• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At a fork in the road (following console reupholstering)

When I first got my 02, it had a modern stereo and four speakers installed in it (One in each door and two on the rear glass shelf). I didn’t mind it at the time, probably because I didn’t know any better.  At one point in time since then, I purchased a rebuilt Blaupunkt Munster radio (70s era) with the mindset of replacing the modern stereo with it down the road.

Fast forward to today, and I just had the console panels reupholstered, hoping move on from all the screw holes I inflicted along the way. I plan on puncturing the new vinyl when mounting the ashtray, but I am very hesitant on committing to installing/puncturing mounts for either radio. Since I already have speaker holes carved into my door cards, I would prefer to make use of them, but the Blaupunkt won’t support that much wattage on its own without an amp (four speakers with mono output?) or by ripping the guts out of it ($$$). I’ve considered removing the rear shelf speakers and just going with the two in the doors, but then there’s still the wattage issue.
Among the compounded experience on this site, has anyone come up with a clever solution to meeting in the middle? Or had a similar situation?

Scott

I had four (admittedly small) coax speakers running off my Blaupunkt stereo radio (early 70s vintage, I forget which model).  The front speakers were 5 1/4" coaxes, surface mounted on the side cowl panels under the dash, and the rear speakers were 4x6" coaxes, surface mounted on the package shelf.  I replaced the Blaupunkt with an Alpine AM/FM/Cassette in 1987, still not a lot of watts on the output side, and didn't notice any difference in performance between the two radios.  Besides, a 2002 is noisy enough at speed to drown out any distortion...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Had a similar choice. I had the vintage blaupunkt that came with the car  with a mono speaker that goes below it in the console. Acceptable for NPR only. Some costly options to make the blaupukt better but I settled on keeping it as is and installed a marine bluetooth amplifier below somewhere up under the dash behind to console out of view. Connects to your phone via bluetooth or mp3 player via RCA jack for music etc. I drive two parcel shelf speakers with that.

The marine pyle unit could drive your 4 existing speakers and as far as the vintage unit, I dunno, install it as a dummy or forget/sell it and keep your nice clean console.

Pyle PLMRMB4CW - Marine Amplifier Kit, 4-Ch. Waterproof Audio Power Amp System

Edited by aaron7302
  • Like 1

Aaron

1972 2002

you can also hide an amp under your back seats

• Like 1

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

On 5/16/2020 at 11:48 PM, aaron7302 said:

Had a similar choice. I had the vintage blaupunkt that came with the car  with a mono speaker that goes below it in the console. Acceptable for NPR only. Some costly options to make the blaupukt better but I settled on keeping it as is and installed a marine bluetooth amplifier below somewhere up under the dash behind to console out of view. Connects to your phone via bluetooth or mp3 player via RCA jack for music etc. I drive two parcel shelf speakers with that.

The marine pyle unit could drive your 4 existing speakers and as far as the vintage unit, I dunno, install it as a dummy or forget/sell it and keep your nice clean console.

Pyle PLMRMB4CW - Marine Amplifier Kit, 4-Ch. Waterproof Audio Power Amp System

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I went ahead and did the easy install of the Pyle marine unit and was able to hide it under the heater box. Had no idea these marine amplifiers were an option. Thanks Aaron

9FF106AF-5BB3-4E9A-9EFD-831A893A0857.jpeg