rcf925

68 1600

68 posts / 2660 viewsLast Reply

Beautiful little survivor. That thing should stay as is. 

• Like 2

(edited)

This appears to be a very complete and original — and unmolested — example of a 1968 1600-2, probably manufactured in January 1968.

I, nonetheless, find the $16,000 price ambitious. I just know that when you start to address the “minor body work” that the seller admits to, you’re going to wind up with a full and expensive re-paint. And that’s going to lead to...

Again, I’ve not seen a public sale of a 1968 1600-2 above $28,000, no matter how gorgeous. And this car is going to need a big investment to get to that level.

If you can live with the car as is, more power to you. But the rust spots, dents, and scrapes would drive me crazy.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Conserv said:

If you can live with the car as is, more power to you. But the rust spots, dents, and scrapes would drive me crazy.

Regards,

Steve

Remind me to never let you see my car 😅

Some of us like cars that are preserved because they wear their stories. As long as the damage/rust isn’t terminal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm kinda with Conserv on this one. Yes, it could be driven around like that, but I don't need another DD, and I'd feel obligated to the BMW gods to resurrect it. So right away, I'm looking at 10 large minimum (well, Canadian) to do body and paint. That's assuming underneath isn't falling apart. So 16US to start?

• Like 3

Just to chime in the chorus, it's a really nice example, but I'd be worried about the rust. I just finished restoring a rust-free 1968, and I think replacing all the rubber parts was a grand.

Here's a few comparable cars that have sold. The third link in the BaT list is my car, and I paid up for no rust. See rust, and run! If the buyer is in the car in the low twenties when it's all finished, it will be a good buy and a good investment. Just my opinion. Aloha! Robert

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-1600/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-1600-7/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-1600-6/

I agree that the car isn't worth $16k, maybe $11k is more realistic. I also have a California black plate survivor car, and while it's crusty on the outside and has some rust bubbles, it doesn't have anything seriously cancerous. There are plenty of CA cars like this. If this car is in similar shape, which it appears to be, a mechanical refresh and maybe some cleaning and it can be a solid driver out here. 

• Like 1

(edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, FunElan said:

Remind me to never let you see my car 😅

Some of us like cars that are preserved because they wear their stories. As long as the damage/rust isn’t terminal. 

I lived with my ‘76’s original paint until 2015. It had started deteriorating in 1980. Thirty-five years is a long time. Certainly the car was solid “survivor” material, but I never felt good driving it with its diminished cosmetics. It rains on the East Coast, where I’ve lived my life, and bare metal plus rain are a terrible combination. Everyone draws their line somewhere! I won’t ever again let a car reach that point. 😉

Photos one through seven show the state prior to the re-paint.

The sad state didn’t reflect the car’s original beauty. It didn’t reflect the car I bought new or the car I loved. The last three photos show the car in April 1977. That’s the car I want to remember. You want history? I can fill you in on the car’s ups and downs — plus, I’ve got photos of those ups and downs, and four full volumes of receipts!

Best regards,

Steve

9142670A-27A6-4D5F-868A-2908D2A451E2.jpeg

AC8DB00B-59BF-49B8-93BD-FDC5901DB14B.jpeg

E2FE7381-11E1-41DB-A0F8-BB1D3EEB147B.jpeg

1A2DB88A-1F60-4EB7-85C3-BA77E9E82E50.jpeg

82602EB6-3449-4FFF-AE72-1E945D56996F.jpeg

18AA7804-1F8D-4E10-9A21-E5DD9FD21055.jpeg

4151765E-564D-44F4-822B-7BBC2D6C5F96.jpeg

47659CA1-0BDC-4931-8AFF-E8DB8B27A460.jpeg

3A06016A-914F-47FA-940C-73760CD764B8.jpeg

D0BC180E-5B27-4064-97EC-B7B35BE129F6.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

Looks like a great early car. Ill bet it’s had it’s dash changed at some point to the later style instead of the “chrome” bottom which is a bummer. Hopefully it still has the dimpled trim that carried into early 68. 

If it were mine, I’d refresh the mechanicals and drive it as is. Looks great and has a lot of character. Also agree that 16 is too high for this one, but 11-14 is probably fair Nowadays depending on how mechanically sorted it is

• Like 1

(edited)
45 minutes ago, dasfrogger said:

... Looks like a great early car. Ill bet it’s had it’s dash changed at some point to the later style instead of the “chrome” bottom which is a bummer. Hopefully it still has the dimpled trim that carried into early 68. 

