• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dipstick doesn’t *snap* into place

Cooper

Still in the process of shaking down the “new” engine. One of the things I’ve noticed is that the dipstick tube on this engine is the two piece style with the rubber hose, and the dipstick doesn’t hold itself in place (pictured) like I’m used to it doing. I’ve tried rotating the tube and changing how far it pushes in slightly, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. I’ve also replaced the blue hose with a regular black rubber hose if that makes a difference. 

suggestions would be appreciated as I don’t really like the spray of oil that is glazing the left side of the engine bay

E8A22146-2992-4973-B566-9CDF26077C98.jpeg

Edited by Cooper

what does the rest of that rubber plug look like? (where it pokes into the tube)  It should be a fit that centers it.  It looks like the rubber is damaged/missing on yours.   

Mine doesn't have that problem, but I did make a boot that fits over it, using a silicone (seems like) rubber boot from the end of a spark plug wire and it can be rolled down over the steel tube to seal it.

I have read of tubes being different lengths/styles and it is important to know that it gives an accurate oil level reading.  Have you confirmed that, with your recent oil refill?

• Like 2

I think Minty hit it on the head, there should be a kinda rubber cone under the stop shown that centers and locks the dip stick down, part number 114-306-07160 fits all years of 2002.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

37 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I have read of tubes being different lengths/styles and it is important to know that it gives an accurate oil level reading.  Have you confirmed that, with your recent oil refill?

E21 dipsitck is different length.  Is this engine from an E21?  The prescribed amount of oil capacity for an 02 will read overfill with an 02 pan and E24 block/dipstck/tube.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yeah it looks like that rubber cone is mostly gone, but comparing to another car with the same style of tube, the two dipsticks look the same and fit snug in the other car, but not in mine. So I’m thinking it’s something I’m doing wrong with the tube placement or orientation. 

I tried o-rings and rubber hose on the stick to see if I could get it to seal but those didn’t work. I think I have some junk plug wires, I’ll try that idea 

I did measure the tube height so that the stick reads oil level at least mostly accurate 

It is a 2002 block

1 hour ago, MOJOJOY said:

There is 2 sizes! You’ll need the bigger one 

B3474B71-D025-4400-9371-E4B60D1C9E2A.jpeg

@MOJOJOY - Do you have a resource for these? Last I looked they weren't easy to find...

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

• Alpina
2 hours ago, JsnPpp said:

@MOJOJOY - Do you have a resource for these? Last I looked they weren't easy to find...

Jason

No, not really. Just happened to have those. Need one? 

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)