johnpeter

1968 BMW 2002 Coupe

9 posts / 690 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

It really looks like a nice example. Great color, too! But,

(A.) the early cars, in general — whether they be 1600-2’s or 2002’s — do not attract the values of the “middle-era” cars (e.g., 1972-73). I can’t explain why, especially when I compare it to the craze over 1963-1965 911’s, but I guess that the ‘02 community simply has fewer fans for the earlier cars. And, curiously, everyone with a post-April 1971 ‘02 seems to remove the knee trim to make their car look like the early models! The most gorgeous examples of early (1966-68) 1600-2’s and 2002’s, however, seem to have a $30,000 ceiling, based on public sales, and very, very few exceed $25,000. So the general market for early examples imposes some sort of a limit on value.

and

(B.) this car, in particular, lacks its original engine. My gut — which may be worthless — says that the lack of an original engine in many ‘02’s has little or no effect on market value. Yes, I believe that! Most ‘02 owners are simply not obsessed with originality — present company excepted! But this particular early ‘02 is so original and complete that I suspect many of the most likely buyers are genuinely turned off by the lack of the original engine. Again, this is one person’s opinion: mine.

I personally — and I undeniably have a hard-on for 1968 model year 2002’s 😁 — couldn’t imagine buying this car, period, because I believe I could find a 1968 with its original engine. And I can’t imagine anyone paying more than $25,000 for it.

My opinion.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

(edited)

I knew Les had the number, but it took a while to find it. The seller paid $27K for the car at a Sothebys auction. That, in my mind, is all the money, and then some!

Here's the earlier thread where Les brings up the Sothebys auction.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I had an opportunity to buy this 68 Polaris 02 before Reggie Stewart purchased it. The seller wanted $18,000 for it at that time. It needed some things fixed, which Reggie did once he owned it. So, it's definitely a better car now, but the value did not go up nearly so much as the seller seems to think.

• Like 2