Door Panel card template?

use a thick plastic sheeting, tape it on the door. outline holes and start trimming, make a test panel, mount and adjust. 

If you have old cards obviously that gives you a start point. I have my old panel board but having done it there are some fiddly areas that may depend on your thickness of final panel or how you're covering it.

Appreciate it, I was planning on just using some plywood with water resistant adhesive. My only concern is that the old panel (which I am using as a template) is warped and will give me an inaccurate product. What is your experience with this? Appreciate it . Thanks

This was my learning process. I'd do some things a little differently next time, namely the way I did the two tone and then triple checking fitment of door clip holes, and I might go ahead and buy 2 or 3mm Sintra as I initially planned. Its what many hotrodders choose.

https://nomads2002.blogspot.com/2019/12/making-custom-interior-door-panels.html

Hard to take pics in the garage.

I'm finishing timing and best idle before pulling it out of the garage for the first time in a year.

20200425_150219.jpg

Edited by theNomad

How "stock" do you want to be?

if you salvaged the vinyl from your original door cards, it can be stretched on glued and stapled to you new plywood door cards.

The problem with plywood is getting it thin enough for the green plastic press fasteners to fit through properly. If you have fitment issues and aren't fussy about a stock look, you can fasten your new door cards with black headed screws with grommets which are available through most automotive parts stores. Just need to predrill holes for the screws, and ignore the original holes and fasteners.

Just keep the good 2002 suppliers in business. Why mess around and source wood and drill your own holes. Your time is worth money!!!

https://www.2002parts.com/bmw/door-panel-kit.html

Done.

Also a good price on the green clips. Clip wise, RM European has an "OEM" brand similarly priced and cheaper than ECS BMW brand but then you need to make shipping worth it.

Edited by mgben
clarification
  • Like 2

I am using my less than flat OEM ones so far, so no skin in the game besides redoing the window felt and aluminum topper but here is the other thread on this. I just know that even a trip to a lumberyard eats up more time than the Varco Kit. which is well vetted,

Edited by mgben
link