tech71

Adjustable timing light time, I think.

17 posts / 672 viewsLast Reply

I did do some searching about this and found some good info.

My huge, Buck Rodgers ray gun lookin timing light is no longer cutting it.

And with the Getrag 240 and E30 flywheel (it was like new) currently installed,I think I need to just forget about the little "window" 

Fine by me, not as easy to get a line of sight down that little hole as it used to be and with an E30 flywheel, I'm not even sure there's a point in trying.

My cars a 76 and has only the TDC mark on the crank pulley, an adjustable timing light will allow me to set 25 degrees advance and use my TDC mark as reference.. right?

Time to let go of the past I guess...

IMG_1735 2.JPG

I've got one of those!  Perhaps we can start a vintage timing light club-- The Flashing Geezers, Strobe Light Grandpas,  .....

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

(edited)

Strobing Stepdads, Diode Daddies?

Just ordered an Inova 5568, seems well regarded here on the Faq. Should be here by Thurs.

I actually thought about just guesstimating 25 degrees on my pulley and painting a mark but this is more.. elegant😉

So Survivor is running again!  Oil leaks appear a thing of the past.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

No no no! If the timing light still works, definitely keep it! Or if it's broken, replace it! Hugely helpful diagnostic tools beyond just setting timing! Won't start? Hook it up and it'll tell you if you've got spark or not! Have a miss? Timing light will quickly help you find which cylinder! Upgrading to Megasquirt? Use it to perfectly dial in the trigger wheel angle offset! I'm telling ya, don't be a 2002 owner without a timing light, unwise move! I literally had mine out this weekend to check something for a question here in the forum!

5 hours ago, tech71 said:

Buck Rodgers ray gun lookin timing light

Uh, yours is definitely a Flash Gordon Super Death Ray model--the black rim around the business end is the giveaway.  Buck Rogers ray guns were all chrome and were a lot more art deco looking...

mike

• Like 1

(edited)

A "competitor's" version of Flash Gordon's Super Death Ray - with Sun power! Strobe it!

null

image.jpeg

Edited by JerryC
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JerryC said:

A "competitor's" version of Flash Gordon's Super Death Ray

I think that model was carried by Ming the Merciless' troops.  Good eyes!

mike

• Haha 1

I'm still a fan of the basic timing light and find it much easier to read off the crank pulley as well.  I add advance marks to my pulleys at 10° increments.

pulleyWmarks1SML.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mike said:

I think that model was carried by Ming the Merciless' troops.  Good eyes!

mike

The Sun timing light was the one to have back when I bought that one, around 1974 or '75. They were the brightest light available, you could see the timing mark while working outside. Many other brands at the time needed lots of shade to be usable. Suns are very reliable, I still have the spare flash lamp that I purchased at the same time.

• Like 1

(edited)
On 5/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, halboyles said:

I've got one of those! 

Had to pull it out from my rusty, moldy, ancient Craftsman tool box, but just wanted to verify that I've got the bonafides to hang out with the elite Flashing Geezers community!

Penske Timing Light- Dixco Analyzer.jpg

Edited by halboyles
  • Like 3

Hey, I've got one of those Penske lights too!  Sorry, I'm away from my garage, otherwise I'd post a picture to prove my bonafides to hang out with you guys.

Very cool, what, no 4cyl  band? Haha

That'd be cool to have, yet another tool with so much info Iget even more confused.

Not a adjustable light if it was it would have a knob on the back to change the advance.Penske Timing Light- Dixco Analyzer.jpgthe advance.