EscapeArtist

H&R Fuel Injection - Bohemia, NY

10 posts / 568 viewsLast Reply

One of the last items for the restoration of my car was the rebuild on the Kugelfischer injection pump.  After calling the usual sources and being confronted with up to a five (5) month wait I finally reached Marty at H&R Fuel Injection in Bohemia, NY (close to me in MA).  Marty's pricing was the same as everyone else but he said he could rebuild the pump and service the injectors in one week.  I assumed that was maybe being overly optimistic - but even if the service took one month I was way ahead of anyone else.  Marty's reputation (taking over from Hanz) was solid so a week ago I shipped the pump and injectors to him.  Received the rebuilt pump back today along with the serviced fuel injectors.  My mechanic says the pump is too beautiful to install!  Here is the rebuilt pump.  I will update with the performance when back on the road (hopefully in a matter of days).

Resized_20200511_143238.jpeg

• Like 5

(edited)

PM me i have a recent 'Marty' story. it was a nightmare

Edited by iinca
  • Sad 2

(edited)

mine didn't come back looking like that. apparently he's stepped up his game since a year ago...

In fact he sent my pump back WITHOUT working on it! It was clean on the outside (because I cleaned it before sending it). I asked him the day he was to send it back how it bench tested. He said "FINE"

I got it all back together on the car.... and right away I spent a good amount of time  chasing a no fuel problem to 3 and 4 with no success....

as a last resort I tore my supposedly "REBUILT" pump apart to see if Marty had possibly missed something. SURPRISE! He hadn't touch a thing! I almost went into shock. it was filthy. 45 years filthy! WTH??

I can't make this up (and why would I?)

When I confronted him with the mess he denied that I ever sent him the pump.

My 10 emails to him and returned say different (plus the box with his Bohemia Address on it) .  When I showed him that he just got real snotty and told me not to bother him anymore....boo hoo...no 'sorry'...no explanation..

Basically he'd just boxed it up and sent it back. My 'supposedly "clean" injectors were in the same box. I'm doubting he serviced those too. I've got it apart now and having those gone through by another vendor. Nightmare.

I'm in shock seeing that super nice pump. Now I'm all worked up seeing what 'could have been'.... 

..Maybe he took my advice to heart (can't repeat it word for word)>

but I told him> your an embarrassment to your father's legacy..

I stopped short of 'yelping' him...

20191212_ (5).jpg

20191212_ (3).jpg

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you get data on  the output?

Just keeping score..... :)

15 hours ago, iinca said:

mine didn't come back looking like that. apparently he's stepped up his game since a year ago...

In fact he sent my pump back WITHOUT working on it! It was clean on the outside (because I cleaned it before sending it). I asked him the day he was to send it back how it bench tested. He said "FINE"

I got it all back together on the car.... and right away I spent a good amount of time  chasing a no fuel problem to 3 and 4 with no success....

as a last resort I tore my supposedly "REBUILT" pump apart to see if Marty had possibly missed something. SURPRISE! He hadn't touch a thing! I almost went into shock. it was filthy. 45 years filthy! WTH??

I can't make this up (and why would I?)

When I confronted him with the mess he denied that I ever sent him the pump.

My 10 emails to him and returned say different (plus the box with his Bohemia Address on it) .  When I showed him that he just got real snotty and told me not to bother him anymore....boo hoo...no 'sorry'...no explanation..

Basically he'd just boxed it up and sent it back. My 'supposedly "clean" injectors were in the same box. I'm doubting he serviced those too. I've got it apart now and having those gone through by another vendor. Nightmare.

I'm in shock seeing that super nice pump. Now I'm all worked up seeing what 'could have been'.... 

..Maybe he took my advice to heart (can't repeat it word for word)>

but I told him> your an embarrassment to your father's legacy..

I stopped short of 'yelping' him...

20191212_ (5).jpg

20191212_ (3).jpg

Was this about the time Hans (his father) died? He wasn't handling that very well.

(edited)

I never got any paperwork. Including an invoice! He kept promising to send me paperwork on everything but it never came. The whole deal was the last thing I expected.

Yes he must have been having a bad life at the time. It was few months after but.... He sure didn't handle my deal very well.

I was as polite as one could be to start off. He never really grasped the situation.

If I posted his emails I'd be banned instantly. There really was no call for that response.

I eventually  snapped and it got pretty ugly. Many emails back and forth....finishing with my comment on Han's Legacy

Looking at the super pimped out pump It appears he's rallied. 

Edited by iinca

9 minutes ago, iinca said:

I eventually  snapped and it got pretty ugly. Many emails back and forth....finishing with my comment on Han's Legacy

Did you pay for the job (non-job)?

(edited)

no. Curiously I never got an invoice..I went to my bank and there were no charges from H&R.

That was fine by me but it was one big waste of time as I was racing to get my car on the road before winter hit. 

Just another lesson> Use West Coast Vendors if possible. My pump should have gone to good 'ol Gus.

*Marty sucked me in by giving me a 3 week turn around time..

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about the bad experience another member had as described above.  To complete my report the Kugelfischer pump and injectors were installed today and the tii runs wonderfully.  Very smooth and lots of power.  Idles well and throttle response is right there!  Very satisfied customer.  Wonderful resource to have for those of us on the East Coast.  If you view the H&R page on facebook you will see a post from May 6th with my rebuilt pump on the test bench!

• Thanks 1

I had my injectors there after speaking with Hans two years ago, maybe. It was taking a while so I called several times and finally got Marty. The guy could hardly speak to me on the phone he was so upset about his Dad. I felt horribly for him, not knowing either him or his Dad. It took all the empathy I could muster to speak with him. We talked about just about everything else except my injectors, until the end of the conversation.

I left him alone after that. A few weeks later I got my 'rebuilt' injectors, nice and tidy. I'm hoping you caught him during his mourning period Inca, and he's now past it all.