Stevenola

Tii downpipe hitting rear tranny bracket on 245 install

21 posts / 435 viewsLast Reply

Things have been going relatively smoothly with the 245 install on the Tii and the tranny sits nicely in place and lines up straight with no clearance or alignment issues. The Blunt ultimate kit is very nice. However when I went to put the downpipe on it hits the rear tranny support bracket and nut. I tried shortening all excess bolt length but no joy. I need about 1/4” or so to ensure no touching or rattles. Is it possible to heat the pipe and bend it down or will that bust the welds at the manifold joint section?  What say the experts?  Thanks. 

629DC020-6FF4-465A-8497-94B2FD363A29.jpeg

That's pretty soft steel.

I have the same issue with my $60 ansa downpipe. 

I jacked up the car and persuaded it down a bit with a rather long pry bar but need to do it a bit more.

You can try. Worst case if you break it is buying a new downpipe I think 😉 

Would it help to heat up the pipe?

That crappy old Ireland bracket is sounding better all the time.

It's up on jackstands so will be difficult to get to Metry

I think your phone will reach. 

Here's my car there :D

photo WP_001517_zps0a7e7ba6.jpg

My clearance on the 69 was similar (72tii engine, tii manifold with new down pipe), 245 tranny with Blunt ultimate kit.  Turns out I had installed the tranny support brackets too low.  Everything was ok when I raised the rear of the tranny (insert here for arguments on giubo alignment😳).  I also had to trim the horizontal bracket to fit up inside the narrow tunnel.

(edited)
1 hour ago, jgerock said:

My clearance on the 69 was similar (72tii engine, tii manifold with new down pipe), 245 tranny with Blunt ultimate kit.  Turns out I had installed the tranny support brackets too low.  Everything was ok when I raised the rear of the tranny (insert here for arguments on giubo alignment😳).  I also had to trim the horizontal bracket to fit up inside the narrow tunnel.

I also cut my bracket because it was too wide to fit up in the tunnel, and had the bolt holes slotted for adjustment side to side.  I mounted the bracket as high up into the tunnel as I could, thinking I could always add a spacer to drop it for alignment if needed.  The transmission and bracket can't go any higher, and the relationship to the exhaust and the transmission is fixed, so if the transmission is raised or lowered so is the exhaust.  So the only way to get the bracket higher would be to cut the tranny bushing down and raise the bracket in the tunnel which would require more cutting.  But I'd prefer to not do that if possible because I'd have to redrill the 4 tunnel bolt holes and what a mess that will be. 

Which brings me back to the question about somehow bending the pipe without breaking the manifolds or the pipe itself.

Edited by Stevenola

58 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Everything was ok when I raised the rear of the tranny (insert here for arguments on giubo alignment😳).

Doesn't the end of the downpipe follow the engine/tranny tilt, (it's attached to the engine).

8 minutes ago, jimk said:

Doesn't the end of the downpipe follow the engine/tranny tilt, (it's attached to the engine).

Yes, hence my predicament

(edited)

It's always something with these things, isn't it??

Remove the downpipe (hopefully the three nuts come off without breaking the studs) Use an impact gun... Once the downpipe is off the car you can put the heat to it and bend it as necessary. 

It really seems that the problem isn't one of angle, but of length; the flange is right at the transmission bracket.  Drive it down to the exhaust shop (open header will sound awesome :) ) and have them remove the downpipe and have them lengthen the tube; of course matching the remaining exhaust pipe to fit. 

I think you've exhausted all the easy options...🙄

Ed

Edited by zinz

2 minutes ago, zinz said:

I think you've exhausted all the easy options...🙄

Ed

I'm not sure your response resonates with me.

:D

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I'm not sure your response resonates with me.

:D

Ray is emitting hot air as usual.  The down pipe has been off the car for repaint so removing it is not as issue.  I will try to find something to attach it to to get leverage and try bending it - off the manifolds.

• Haha 1