender tonight from Ireland engineering. It has three connections and not two but I just used the two on the plastic insulator.

The gauge is absolutely dead. 

If I just plug back into the old sensor and tip backwards and forwards the gauge works. Is the new center a dud or is there some trick to grounding the unit or something similar I need to do? 

I googled and checked all posts that popped up but could not find the answer! 
Thanks in advance, 
Sam

2A8FC87A-FF90-4976-898A-92EFF3C9A665.jpeg

E1197D77-3CF5-4DF8-A433-95E8A52637E6.jpeg

Edited by sam1904
Error

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

The brown wire is earth (like dirt) or ground.  Connect it to the spade that is rivited to the case.  You will have to determine which tab the signal wire to the gauge gets connected to.  On is a reserve light the other is to the gauge.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

6 hours ago, Henning said:

Aluminum and steel weld to each other??

h

No. Probably not. 

Doesn't look like a friction weld because it is not continuous - likely brazed??

D6C97925-AF63-4BE0-8920-283B7F1765FF.jpeg

Niether.

The tube should have tabs that locate in the top.

Many times when removing from the tank, the tube spins and bends the tab allowing the tube to become loose.

You can take needle nose pliers to bend it back, then center the tube before tightening the nut on the bottom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Uh.... Did ya remove the little wire clip in the cylinder that locks the float in place for shipping? 

That'd be something dumb that I promise I never did.

Ever.

Except that one time I did. 

On the one I got it was a pin and not a clip and yes I did remove it ? it is the type of thing I would do though!

The sender is now working well. As it appears my old one would've been if I had aligned  the tabs and tightened the nut!

• Like 2