It’s a January 1968 car. The chrome-trimmed dashboards had to be gone by the Federally-mandated deadline of January 1, 1968. It appears that BMW began phasing out the chrome-trimmed dashboards — U.S.-spec cars only — in October and/or November 1967.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

My car was made on September 28, 1967 and delivered to Hoffman on October 6, 1967. It was imported to the US as a 1968, Federalized car, and sold new in the San Francisco area. Note the chrome trimmed dashboard that Steve is pointing out. The only true "chrome" is the front piece of the ash tray. The rest is vacuum metallized plastic, or so called "chromed plastic." These non-metal pieces used to be unobtainable, but now Blunttech and others carry remanufactured bits that are as good as new. Aloha, Robert

thumbnail-17.jpg

thumbnail-18.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Conserv said:

It’s a January 1968 car. The chrome-trimmed dashboards had to be gone by the Federally-mandated deadline of January 1, 1968. It appears that BMW began phasing out the chrome-trimmed dashboards — U.S.-spec cars only — in October and/or November 1967.

Best regards,

Steve

That's good to know! I thought they went thru feb or so of 68. Very cool. I wonder when they stopped with the nose trim and the positioning of the roundel and 1600 on the back

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, dasfrogger said:

That's good to know! I thought they went thru feb or so of 68. Very cool. I wonder when they stopped with the nose trim and the positioning of the roundel and 1600 on the back

The “above the trim” roundel and 1600 badge — also pointed out by Tom Jones on the instant car — must have moved “below the trim” shortly after this car, as a May 1968 (“V/68”) brochure shows it below the trim on a 1600-2 (first photo). Curiously, the earliest 2002, VIN 1660001 of November 29, 1967, had a “below the trim” roundel and 2002 badge (second photo), so perhaps the commencement of the 2002’s regular production in January and February 1968 forced a merging of the 1600-2’s and the 2002’s badge placement. Alternatively, is the present 1600-2 an outlier, or did it have its roundel and 1600 badge moved, perhaps after a collision repair? More data points would help.

Other changes continued to happen in early 1968. The early remote power brake boosters disappeared around February or March 1968.

Best regards,

Steve

3D72FE4B-C5B3-4D5E-AAC4-ECF917C70316.jpeg

29995981-B795-4318-A3DC-0793AF52380F.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

I wrote the seller, Erick, to see if he'd send me pictures of the rear bulkhead. Yes, I'm still on a research mission to try and understand the evolution of rear bulkhead designs in BMW sedans! Anyway, he sent me some pictures back, and told me it was okay to post them for you all to view.

Turns out this car has been advertised on FAQ before. See the thread from August 2018, below. I did quiz him about a few things. Reference to "Anniversary edition" in his FAQ ad was probably just because he was trying to sell it in 2018, 50 years after the year it was manufactured. That explanation is my guess. The car has a clean CA title, according to seller. The build record on the car is as follows:

"The BMW 1600 US VIN 1562248 was manufactured on January 01st, 1968 and delivered on January 24th, 1968 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085."

According to Erick, the car was found in The Cuyama Historical Car Garden, an eclectic desert repository for old cars in California. He sent along a couple of pictures of the car just before it was rescued from the desert, below.

So, there you have it. Seems like an interesting, black plate California survivor. Interior upholstery has been redone. Erick says the former owner was a mechanic did some performance upgrades to the engine, but he does not know the specifics of the upgrades. No historic documents, no tool kit, but has spare tire and tire changing equipment.

Erick can be reached on the Craigslist address, or through FAQ by his username bmw1600sb. He seems like a nice fellow. Aloha, Robert

thumbnail-13.jpg

thumbnail-14.jpg

thumbnail-15.jpg

thumbnail-16.jpg

IMG_7378 (1).JPG

IMG_7372 (3).JPG

• Like 3

@rcf925 Thanks for sharing the ad for this car here. @Conserv and I chatted about it earlier this week. Steve and I were commenting on the juxtaposition of the padded dash and badge still above the taillight trim wondering what the production date was, or, how close it was to the Jan ‘68 requirement for padded dashboards in the US... I saw the VIN tag showing 1562248 and thought of asking BMW Classic the car’s birthdate, but thanks to @BritshIron contacting the seller we have a birthdate of, amazingly, January 1st 1968! Thank you BritshIron!

Now, this is making me want to look up the VIN breakdown in the parts books. This may very well be one of, if not the first padded dash 1600!

Off to the parts info...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1