• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on waist chromed mouldings

ik1

Hi,

My car has been under restoration for a while, the body shop finished painting it some weeks ago and now is fresh from light sanding and polish to get the final results. 

They are now in the process of refitting parts and, in order to match the bright new paint, I decided to order new parts when possible (mainly seals and chrome) prior to paint.

I had read on the forum that newly made mouldings might not be perfect fit, and I´m afraid it is the case with the bonnet ones (see pictures attached).

These are BMW genuine parts bought a couple of months ago. You can imagine how upset you get when you spend aiming for perfection and results are not what you expected.

The body shop guys said that they tried to massage mouldings in place quite gently, but they are afraid of being more agressive and end damaging them.

Does anyone have good advice on how to make them fit properly without visible damage, or should I give up and live with that? Maybe heat would help? Shop says trim is quite rigid and not easy to bend,

Using the old ones is not an option because they are 45 years old and are far from good, whith dings and scratches, all in all visibly worse than these new ones.

Regards

IMG-20200428-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200428-WA0004.jpg

Edited by ik1

You can’t make them fit, I had exactly the same issue.

i believe the new stainless steel ones that Blunt (?) supplies fit.

Unfortunately  BMW is lacking a bit of quality control.

Hey at least we can still get them.

i decided life was to short and moved on, not saying it doesn’t bug me, it does, just not that much.

cheers.

• Like 2

I see you are on Corona-mode ?

Did you try to make them fit bending them or similar, or you left them "as they came"?

I am tented to heat them with a hair dryer or heat gun and  give them a massage with a wood rolling pin

I had some dented and scratched pieces restored by King of trim.  You might inquire there since you have the originals.   I had my nose and the passenger door pieces redone since the repros were out of stock everywhere when I was finishing my car.   The restored pieces matched perfectly 

• Like 1

Hi,

Djthom, thanks for your advice.

The problem is that I am located in Spain and here chrome trim on cars is mostly long gone, and the classic car scene is not as big as in the US. There are not many places around that restore aluminium trim. Maybe I would have to ship them to the UK and hope for a good work "sight unseen".

There are still a couple places that do rechrome, but it would be for real chrome (like bumpers), not for refinishing aluminium. Apart from that with all the enviromental issues the cost of rechroming here comes often above that of new reproduction parts.

I've just spoken to the body shop and they say they are going to give them a second shot once they settle a bit. The front hood was the last thing they painted (just two or three days ago) and their idea is to wait several days for the hood paint to cure, then lightly sand and polish it, and afterwards install the hood trim, and then they will go back at the bonnet and hood trims with more expeditious approach to try to adjust them to the car contour as good as possible.

We'll see.

I will post pictures of the final result once it is all done and if it's good, I'll let the forum know how they did it without messing the trim.

Regards  

Edited by ik1

2 hours ago, Djthom said:

I had some dented and scratched pieces restored by King of trim.  You might inquire there since you have the originals.   I had my nose and the passenger door pieces redone since the repros were out of stock everywhere when I was finishing my car.   The restored pieces matched perfectly 

+1

Given the high cost of new trim, the King of Trim is looking better than ever. Restoring and re-bright-dipping an original piece might cost more than a new piece, but it will fit! And you don’t have to worry about new supplies that come and go.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I just went through this with my 68, Had beat up originals I had to get dents out of and re polish, When I fitted them I bought some small sheet metal screws and after mounting with plastic clips  from the back side I screwed in the sheet metal screws in center of plastic clip to pull trim in and hold in place. I wasn't doing a concours resto though

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Given the high cost of new trim, the King of Trim is looking better than ever. Restoring and re-bright-dipping an original piece might cost more than a new piece, but it will fit! And you don’t have to worry about new supplies that come and go.

Regards,

Steve

+1

Just my observation from seeing the photos but it looks like the trim is too long. Maybe if some material was shaved off where it appears to make contact with the nose piece it would allow it to come in closer to the hood?  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 72pdx02 said:

ust my observation from seeing the photos but it looks like the trim is too long. Maybe if some material was shaved off where it appears to make contact with the nose piece it would allow it to come in closer to the hood?  

I noticed the same thing:  the curved piece that's standing proud of the hood appears to be doing so because it's hitting the piece that goes across the hood's front edge.  Were you to file off a few mm from the end of the curved section, I'll bet it would lie flat.  And since the filed edge will be covered by the "bridge" piece, your modification won't show.  Worth a try, as I don't think bending or heating will help.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You cant bend or shape that to fit, not by hand and certainly not with a rubber mallet (cringe, tell them to stop doing that)

It's a compound bend and the bend radius is just wrong (good going BMW), one surface will try to stretch while another will try to shrink. Its going to crease and or wrinkle. Your body guys are wasting your time.

How are the trunk pieces?

Sorry.

Your car looks awesome!

knows a little about working aluminum

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I have put a couple of these "new " moldings and not one has fit well, had to do a lot of massaging and very gentle bending BUT as already mentioned, these have more than one curve and you can easily bend or kink them   I have done a number of original damaged  moldings with using a sandbag as a base and made up some wooden bits that are the same shape as the moldings so I can work out the dents and kinks, Once that is done, I sand them down with 180 grit getting rid of all the marks from damage or repairs   Slowly work through different grades of wet and dry up to 800 and 1000 grit paper and then I buffed them to a brilliant polished surface. Once this is done, you now do not have any anodizing left on the moldings   Cost to get them re anodized was prohibited so I used a solution called Everclear that protects the shiny surface      Some moldings were just too far gone and had to be replaced with good used ones that were treated to the same treatment    They all fit great and look spectacular 

Thanks, Rick 

• Like 3

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your opinions. I made a typing mistake though, the pictures show the trunk trim instead of the bonnet (altough I am afraid the bonnet side trim will also probably be poor fitting).

The bonnet itself is not in the car yet as it was painted just a couple of days ago and the shop decided to wait for the paint to settle, correct possible imperfections and polish it, and then fit the trim with the paint properly settled).

Pictures show the initial approach with gentle adjustment made on the trim, they told me they didn't want to go harder and take the risk of bending the trim, but they believe that a little more treatment (and maybe shaving a bit of the end as Mike suggests) will help the trim to fit flatter in the corner. They are a shop with 40 years experience and I know them many years ago and can say I trust them. 

What is certainly true is that the fitment of some OE parts is quite poor. I also had a problem with the presewn headliner (also genuine BMW part) where the C pillar material on one side was a bit too short to fully cover the lower corner of the rear window.

I guess Asian manufactured parts have lazy quality controls even being genuine parts...

I will post pictures of the results when they make the final adjustment of all the trim. I haven't seen it in person and only have those pictures as the shop is in a village 20 miles away from the town where I live in and we are confined here now (and will be for at least a couple of weeks more) and not allowed to travel "freely" without valid reasons.

Cheers

Ik1

Edited by ik1