sam1904

Two issues with mismatched hose sizes on new IE brake parts

15 posts / 372 viewsLast Reply

Just received new brake booster and master from IE and have two issues ....

Booster

The ‘nipple’ for the vacuum hose is smaller than the last booster. (10mm OD plain vs. 12mm barbed). The nipple on the Intake manifold is still 12mm. The elbow on the new booster is bayonet versus push in style of my previous booster. As such I cannot swap them out. I am assuming that I cannot hose clamp compress a 12 mm tube down to 10 mm without a vacuum leak. Any thoughts?

Master cylinder

The ID of the grommets for the elbows feeding fluid from the reservoir to push into are 12 mm on the new master that I received and 8 mm on the old. The tubing from the reservoir still has an 8 mm ID due to the 8 mm nipple on the reservoir. The bushings cannot be changed out between the two master cylinders as the OD of the bushing is also bigger on this new version. I cannot find any elbows that are 8 mm on one end and 12 mm on the other or an imperial alternative. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sam

C1E4D1F9-3B90-4B5F-82AB-5E057787A1E9.jpeg

46ADA973-7EA5-403B-AB36-C9E151B5D38A.jpeg

A9974993-820F-4D12-8CCD-8979F24D654F.jpeg

64E93720-667D-401A-A3D5-9B24CC5BE291.jpeg

Thanks. That is an option but I just expedited these parts and worked around the clock all week to get them here to do our ‘mini vintage’ this weekend.
Anything Ireland do is going to be end of next week on the East Coast. 

Thanks, looks like I am screwed. My buddy ordered the same master cylinder and it came looking like this. These guys are really starting to annoy me.

4A6282B2-1F9E-4DD3-9E5E-515FB7D576B8.jpeg

In a pinch you can use some layers of shrink wrap or electrical tape around the new booster inlet.  And, if you can't find the grommets locally, I have some and could overnight them to you tomorrow.

If you need it this weekend a good auto parts or big box store will have a reducer that will work for 10 to 12mm for not much money. Then wait for Ireland to send parts.

Or try putting a short piece of hose on the end and jamming that in.  If the OD of the hose is too large you can turn it down, by putting the piece in a drill motor, using a dowel, or pencil, or something and then spinning it up against a sander or grinder, or maybe even just sand paper.

You can make it work with hardware store parts- and zip ties.  Think racer, not restorer.

t

• Like 1

Did you order a tii master? If memory serves me the tii cylinder has that raised ridge along the top where on most 02 cylinders its much lower what is the size in mm cast on the side.

(edited)
9 hours ago, TobyB said:

You can make it work with hardware store parts- and zip ties.  Think racer, not restorer.

t

Thanks all, it seems we are all on the same page - try and MacGyver it with electrical tape, shrink wrap and something (yet to be determined) stealthily stolen from my wife's keepsake drawer and re-purposed! Don't worry Billie definitely sees herself as 'raced' and not 'restored'! I was hoping there would be a silver bullet and someone would say "those grommets are the same as a Chevy windscreen washer pump!"

10 hours ago, halboyles said:

In a pinch you can use some layers of shrink wrap or electrical tape around the new booster inlet.  And, if you can't find the grommets locally, I have some and could overnight them to you tomorrow.

Thank you so much for the kind offer, if you have some and are going to be at UPS let me know and I can PAYPAL, if not please do not put yourself out. Where did you get them and can I find them the same place locally? (They are not from a Chevy WW Pump are they! ;) ). The grommet I am looking for would have the OD of the large one below (20mm ish and ID of the smaller 8mm ish). The smaller one actually pushes inside the larger but is just a little too unstable to work even though I assume this is a low pressure (atmospheric??) line

9 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Did you order a tii master? If memory serves me the tii cylinder has that raised ridge along the top where on most 02 cylinders its much lower what is the size in mm cast on the side.

I did, 22mm. IE has it as a replacement for the stock "We also recommend using this master cylinder as a functional upgrade for standard 2002’s with dual-circuit front brakes as it has a larger 22mm bore" no mention of MacGyver in the description.... Also as shown a few posts up a buddy ordered the exact same part and it came with 20mm OD / 8mm ID Grommets...

Thanks all,

Sam

Billie.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Edited by sam1904

What’s Macgyver about swapping grommets?  Generally speaking, I know they take the liberty of swapping out the grommets before hand (like your buddy experienced).  However, I’m sure in the rush around an expedited order I’m sure it got missed.

Super cool looking car.  I like the number placement.

5 hours ago, sam1904 said:

Where did you get them and can I find them the same place locally?

PM sent on over-nighting some, but the same grommet was used on Audi's, VW's, and a few others.  I found some cross reference numbers that might be available for you locally.

Cross Interchange Parts
Factory    Number
BMW    34311121911
VAG    811 611 817
ATE    03.3304-1400.1
OPEL    5 59 060
FTE    H0857

Ireland (the business) seems to be going through one of its periodic phases.

t

as noted from other boards, as well.

4 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

What’s Macgyver about swapping grommets?  Generally speaking, I know they take the liberty of swapping out the grommets before hand (like your buddy experienced).  However, I’m sure in the rush around an expedited order I’m sure it got missed.

Super cool looking car.  I like the number placement.

MacGuyver is getting it connected up, filed and bled using parts on hand etc  BEFORE I get the grommets. We have a 12 car drive this Sunday and at the VERY earliest the grommets will get here NEXT Thursday if IE jumps on it today...