• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turn signal not working

just bought my 1975 2002 about 2 weeks ago and have begin running through everything. when i bought the car the turn signals worked great and now i noticed they don't. the hazard switch works and the turn signals blink when hazard switch is on and blinker indicator on dash works with hazard switch. the high beams light comes on on the dash when the high beams are on also and high beams work. took the switch out and tested everything with a multimeter and when the turn signals are flicked they both get power on the switch. also i see there is i believe a purple and white wire cur from the hazard switch and runs to my radio which also stopped working around the same time. I'm all out of ideas 

Edited by Rubbersoul
fixed wording

Presume you did check the fuse that services the turn signals.  You didn't mention your car's year (that's important when asking a question) but the sticker by the fuse box will tell you which fuse to check.  

That being done....I would suspect the hazard switch, as it has a set of internal contacts that provide power to the turn signals (that work only with the ignition on) and another set that allows the emergency flashers to work anytime.  Try this:  select a left or right turn with the signal lever, then wiggle the emergency flasher switch button (presume you have a modell 71 roundie (257/8/9XXXX VIN or a squarelight) without pushing it all the way in.  See if your signals now work. If not, try substituting a spare switch and see if that cures the problem.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite